Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #21
mikev

Default Re: Best option for refinishing metal cabinets?

I made a Home Depot run today.

Picked up 4 quarts of Rustoleum, a gallon of mineral spirits, and a couple of the foam rollers, as well as 2 gallons of chemical stripper (it was on clearance for TWO DOLLARS per gallon!)

I've got about 3 weeks to get this done and the cabinets set up before I have to start remodeling a bathroom, so I'll try to get one or two per night done.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #22
rickairmedic

Mikey if they are not in bad shape then sand and paintt stripping will only make thte job longer and much more fun to do if you missed it see my other post on the bottom of page 2 no stripping on my cabinets just sand wipe down with laquer thinner and paint .

Rick
rickairmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #23
mikev

There are some rust areas, but maybe I can get away with just sanding the rust away and feathering it so it's still a smooth surface.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #24
Uncle Buck
Banned

The only down side to Rust-O-Leum is the drying time is days as opposed to the Van Sickle brand tractor paint sold by Tractor Supply; it has a much shorter drying time than the Rust-O-Leum brand and everything you can do with Rust-O-Leum you can do with Van Sickle. I have used em both and Van Sickle is better to work with and looks just as good dry!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:10 AM   #25
mikev

The closest Tractor Supply to me is approximately 3 hours away.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #26
DynoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholmberg View Post
Van Sickle tractor paint available at Tractor Supply Company; if that is not to your liking any oil based enamel available would do nicely. Sand and prep to your liking prior to painting.
Glad to see a suggestion for Van Sickle. I've never used it myself, but just ordered a qt. by mail to paint my new access door. They were the only place I could find that offered Sinclair Green!

No TSC store near by? Order by phone from these folks...very friendly and helpful. Paint arrived in 3 days. This is their special matched colors page (I bought #23!), but you can go HOME from there. Actually, they'll refer you to their distributor, P&R Supply in Dodge City, KS. (800-279-1770) who I actually ordered from. (FYI - AG Spectialties and Van Sickle are the same company, just different marketing names).

http://www.agspecialty.com/specmtch.htm

Another option for folks who can't spray paint to consider...contact paper! I know what you are thinking, but check it out. It's vinyl like properties can make it easy to work with, and clean fingerprints from. It's incredibly forgiving, and has been on my cabinets (below) for over 10 years. Decent price too. Work on them at your leisure, do one cabinet or door at a time, no mixing/thinning or spraying. Easy to do in an attached garage (like these are) because there are no fumes. All you need is a sharp utility knife and some clean cabinets. I just bought 6 rolls of black and white checkered contact paper (on sale for 1/2 price at a Rite Aid going out of business sale) for the interior shelves of the old kitchen cabinets I'm putting in the new garage.

WPC #12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
1988 Pontiac Firebird TransAm

Last edited by DynoDave; 10-13-2007 at 08:35 AM.
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #27
PoorOwner

MXtras I am using the same rattle can as you to paint a small metal piece. I found the spray looks nice for a rattle can.

I put on one coat and plan to put another tomorrow. I am having the problem with uneven gloss on one of them was wondering why.
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #28
mikev

PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE!!!!

Here's what I started with

And here I am after getting down the first coat with the foam roller and spraycan method.

I'm probably going to ditch the roller and go and get myself a little spray gun, it'll make it go much quicker.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #29
PoorOwner

Hey looks good I love that blue. is that the rustoleum professional?

HF has a gun on sale now for $20
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43430

didn't know you have quite so much cabinets there, definitely spray it
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #30
mikev

No, it's not professional, it's the plain old oil based white can rustoleum stops rust.

Those pictures make it look a lot brighter than it is, it's actually Royal blue and not the Sail Blue
Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #31
MXtras

The blue I have used (Sail blue) actually ages to a slightly less bold color. When newly finished paint is set beside something painted a few months ago, the colors look completely different - enough to make you check the can, but the new one will slowly age to the same exact color after a week or so. Don't be alarmed.

Poorguy - the difference in gloss you are experiencing is likely from different build thickness. When bomb-canning, you have to look at the shine from an angle as the paint is being applied - a typical can of Rustoleum only sprays a decent gloss in the central 3"-4" of the pattern when held about 8" away. The rest of the pattern is applying paint, but not at the same rate, therefore the gloss on the outer edges of the apparent pattern will likely have a little texture. Overlap the good patterns and angle the can just a tad in a direction that uses the 'overspray' to mist onto an unpainted surface - not back over what you just sprayed. It will likely melt in even if you do, but on larger or more complicated pieces, finding a good starting and stopping point can be a pain.

Either that or just roll it - like Mike-v did. His cabinets look like they are coming out really, really well. Nice job!

That little HF gun is a decent buy, I think. Pick up two of them if they go on sale - it's handy to have a spare for 'just in case'. Especially at that price. Just make sure you have dry air. The spray pattern of those guns is a lot better than a spray can, that's for sure. Not as good as it could be, but pretty darned good for what it is.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Scott

Link to workstation plans for download (FREE) - http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm

Last edited by MXtras; 10-16-2007 at 12:18 AM.
MXtras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:33 AM   #32
mikev

Thinning out the paint with some mineral spirits helped a lot as well, but damned if it didn't bubble a LOT when I first put it on with the foam roller.

For 20 bucks though, it's hard to NOT go and get that HF gun.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #33
wilbilt
Banned

Another thing to consider is what the existing paint is. A lot of the old kitchen cabinets got overcoated with cheap latex house paint over the years.

If you apply an oil based paint over it, it may bubble or worse.

I did a set of uppers a couple of weeks ago that were predominately white, but I was not sure of the type pf paint on them. I hit them with a DA for a few minutes to scuff them up.

The paint did not ball up like latex would, so I wiped them down with mineral spirits and sprayed with some thinned Rustoleum Smoke Gray.

They came out acceptably nice, but I am not really a big fan of spraying Rustoleum. I used it because I had it, but have had better results with Devoe industrial enamels or some of the tractor paints.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #34
MXtras

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbilt View Post
...but I am not really a big fan of spraying Rustoleum. I used it because I had it, but have had better results with Devoe industrial enamels or some of the tractor paints.
There are better spraying paints, for sure, but it's hard to beat the convenience - the paint is readily available and reasonably durable.

Good point about the latex, too.

Scott

Link to workstation plans for download (FREE) - http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm
MXtras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 AM   #35
mikev

Sheesh. Talk about a return from the dead post! Last October!?

Well, a bathroom remodel, new windows in the house, and a whole heap of other stuff got in the way of getting the cabinets finished up until recently. After getting the first couple finished (shown previously in the thread) I actually ended up changing my mind on the color. Still Rustoleum, but I went with the deep blue hammered finish instead of the royal blue. Little darker, and I actually like the hammer finish because it hides imperfections and it's easy to touch up - just spraybomb it!

Okay, on to the picture. I am waiting on the top still, I think I'm going to use 16ga galvanized steel and splurge on the little stick on diamond plate baseboard for the toekicks on the cabinets.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #36
MustHang

Nice ! Love that blue.

20' x 24' currently under makeover
MustHang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #37
Steve in Mi

mikev, the cabinets look GREAT!

What method did you decide on for applying the paint?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #38
mikev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Mi View Post
mikev, the cabinets look GREAT!

What method did you decide on for applying the paint?
Spraybomb
Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #39
Steve in Mi

Spraybombs! That's an amazing job. I estimate 14 cans minimum for the exposed areas we see (none between cabinets joined together, the backside or any inside), am I close? I have been tempted to buy one of the trigger handles to use on spray cans but haven't yet. If I had a job that size a trigger handle would top the list of items to get. Very Nice!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #40
mikev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Mi View Post
Spraybombs! That's an amazing job. I estimate 14 cans minimum for the exposed areas we see (none between cabinets joined together, the backside or any inside), am I close? I have been tempted to buy one of the trigger handles to use on spray cans but haven't yet. If I had a job that size a trigger handle would top the list of items to get. Very Nice!
it was a whole lot of spray cans

Oh, the trigger handles TOTALLY SUCK! I tried using one for 1/2 of a can and it failed miserably -- it doesn't press the nozzle straight down, it depresses in an arc so the nozzle is pushed down AND back, creating a bunch of gigantic gobs of paint instead of a halfway decent spray pattern.