Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
hotsam

Default Antique Tool Box

This was my grandfather's. It hasn't been opened since 1977.

Dimensions: 40" long by 24" wide by 21 1/2" high.

Apparently, inset into the inside of the lid are carpenter's squares. Then there are "drawers" (more like boxes), that you lift out. There are 2 or 3 levels of these boxes. Then on the bottom of the box there are slots which saws slip in to.

Right now the box is in Maine, and I need to drive up and bring it back to my home, where I will open it and go through the contents.

Has anyone seen a box like this?

Last edited by hotsam; 10-03-2011 at 09:55 AM.
hotsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Cryo Gal

Default Re: Antique Tool Box

gorgeous! A time capsule, how cool!
Cryo Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Dude, what are you waiting for ? Go get it !

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Outlawmws

None of the rest of us can see the pic. you need to load it to the site, not use flickr where views are limited...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
hotsam

Added as an attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toolbox.jpg (106.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Outlawmws

That is one cool looking box. Can't wait to see what is inside.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
tvfd911

I've seen a box like that before. It was my grandpa's and I forget if it was his dad's or Grandma's dad's. From my research, there's a good chance that it was from a generation prior to Great Grandpa having it. There's likely spots for different sized hand planes as well.

Right now, it is still in the same place as its been as long as I can remember. Hopefully my uncle doesn't do something stupid with it. My grandma would give it to me in a heartbeat, but I don't have a place for it where it'd be any safer.

A prized piece for any wood worker. Please don't repurpose it or anything like that. I don't think there are too many of these left.
tvfd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
hotsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfd911 View Post
I've seen a box like that before. It was my grandpa's and I forget if it was his dad's or Grandma's dad's. From my research, there's a good chance that it was from a generation prior to Great Grandpa having it. There's likely spots for different sized hand planes as well.

Right now, it is still in the same place as its been as long as I can remember. Hopefully my uncle doesn't do something stupid with it. My grandma would give it to me in a heartbeat, but I don't have a place for it where it'd be any safer.

A prized piece for any wood worker. Please don't repurpose it or anything like that. I don't think there are too many of these left.
I plan on using it to store the stuff I don't use very often. I'll rest it (not attach it) on some mover's dollys and clean it, but that's about it.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

Thats an old carpenter's trunk and theyre common as the day is long (today = very long). Depending upon whether it was store bought, home made, and the maker, it could be very plain or very ornate inside. Ive seen them sell for anywhere from $25 to $1000+ in that shape on the exterior, but being Gpa's its fairly obvious you wont go that route. Im not sure you will find much useful inside unless youre a fan of the woodwright, but they definitely are neat and worthy of saving. Be careful of the missus, they love to "repurpose" those.

Thanks for preserving a little bit of history. Please dont refinish or repurpose it unless its really horrible inside.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanengineer View Post
Thats an old carpenter's trunk and theyre common as the day is long (today = very long). Depending upon whether it was store bought, home made, and the maker, it could be very plain or very ornate inside. Ive seen them sell for anywhere from $25 to $1000+ in that shape on the exterior, but being Gpa's its fairly obvious you wont go that route. Im not sure you will find much useful inside unless youre a fan of the woodwright, but they definitely are neat and worthy of saving. Be careful of the missus, they love to "repurpose" those.

Thanks for preserving a little bit of history. Please dont refinish or repurpose it unless its really horrible inside.
I can't agree with that at all. I'm working more and more with hand wood working tools, and with he exception of production wood working, and doing lots of cutoff or ripping, the hand tools have their place in any homeowner's wood shop. I do more work with hand planes, and a Japanese saw than all my other wood power tools combined, outside of the ripping and chop saw work on big jobs.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Shipfittin

They had one of these on "Pawn Stars" on The History Channel. I don't think they bought it off the guy, believe he wanted an arm and a leg for it.

They are very nice tool boxes and would have been essential for someone such as a carpenter/ wood worker in the past. My tool box I have at work is a crude modern version of it, but it's basically built for the idea that all your tools are in one place and it can be moved around.

Some of the intricate ones are really amazing.
Shipfittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
hotsam

I finally made the journey to Maine to get the box.

No real treasures inside, beside a few planes.

I'll post pics of the box when I unload it tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6780351482_0f5532f99e_b.jpg (70.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6780353020_812fc59f4b_b.jpg (84.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6926467529_f72e6bec53_b.jpg (85.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6926471825_079bd8a339_b.jpg (82.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6926473173_7439e5c08b_b.jpg (76.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
bacpacker

I think it's awesome. Sentimental value alone.
bacpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
hotsam

I'm debating restoring it (leaning toward not...just cleaning and preserving it). The reason to restore it would so that I could eventually hand it down to my son in good shape...apparently this was also my great grandfather's who had it in the early 1900's.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
woody 73

Very nice box and tools you have there
If you get the chance take an old rag and put some oil on it, then wipe down everything at least it will slow the rust down and help preserve the tools for the next generation to enjoy.
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote