Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
wasupdu

Default Keeping a 950 sq ft attached garage ABOVE freezing?

Hey guys,

I finally got done finishing off my garage and I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective option to heat my 4.5 car garage. I've insulated and plastered the entire garage including adding about a dozen electrical outlets, can lighting and a light trowel finish to the blue board we put up, but I've changed my mind and I want some sort of heat source now. I've noticed that the temps are significantly warmer than before, but what would you suggest as a relatively inexpensive heat source?

I live in southeastern WI and all that I'm concerned about is keeping the temps ABOVE freezing in the garage. If the garage stayed at 35 degrees (or above) in the winter I'd be a happy camper!
wasupdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Stinger

Default Re: Keeping a 950 sq ft attached garage ABOVE freezing?

I've found in my 700 sq ft garage, a very small electric heater that's only 1500w or so will keep my insulated garage over 55 degrees if left on high (outside temps down to 0F at night and 15F during the day) and will keep it at any temp below that with the thermostat.

I'm referring to something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-754200-C...7846487&sr=8-1

I'd think something like this would be more than enough to just keep yours above freezing: http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-758000-C...7846487&sr=8-5
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
jlckmj

I'm no expert, but I would imagine that if you were to install a good sized baseboard heater and a ceiling fan to keep the air distributed, you should have no problem keeping it above freezing, providing it is insulated well, and the doors is kept closed.

The real question is, how much will it cost you to do that?

Jim
jlckmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Steevo

I put this in my 24x40x12ft ceiling shop, and left at 45 degrees, it costs about $12 a month for gas between Nov and March:
Steevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
dave67fd

Quote:
1500w or so will keep my insulated garage over 55 degrees if left on high (outside temps down to 0F at night and 15F during the day) and will keep it at any temp below that with the thermostat.
You didn't mention how long it takes to get to 55 with a 0F outside ambient. I am guessing pretty much all day.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective option to heat my 4.5 car garage.
You have several options but my own personal opinion is to heat with Propane or NG. Electric heaters have cheaper initial costs but are costly to run and will require a 240V/30 Amp circuit to run to make it worthwhile. Just the opposite with gas heaters. Radiant gas heaters are the most efficient and cheaper to run but have a high initial cost. Stay away from non-vented or contractor type torpedo heaters or similar as they introduce a high amount of water vapor and CO (carbon monoxide) so i would suggest a gas vented heater.

This is what i have and their on SALE.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6365_200316365

Steevo beat me to the punch...

Last edited by dave67fd; 10-05-2011 at 10:28 PM.
dave67fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Thirsty

Your attached garage shouldn't get much below freezing without heat. The coldest I have seen my attached garage get was 30 degrees and it was 20 below with even colder windchill. Most of the winter it is 35-40 degrees even warmer with the sun shining.
Thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
LB-1911

Get a 1500 watt oil filled heater- use the 600 watt setting on low & go from there.
Plan on an approx. $60.00 increase on your elec. bill.

Steevo & dave67fd are spot-on. If you have acess to NG it's the only way to go.

Follow the other Elec heat only thread as well.
LB-1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
mpire

Move to Florida.
mpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
chadman

My attached 1000sf garage typically doesn't need any heat to stay above freezing. Before I got the floor heat hooked up I would just run a torpedo heater for long enough to get the entire garage up to 50-55 after I got home from work and then shut it off. It would hold enough heat until the next day. This was only necessary when the temps were in the single digits for a few days at a time. Even then it was only a cautionary measure. The lowest temp I actually observed was 36deg. The heat from the wall adjoining the house helps alot.
chadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
RKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB-1911 View Post
Get a 1500 watt oil filled heater- use the 600 watt setting on low & go from there.
Plan on an approx. $60.00 increase on your elec. bill.
I use one of these on a 80 sq ft interior room of the house 12 hours a day to generate an 8 degree rise and it easily adds $30 to the monthly electric ($60 when i forget to shut it off overnight a few times a month). I would think the money you'd throw away in a single winter running one of these in your garage could be applied to something much more cost efficient.
RKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Falcon67

My 5000W G73 kept the old shop at around 55~60F with it set on real low.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote