Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
I void warranties
Senior Member
 
I void warranties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 596
Question Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

"Secure Set" Anybody ever use this product ?
\\\\\ SEE PRICES AND DISTRIBUTOR DETAIL BELOW //////

http://youtu.be/70gwn4P6UBQ

http://youtu.be/cYMU_zZrkQ4

Secure Set is used for setting power poles, utility poles, telephone poles, light poles, and privacy fence post. This video demonstrates the advantages of using Secure Set over cement in setting privacy fence post. The advantages are numerous especially in the reduction of time and labor. For the individual there is a enormous difference when using Secure Set compared to cement with regard to the amount of weight that must be lifted in preforming the same job.

Last edited by I void warranties; 10-14-2011 at 01:16 PM.
I void warranties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
I void warranties
Senior Member
 
I void warranties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 596
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

bbb ump....
I void warranties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
wormwood
Senior Member
 
wormwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dixie
Posts: 912
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

Can't find where you buy it/cost?
wormwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
bob ny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: upstate new york
Posts: 289
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

all I could find is that it is available in canada. I bet it is expensive bob w.
bob ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
blstickley
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 52
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

cool idea but crusher run and a good tamping is as good as concrete and a much better value!
blstickley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
bullfrog123
Senior Member
 
bullfrog123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE Idaho
Posts: 410
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

That was my first thought too was the price... If it ain't available locally or at the big box stores can only imagine the $$$. The concept and vids look awesome, but when I need to set 250 posts at a time..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$
bullfrog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Brad54
Senior Member
 
Brad54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,021
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

When I was a kid, my dad set some posts for a short picket fence in front of our house, a post for an old farm bell in back, and our mail box.

He dug the hole, set the pole in there, and added some of the dirt he took out; ran some water in from the hose, and with a dowel rod, he started working the dirt/water with the rod, tamping it down until it was packed solid. Added more dirt/water, tamped, and kept doing that until the hole was full.

It's been 25 years, and all the posts are still secure. My guess is they didn't rot because they were pressure treated, and there was no concrete to hold the water against the wood--any water just dispersed into the soil.

-Brad
__________________
There is no such thing as a stupid question.
But there sure are a lot of stupid people asking questions.

Parting out Reed and Columbia vises
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139072
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
I void warranties
Senior Member
 
I void warranties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 596
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

ok prices as follows:

sold per gallon, complete kit includes all necessary mixer cups, stirrers etc.
$26.00 per gallon (two parts)
yields with 8" x 24" deep hole, 5-6 holes
best used when temps are above 5o degrees for maximum expansion
closed cell, no water absorption
can fill vinyl fence posts
ships ups

sold by:

GRA Services International
5000 East 2nd Street
Edmond, OK 73034-7545
Phone: (405) 330-2395
Fax: (405) 330-1397
E-mail: info@graservices.com

http://www.graservices.com/products/
I void warranties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Major Ramifications
Senior Member
 
Major Ramifications's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: River Ridge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,829
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

It looks like a variation of the stuff they use to pack boxes with.
To use Secure Set commercially, it seems like a roll around unit with two tanks and a hose and gun that mixed the components as they were squirted into the hole would be very beneficial. Like a concrete mixer instead of using the bags.
Major Ramifications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
I void warranties
Senior Member
 
I void warranties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 596
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

i am really considering this method for my new pvc fence in the spring..
I void warranties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
chammyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 867
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
When I was a kid, my dad set some posts for a short picket fence in front of our house, a post for an old farm bell in back, and our mail box.

He dug the hole, set the pole in there, and added some of the dirt he took out; ran some water in from the hose, and with a dowel rod, he started working the dirt/water with the rod, tamping it down until it was packed solid. Added more dirt/water, tamped, and kept doing that until the hole was full.

It's been 25 years, and all the posts are still secure. My guess is they didn't rot because they were pressure treated, and there was no concrete to hold the water against the wood--any water just dispersed into the soil.

-Brad
old school.

We have fences over here hundreds of years old that used that method, they are still fine.

If you pull them out they are often oil soaked and wrapped in skins or cloth though.
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
SuperSocket
Senior Member
 
SuperSocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

Not sure how strong this will be for a security perspective compared to concrete.
SuperSocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
SuperSocket
Senior Member
 
SuperSocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

In the video they could have also used steel posts and a post driver, would be even cheaper and faster.
SuperSocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
I void warranties
Senior Member
 
I void warranties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 596
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockie View Post
Not sure how strong this will be for a security perspective compared to concrete.
see the video, http://youtu.be/ysNxHt3JSGo
I void warranties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
SuperSocket
Senior Member
 
SuperSocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I void warranties View Post
I am actually quite impressed.
SuperSocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
66HertzClone
Alliance Member
 
66HertzClone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Califon, NJ
Posts: 1,364
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

My son has been bugging us to build a tree house, we are likely going to build a fort on posts this spring. It will be in a remote part of the yard and this would make setting columns far faster than mixing sakrete on the spot.
__________________


My Mustang

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake.

Home, home again, I like to be there when I can

Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic

Great thoughts overwhelm a feeble mind

Quote:
She does have a great rack...
__________________

-Raccoon-
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
michael11747
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

So I have been searching the internet on tips on secure set, as I am in the middle of doing a 500 foot fence with it. Ask me anything you want to know. I'll leave a few things I noticed down below, but overall, I am liking this product. It's pretty easy to use, quick setting, and solid so far. I have noticed a few things which I did not see on the video, and am doing research (although there doesn't seem to be much) to try to figure out better methods.

- First, the foam is HEAVY. It's not like other foam you've held in your hand, I think it's 4 lb/ cubic foot. It sets up solid and is really hard stuff. You really have to stab at it with a knife to puncture it.

- The major drawback I noticed is that when it rises, it rises like dough in a pan. Meaning, that the sides don't totally touch the sides of the pole or the hole. My mixtures were pretty much exactly 50:50 so I'm not sure if this is normal.

- No matter what I did, I could not get the buckets to run out at the same time. I measured three times, and made a "jig" to use on other coffee cups to make sure I was using the exact amounts using a kitchen measuring cup for accuracy (with water to get a 50:50 ratio on my cups). I don't know why this happens, and now have some left over component A. Component A is the dark reddish, less viscous, and less heavy material. The component B is honey colored, and pretty much looks and behaves just like honey at room temperature. It is much heavier than A.

- Because of this, I would suggest digging a deeper hole, for more contact between pole and foam. I luckily went with a 3 foot hole on an 8 foot post, for a 6 foot fence overall. I am going to top my holes off with more secure set when my next order gets here.

- I found the pouring and mixing a complete mess, even with a lot of planning and prep. The bucket that is supplied with the kit lasts like 4 bucket fulls before it becomes un-useable. Same with the mixer. I solved this problem by going to Walmart, buying a few packages of 32 oz styrofoam coffee cups (biggest I could find, but go with bigger if you can find them, 64 oz would have been perfect). I marked a 50:50 ratio of 16 oz of component A and B (each) on the inside of each cup, and poured in the mixture, then just let the cup drain upside down as I moved on to the next post. When you mix on high speed with a drill, you will be shooting foam everywhere as you pull out. I rested the mixer on the edge of the cup as I pulled it out, which helped minimize the splatter greatly. Then spun the drill in the hole to get it pretty clean. With this method my mixer lasted about 10 poles before I switched it out.

- It is really expensive. I ordered mine from Doug at GRA, and he is a really nice guy. I hope he reads this actually. The stuff should be better priced in my opinion. I've seen similar foams much cheaper, but then again, those businesses are no longer on the internet, which is why I went with secure set. I like the product, but I am using around 30 gallons of this stuff, and with shipping it is comparable to concrete.

- If your hole is very wide, but shallow (I had bedrock in a few spots) secure set will not work. Unless your pole is short. In this case, mass would be preferable, and therefore concrete. I figured I would have problems in that spot, so I had a plan B, which was to span that area, and then add supports diagonally. It seems pretty stable this way.

That's about it for the negatives. The main thing which I didn't like is how the foam pulls away at the edges and forms a doughnut type seal. I feel like if the foam puffed out first, then sank in a little, it would have a much tighter seal around the pole.

The pros are obvious. I am one guy, doing a 500 foot long fence. I am on day 3 and 3/4 done (I ran out of secure set). I don't think I will use concrete for fences again, I really love being able to dig, set posts, and put up rails in the same day. HUGE plus. Water doesn't seem to permeate the outside of this stuff, it just balls up, and rolls off of it like a marble. Pretty cool. Some other things I would use this for are ground level decks, filling old gopher holes, and things like that. If this thread isn't dead, I can post some pictures and maybe a video, but I don't want to be talking to myself here... Or is it too late for that?

Last edited by michael11747; 06-09-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: grammar
michael11747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
michael11747
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

I don't think I would use this for anything higher than ground level. I asked Doug about doing an upper level deck with it and he suggested I stick to concrete for that. I have been using this alot and like it, let me know if you have any questions about it.
michael11747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
theoldwizard1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE MI
Posts: 10,385
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
- The major drawback I noticed is that when it rises, it rises like dough in a pan. Meaning, that the sides don't totally touch the sides of the pole or the hole. My mixtures were pretty much exactly 50:50 so I'm not sure if this is normal.
Watching the videos I found, they said to pour the mixture down the sides of the post. If you can do this (the person in the video did not get much on the post while pouring) it would give you more contact area.

Second, the video emphasized that the hole be dry. Next to impossible in my area except during the middle of summer.
theoldwizard1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
cordovaii
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: Fence Pole Installation Without Cement "Secure Set"

Michael,

Thanks for explaining your experience with the product.

Can you tell me what type of posts you used?

Example: 4 x 4 posts

Also, how far did you go down?

He mentioned 24" at first, but I was more comfortable with 36".

Your thoughts?

Mani


Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
So I have been searching the internet on tips on secure set, as I am in the middle of doing a 500 foot fence with it. Ask me anything you want to know. I'll leave a few things I noticed down below, but overall, I am liking this product. It's pretty easy to use, quick setting, and solid so far. I have noticed a few things which I did not see on the video, and am doing research (although there doesn't seem to be much) to try to figure out better methods.

- First, the foam is HEAVY. It's not like other foam you've held in your hand, I think it's 4 lb/ cubic foot. It sets up solid and is really hard stuff. You really have to stab at it with a knife to puncture it.

- The major drawback I noticed is that when it rises, it rises like dough in a pan. Meaning, that the sides don't totally touch the sides of the pole or the hole. My mixtures were pretty much exactly 50:50 so I'm not sure if this is normal.

- No matter what I did, I could not get the buckets to run out at the same time. I measured three times, and made a "jig" to use on other coffee cups to make sure I was using the exact amounts using a kitchen measuring cup for accuracy (with water to get a 50:50 ratio on my cups). I don't know why this happens, and now have some left over component A. Component A is the dark reddish, less viscous, and less heavy material. The component B is honey colored, and pretty much looks and behaves just like honey at room temperature. It is much heavier than A.

- Because of this, I would suggest digging a deeper hole, for more contact between pole and foam. I luckily went with a 3 foot hole on an 8 foot post, for a 6 foot fence overall. I am going to top my holes off with more secure set when my next order gets here.

- I found the pouring and mixing a complete mess, even with a lot of planning and prep. The bucket that is supplied with the kit lasts like 4 bucket fulls before it becomes un-useable. Same with the mixer. I solved this problem by going to Walmart, buying a few packages of 32 oz styrofoam coffee cups (biggest I could find, but go with bigger if you can find them, 64 oz would have been perfect). I marked a 50:50 ratio of 16 oz of component A and B (each) on the inside of each cup, and poured in the mixture, then just let the cup drain upside down as I moved on to the next post. When you mix on high speed with a drill, you will be shooting foam everywhere as you pull out. I rested the mixer on the edge of the cup as I pulled it out, which helped minimize the splatter greatly. Then spun the drill in the hole to get it pretty clean. With this method my mixer lasted about 10 poles before I switched it out.

- It is really expensive. I ordered mine from Doug at GRA, and he is a really nice guy. I hope he reads this actually. The stuff should be better priced in my opinion. I've seen similar foams much cheaper, but then again, those businesses are no longer on the internet, which is why I went with secure set. I like the product, but I am using around 30 gallons of this stuff, and with shipping it is comparable to concrete.

- If your hole is very wide, but shallow (I had bedrock in a few spots) secure set will not work. Unless your pole is short. In this case, mass would be preferable, and therefore concrete. I figured I would have problems in that spot, so I had a plan B, which was to span that area, and then add supports diagonally. It seems pretty stable this way.

That's about it for the negatives. The main thing which I didn't like is how the foam pulls away at the edges and forms a doughnut type seal. I feel like if the foam puffed out first, then sank in a little, it would have a much tighter seal around the pole.

The pros are obvious. I am one guy, doing a 500 foot long fence. I am on day 3 and 3/4 done (I ran out of secure set). I don't think I will use concrete for fences again, I really love being able to dig, set posts, and put up rails in the same day. HUGE plus. Water doesn't seem to permeate the outside of this stuff, it just balls up, and rolls off of it like a marble. Pretty cool. Some other things I would use this for are ground level decks, filling old gopher holes, and things like that. If this thread isn't dead, I can post some pictures and maybe a video, but I don't want to be talking to myself here... Or is it too late for that?
cordovaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
secure set

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.