Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Gilligan8

Question Best SandBlasting Cabinet/setup for $500 or less?

Ok... this little rinky dink setup from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...net-42202.html

I've siliconed it up, tapped into the bottom with the siphon tube to be more like the big boys, even did the orifice mod by azlo found here on this site ( http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=88862 ).

It still drives my wife crazy at how inconsistent it is and some times she can get a piece done in 20 seconds and other times over 5 mins! Same piece... just doesn't want to blow abrasive and the constant flow of useless air causes the piece to get messed up making it a reject.

It has definitely served its purpose and paid for itself and made us enough to buy a better setup.

I don't have a large compressor... but I do have two of them. One is a craftsman the other might be also but both are 5hp 30 (maybe only 20 but I think 30) gallon horizontal compressors. Specs on the older Craftsman CLAIM "8.6 scfm at 40 psi and 6.4 scfm at 90 psi" not sure on the other one as it is at a friends place.

I know the one I have now works hard... it can't keep up with the wife steady blowing air. It catches up when she takes out the pieces she's working on and reloads the cabinet.

We only blast small (5"x4"x4") glass pieces but we do load about 12 at a time and only that few because it gets crowded at that point. We do anywhere from 2-200 in a session... averaging about 24. I don't see us doing anything larger... we got it for this purpose exclusively. That being said, I'm not opposed to a larger unit... just saying this size doesn't hurt us much.

We also have issues (as I'm sure everyone does) with the protection film. We've tried various alternatives since the OEM stuff isn't available.

We are using glass bead No.4 (30-40) right now, we were using #6 but local shop was out and 4 seems to be working (when the system works) and I imagine I'll get more use out of it since it won't turn into dust the first time it breaks apart... could be wrong on that assumption.

Ok... enough rambling.

Where should we spend our money? Am I being unrealistic with a (soft) ceiling of $500?
Gilligan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Gilligan8

Default Re: Best SandBlasting Cabinet/setup for $500 or less?

Also if it keeps me from upgrading the compressor could I "link" the two together? Maybe a larger volume tank that they both feed? That would increase my CFM's right?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan8 View Post
Also if it keeps me from upgrading the compressor could I "link" the two together? Maybe a larger volume tank that they both feed? That would increase my CFM's right?
The compressor cfm won't change only the volume of air storage.

How about a used unit, with a dust collector?

Last edited by 930dreamer; 10-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.
930dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Gilligan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930dreamer View Post
The compressor cfm won't change only the volume of air storage.

How about a used unit, with a dust collector?
If I'm running TWO compressors wouldn't it "essentially" double the CFMs?

Two 6.4 compressors running simultaneously = 12.8 cfms right?

I'm down for used (that's how I got this cabinet)... what brand/model would you recommend?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I'm running TWO compressors wouldn't it "essentially" double the CFMs?

Two 6.4 compressors running simultaneously = 12.8 cfms right?

I'm down for used (that's how I got this cabinet)... what brand/model would you recommend?
Sorry, I thought you said two tanks. Look in Craigslist, I'm thinking about this one. Includes a dust collector $600 used.

Econoline DP 36-1 - includes line moisture filter and some fittings. New from Grainger - $2600
Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
dodge610

Check the TP tools website and look at skat blast cabinets. Or go on a website called Bad Boy Blasters they both have an assortment of blasters that should serve your purpose. You might wanna think about a good used compressor 5 to6 HP 80 Gallon tank that will not work as hard as the 2 you have. I do this on the side as a bussiness I have a skat blast cabinet with a 7 HP 80 gallon tank so far this has served the purpose.
dodge610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Gilligan8

Thanks will look into those options.

Somethings got to change.

Dodge do you think a larger compressor will work that much better than the two of these combined? I would have 60 gallons with essentially more hp/cfm per gallon wouldn't I?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Gilligan8

Wow, this is a busy site.

Monday bump to see what the weekday crowd thinks.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
brianpgriset

I got a used Trinco Model 36/BP2 (with dust collector) for $525 on a local classified ads. It needed a few odds and ends parts (maybe $50) to make it 100%. A bit higher than your ceiling, but it's an industrial duty cabinet. I say keep an eye out for used cabinets on Craigslist, dont but new.

I'd say invest in the air compressor though. I can hold the foot pedal down solid on mine and still it catches up and shut's off.
brianpgriset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
MartyO

Look at the TP tools site recommended above.
MartyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Gilligan8

Yeah it's on the agenda.

My buddy has some 60 gallon tanks at his shop that aren't fit for diving anymore so he will give me one of those. He's gonna weld some c channel on it so we can add a compressor and motor later.

For now I'll join the two smaller units and when that tank becomes available they will feed it... Sure recharge will be long but it should still work better than what I have now.

He also suggested putting a T at the bottom of the hopper where the feed tube begins... Put a ball valve so I can bring in atmos to blend in with the sand. What do you guys think? At least while I'm hunting for something else.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
Greatbear

The TP Tools 780 TL is $499, you get everything you need to start except for a dust collector. For occasional use you can use a shop vac. Any more than that I would get their dedicated dust collector VAC-40. There is a deal currently running that gives you the cab, the dust collector, a wheel kit and 25 pound of blasting media for $849. From the smallest 780 to their biggest models, the same basic blasting gun and media pickup setup is the same. I've had a couple of their cabinets for over 20 years and I have yet to find anything that works better at the price point. I highly recommend their gear. It's US-made as well.
Greatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
4v shane

build one yourself!
4v shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
MartyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbear View Post
The TP Tools 780 TL is $499, you get everything you need to start except for a dust collector. For occasional use you can use a shop vac. Any more than that I would get their dedicated dust collector VAC-40. There is a deal currently running that gives you the cab, the dust collector, a wheel kit and 25 pound of blasting media for $849. From the smallest 780 to their biggest models, the same basic blasting gun and media pickup setup is the same. I've had a couple of their cabinets for over 20 years and I have yet to find anything that works better at the price point. I highly recommend their gear. It's US-made as well.
I also recommend teh wheel kit if it is in the budget.

I wheel mine out opf the shop and use it there just to keep the fine particles out of the shop.

Keep in mind these are good cabinets, but all cabinets leak and a cheap cabinet will really make a mess of your shop!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Gilligan8

I'm digging it... just sure I'm ready to swing the $900 price yet.

What about one of those cheap pressure bottles from HF? I know it's not a perm solution but it would only be 130 bucks and if it got me a little further then I'd have more time to save for the real deal.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
MartyO

Quote:
I'm digging it... just sure I'm ready to swing the $900 price yet.

What about one of those cheap pressure bottles from HF? I know it's not a perm solution but it would only be 130 bucks and if it got me a little further then I'd have more time to save for the real deal.
Where will you be doing the work?

And how small are teh parts you will be working on?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
Gilligan8

Oh, sorry... I would feed this into my current cabinet. Not out in the open.

The area that I'm blasting is about 4"x4".
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
amolaver

i think the best results i've seen are to plumb a pressure pot's output into the cabinet. i've got a skat blast siphon model that works ok, but any moisture in the air is a major problem and may be at least part of your problem. do you have a good moisture filter ahead of the cabinet?

ahm
amolaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
Gilligan8

amolaver, Yeah, that would be my plan if I got a pressure pot.

I have A water trap/filter on there... but I'm sure it's junk.

I plan on taking a few other steps to fix that though.

Let me as this though... does the moisture cause surges and sputtering and then basically "go away" or is it something that would be more obvious?

I also need to sift my glass bead as I've got a little trash floating around there also. This cabinet doesn't really make for a very good media change... 3/4" pipe parellel to the floor coming out of the bottom of the funnel.

Maybe I need to make a bucket with inlet and outlet so as the media passes through it drops out (like a shop vac does with water). Then I could just run it till everything ends up in the bucket?

I've thought about having my buddy weld up a better trap door on it.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
amolaver

moisture causes the exact behavior you're referring to - surges/sputtering/complete stop of abrasive. definitely want to make sure the abrasive is clean / sifted. any junk in there will exacerbate the problem.

ahm
amolaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
Gilligan8

Ah ha!

Ok... I will have to sift things out and get some better/multiple traps going on! Water can build up QUICK in the trap. I am in South Louisiana so it is always humid!

Plus the tank I'm relying on now has a broken pet cock so I can't drain it.

Gonna fix that as soon as I get my other compressor from my buddy's house.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Gilligan8

This also explains why it works well for a while and then starts to mess up and seems to not stop messing up.

She gets pretty frustrated with it and I'm not much help in figuring it out as it LOOKS like it's flowing (or trying to).

What about my buddy's idea of bringing in some air from a T at the bottom of the hopper? Right now it pulls LARGE amounts of media up the tube in sections... like 4" or more of media then a gap of air then when it uses that media it pulls another section up.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #23
ibedayank

If the media is damp it will CLUMP up and clog the noozel
to run a blaster you need SERIOUS amounts of air like 18cfm at 90psi
get an air drier or make one... need filters on your compressor also
ibedayank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #24
4v shane

go to grainger and get a Wilkerson brand separator it will cost some $$$ but its well worth it in the end and make sure you have atleast 50 foot of hose between your compressor and air dryer/oil separator
4v shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #25
Gilligan8

Is it REALLY that good?!?!

Grainger wants almost $200 bucks for it! My compressor probably wasn't that much (I got it when a company was going out of business).
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #26
MartyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v shane View Post
make sure you have atleast 50 foot of hose between your compressor and air dryer/oil separator
Please explain.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
Gilligan8

I'm curious myself... I did just buy a cheap 50 footer.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #28
ibedayank

Quote:
go to grainger and get a Wilkerson brand separator it will cost some $$$ but its well worth it in the end and make sure you have atleast 50 foot of hose between your compressor and air dryer/oil separator
Hose is not going to help very much...now 50 feet of black iron pipe as big as you can aford run slanted with a drain at the end will.... or a grid with drains at the bottom of each loop
ibedayank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #29
Gilligan8

Quote:
Still looking to see if this wilkerson is really THAT good?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #30
OccupantRJ

Quote:
This also explains why it works well for a while and then starts to mess up and seems to not stop messing up.

She gets pretty frustrated with it and I'm not much help in figuring it out as it LOOKS like it's flowing (or trying to).

What about my buddy's idea of bringing in some air from a T at the bottom of the hopper? Right now it pulls LARGE amounts of media up the tube in sections... like 4" or more of media then a gap of air then when it uses that media it pulls another section up.
Your buddy has the right idea about introducing atmo air into the media stream. My cyclone separator has a mitered 90 on it, with a 3/8 or so hole drilled into the upper horizontal side of it. The suction hose is inserted into that 90 just enough to leave the hole partially exposed to the outside. The hose is held in place with a thumbscrew, to allow you to adjust the hose in or out for more atmo air, to smooth out the media flow. This increases the overall air flow volume through the blast gun and prevents the surging you describe.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #31
Gilligan8

Just to retouch on this topic.

I just installed a TP Tools 850T w/vac.

VERY pleased.

One issue... the gloves are too big for the wife.

Anyone got any sources for SMALL to MEDIUM sized gloves (hand size). 20-24" long, 7.25" or larger openings.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #32
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpgriset View Post
I got a used Trinco Model 36/BP2 (with dust collector) for $525 on a local classified ads. It needed a few odds and ends parts (maybe $50) to make it 100%. A bit higher than your ceiling, but it's an industrial duty cabinet. I say keep an eye out for used cabinets on Craigslist, dont but new.

I'd say invest in the air compressor though. I can hold the foot pedal down solid on mine and still it catches up and shut's off.
And I found a Trinco 36/BP2 for $250 on Craigslist (with dust collector).
I had been watching for over a year when it finally popped up.

Spent $75 on new gloves, nozzle and grommets for dust collector hose and good as new.

The best blast cabinet for under $500 is a $1200 cabinet you buy second hand.

I don't need chrome. . . . I like tools with "patina".

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #33
Gilligan8

Oh, how I wanted to find one on CL or at an auction. I just ran out of time.

I promised the wife I would get her a new cabinet with the next large order came in.

Well, our largest order to date came in only a few days later. So 1 grand I dropped. The order more than paid for it so I can't complain too much.

She's loving how well it works, though that dual pickup tube setup wouldn't be hard to duplicate if you didn't have one and would solve surging issues.

Now we just must find smaller gloves.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
W-Cummins
Too much stuff

Wilkerson Coalescing Filters are top shelf items, however I would never pay full price for a new one they are $$proud$$ of them. You can pick up a surplus one on e-bay for about 25-35% of the retail price. I have some for sale but they are way too large for your use, the filters would last forever though on your small compressor. The M32's I'm using are almost $900 each and I'm running 3 of them! A, M2X-XX sized unit would probably suit your needs nicely.

William...

1998 Dodge 3500 12 Valve TST 10, 3K GSK, ddp stage IV injectors, SB con-Fe
1987 Chevy 3500 24 valve Cummins, Nv4500, DD#2 injectors, Edge Comp
1955 Ford F100
1941 Chevy Panel
W-Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote