Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
bayoutoolguy

Default duralast tools must haves?

ive become a considerable fan of duralast tools, namely the ratchets and sockets, pretty good quality and pretty tough. ive heard they will be getting rid of the good line of tools, and replacing it with great neck, so my question is, what are some tools i should grab up before they replace it all with great neck? ive got the good ratchets, going to get the 40 pc. 3/8 drive socket set to keep in my truck, one member on here said its one of the best values offered and a decent set. can i still order the comfort handle ratchets or are they no longer made?
bayoutoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
NWphotog

Default Re: duralast tools must haves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoutoolguy View Post
ive become a considerable fan of duralast tools, namely the ratchets and sockets, pretty good quality and pretty tough. ive heard they will be getting rid of the good line of tools, and replacing it with great neck, so my question is, what are some tools i should grab up before they replace it all with great neck? ive got the good ratchets, going to get the 40 pc. 3/8 drive socket set to keep in my truck, one member on here said its one of the best values offered and a decent set. can i still order the comfort handle ratchets or are they no longer made?

I don't think AZ is replacing Duralast with rebranded Great Neck (at least not yet). What they have done is added rebranded GN tools to the regular Duralast stuff. Will they discontinue the good items in the future? No idea.
NWphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
bayoutoolguy

so what are some of the genuine duralast tools and are there any markings, differences, etc. so i can distinguish them from rebranded great neck?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
CD1

The comfort handled ratchets are still available. The 3/8" drive CH is now $10 less than last spring.
CD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
John316

The "good" duralast sockets are pretty much gone with a few exceptions:

You may still be able to special order the master SAE socket set which is p/n: 70-322. The metric equivalent #70-324 is gone.

I think also you can special order the socket sets #70-501 (22pc) and #70-502 (40pc)

Aside from that you may see a few old style sockets here and there in stores, but you have to be able to spot the differences to be sure which is which. Once you see the older style they stand out compared to the new ones. The chrome is way better on the old and the bevel is different on the deep wells. The older style has the long bevel like a snap-on.

The "good" wrenches are available in stores as singles and as of a month ago you could still special order the good sets which are #70-001 metric and #70-003 SAE for $24.99 ea which is a steal IMHO. The sets in stores are the new rebranded greatneck quality. You want the ones with the red or blue dots.

The good ratchets are still in stores along side some rebranded china crapsters. Last I knew you could still special order the comfort grips and stubby. The ratchet #'s are:

1/4" Chrome #71-416
1/4" Chrome Flex #71-417
3/8" Chrome #73-870
3/8" Chrome Flex #73-871
3/8" Chrome Stubby #73-872
3/8" Comfort Grip #73-873
1/2" Chrome #72-126
1/2" Comfort Grip #72-127

The old style breaker bar is special order for $19.99 #72-124

The Screwdrivers are being phased out with Chinese "knock offs" of what are the better Taiwan screwdrivers. The better ones have a red surrounding the shank at the top of the handles. You may still be able to special order the better set which is #70-200

The pliers were always China I believe and I am not sure how the ratcheting wrenches or anything else is/was.

The special order process if great in my area. I go in store and pay for the items and they usually call the next day with the item. YMMV, but it beats paying shipping and waiting for a week. Also keep in mind that they may use the same part numbers for future "versions" of these tools (as with the screwdrivers), so the p/n may not guarantee you get the better quality Duralast in the future, although I think the special order stuff is safe until it's gone.

Last edited by John316; 10-13-2011 at 11:37 PM.
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Ritter4.0

Any screwdrivers that have the red in the handle are good, the new all blue handled ones are supposedly not to good. I don't have any of the new ones, but have some of the blue/red handled ones and they're pretty good so far.

Check the plastic hanger, if it says taiwan, or chromoly anywhere on it, then its probably one of the better Duralast tools. The ratchets and extensions are worth getting while they're good.

The older necked down sockets are supposed to be good, but getting harder and harder to find. There is a newer necked down style that doesn't look as good.

The ratcheting wrenches with the knurled look and "Guaranteed for Life" stamped in them are great too. They're very flat and thin.
Ritter4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
db130

their website offers free shipping for orders that total $75 or more and right now they are offering a $15 GC for puchases that total $100 or more.

i have their 1/4" flex and the 3/8" ratchet
db130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
John316

I also have the "Double Duty" wrench sets #70-008 and #70-009 which are very similar to the Grearwrench Quadbox wrenches. The quality is great, but they raised the price from $19.99 a set, which was borderline expensive, to $29.99 a set which is ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
bimmer630

I looked at duralast stuff at AZ a few years ago and thought it all looked like crap. But thats just me
bimmer630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
chewy7

none
Old 10-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
NJHandyGuy

Send a message via AIM to NJHandyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316 View Post
I also have the "Double Duty" wrench sets #70-008 and #70-009 which are very similar to the Grearwrench Quadbox wrenches. The quality is great, but they raised the price from $19.99 a set, which was borderline expensive, to $29.99 a set which is ridiculous.

as the only tool i have i haven't destroyed from duralast i will say these are great but too expensive for what you get
www.Libertytowing.webs.com
NJHandyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
AZ_Catskinner

I bought a set of Duralast sockets recently (3/8" Metric deep) and they are the rebranded Great Necks. Crappy fit, crappy finish, crappy sockets. Not even close to being worth the $14.99 I paid for them.

If it hadn't been for an immediate need (I carry no metric in the Bronco and we needed to change an alternator on an Aveo in a motel parking lot), I'd have turned up my nose at them.
AZ_Catskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
FergusonTO35

I used to work part time at the Zone. The Duralast story of declining quality is just how I remember that place. Helpful employees, dreadfully cheap parts. I'll stick to buying used tools from Fleabay.
FergusonTO35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
rocco

i quite enjoy beating on the teardrop 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets i bought at AutoZone last spring - they've become my go to ratchets as they work nice, i could care less if i scuff them up or drop them and that's a nice feeling to have about what seems to actually be a quality tool.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
Pro-Painter

Almost all of the old duralast tools are outstanding quality for any brand. USA or imported. Their sealed ratchets, old sockets, old (turned down) style extensions, long combo wrenches, screwdrivers (with red), S2 torx/hex sockets, spark plug sockets, etc are all great quality. The strength, fit, finish and styles are much better then the local Danaher/Stanley store brands (Craftsman, Kobalt,Allen, Gearwrench, Husky, Stanley etc).

The new Duralast tools are HF/wal mart quality and not worth the steel they are made from. They may do the job, but they are nothing like the old tools.

Ive read many, many people on this forum make claims that they broke the old duralast tools, yet Ive only seen ONE person describe, and show pictures of the broken tool and he admitted that he had to use a very long cheater bar to make it fail.
For some reason their is a huge hate towered Duralast tools across all tool forums. I can only assume that it has to do with their close likeness to Snap-on, and the fact that autozone sells them. However, Me and a few others on this forum use and abuse Duralast tools every day in a professional setting. I abuse my tools. I don't like 1/2" drive hand tools much so I'm always using a 1/4" and 3/8" drive where I should be using a larger drive. It's common for me to use a floor jack handle as a cheater bar on my 3/8" drive ratchets. And even with my lack of proper tool selection, Ive yet to have a Duralast tool fail me.

So if you do buy Duralast, Buy NOS or used, and don't believe all the Duralast bashes stories because most are just that... stories.
Pro-Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
diesel research

I thought you liquidated your duralast collection and moved up to northern brand? I woulda swore I saw such a classified ad?
diesel research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Pro-Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel research View Post
I thought you liquidated your duralast collection and moved up to northern brand? I woulda swore I saw such a classified ad?
me? Ive not sold any of my Duralast tools nor would I. However, I did sell some northern combo's recently. Before I found Duralast, Most of my tools where either Williams, Williams made Kobalt or NAPA USA tools (Danaher).

Northern tools, although good for the price are nothing compared to the old duralast.

Last edited by Pro-Painter; 10-14-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
powertrip

What features or markings am i looking for when i purchase one of the older/better quality ratchets?
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
John316

The good ratchets all have the small metal selector like the one below.
All the ratchet part numbers in my above post are the older good ones.
The standard chrome and flex versions are available in stores and you
can special order the comfort grip and stubby versions.

Last edited by John316; 10-14-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
powertrip

Thanks
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
Pro-Painter

wrenches: The old wrenches are very long. (1/4 & 7mm" wrench is 5.5" long) They have dumb blue/red dots on them and say "Guaranteed for life" on the back, they also have the size stamped on the open end. The new wrenches are very short, china made and sold in sets only.

Sockets are a bit more tricky. The picture below shows all 3 styles of sockets.
:Left socket is the old style CR-MO sockets that came in sets and singles.
:Middle socket is the china made (great neck) sockets that come in the new sets only.
:Right socket is the new CR-V singles that are sold in store. The new singles are still Taiwan made, and are better quality then the sets but still pretty shitty.

Torx/hex sockets: Old sockets have a yellow band around the bottom, made in Taiwan and have S2 steel bits. The new ones are china made and made of CR-V.

Screwdrivers: Old screwdrivers have blue and black handles with a red ring on top where the blade attached to the handle. The new style does not have any red on it and the overall quality of the handle will be very apparent.

Extensions: The old extensions are "turned down". Meaning they are thiner in the middle and have a bulge at the bottom where the socket attached. The new ones are very thick from start to bottom. The quickest way to tell is by the tag. The old extensions are made of chrome molly, new ones are CR-V.

U-Joint extensions: Old u-joints have a black drive joint in the center, flat on the drive end and have torx screws that hold them together. The new ones are much larger in size, all chrome, and have pins that hold them together.

Ratcheting wrenches: New style have a textured "non slip" finish. The old ones are polished chrome.

Spark plug sockets: Old sockets are magnetic, long and have knurled centers. News ones have a rubber insert, and no knurling.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
bayoutoolguy

i def agree despite what other people say those tools are very high quality.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #23
John316

I wonder what ever happened to the factory in Taiwan that was making Duralast tools. If they:
1. cut ties with AZ and improved the branding/marketing
2. expanded what they offered to include some fine tooth ratchets in more variations.
3. Dropped the backward red/blue color scheme (or at least reverse it)
4. Maintain the level of quality that the former Duralast line was and refuse to brand any crappy product so that people can trust the brand.

They could become a major player in the US hand tool market. Too bad AZ is more interested in capitalizing on the guy who is in a jam than building a trustworthy brand of anything.

Last edited by John316; 10-15-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #24
CHRIS LUCKYMAN
Banned

A couple of months ago, I found a small set of deep 1/4" duralast sockets. The 10mm deep comes in handy when you use it as a drift to drive out bushings. I've found I get the best results when using a larger hammer. The socket makes a great drift, I haven't broken it yet, but have deformed the drive end with the hammer. Definitely a high quality tool.
CHRIS LUCKYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #25
Blacknwhitepit

Duralast... Not again.....

Last edited by Blacknwhitepit; 10-19-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Blacknwhitepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
bayoutoolguy

i guess youre not a duralast fan lol
Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #27
Catamount

Add me to the list of happy Duralast users... the "old" stuff at least. Actually, based on the recommendation of someone where I took apart all of the heads tonight and slathered in some white lithium grease. They are incredibly smooth now and blow away my Craftsman wrenches.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #28
Pro-Painter

Quote:
i guess youre not a duralast fan lol
Here at GJ, we just can't get enough of the "not this shit again" pictures and comments. In fact, We like them so much that we like to restore 5 DAY OLD threads just to say "Not this thread again!"

What would we do without all the useless "not this thread again" comments... Talk about tools? Nah that would be just crazy.

It's even better when they don't have enough room in their comment, and make a very clever signature to expresses their hate of others tools. It's especially cool when they copy another members signature, add made up words to make it kinda sound like the brand that member likes, and bash him for it!.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
bayoutoolguy

catamount, did you do the spring clip mood too or just greased them?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
FergusonTO35

The facepalm pic is how I feel whenever the owner or retailer of a respectable tool brand decides to whore it out for increased sales. This is precisely what happened to Kobalt and the trend is now claiming formerly stalwart USA brands like Channellock and Estwing.
FergusonTO35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #31
4x4gearhead

I was unaware of this upcoming change, it seems that turning everything to the great neck brand would be one of the worst things they could do. I have a couple of their real duralast ratchets, a little coarse but very tough (seeing how they are obviously the old snap on 936 patents). I will make it a point to buy a few more. Anyways their sockets and wrenches are on the top of the must haves for sure. I havent used their screwdrivers, and honestly I have enough sets of screwdrivers to draw the line on buying them. I wish I could do the same with ratchets but, I guess I just love ratchets and having options.

Last edited by 4x4gearhead; 10-20-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: grammar
4x4gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #32
HandyManny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Painter View Post
Almost all of the old duralast tools are outstanding quality for any brand. USA or imported. Their sealed ratchets, old sockets, old (turned down) style extensions, long combo wrenches, screwdrivers (with red), S2 torx/hex sockets, spark plug sockets, etc are all great quality. The strength, fit, finish and styles are much better then the local Danaher/Stanley store brands (Craftsman, Kobalt,Allen, Gearwrench, Husky, Stanley etc).

The new Duralast tools are HF/wal mart quality and not worth the steel they are made from. They may do the job, but they are nothing like the old tools.

Ive read many, many people on this forum make claims that they broke the old duralast tools, yet Ive only seen ONE person describe, and show pictures of the broken tool and he admitted that he had to use a very long cheater bar to make it fail.
For some reason their is a huge hate towered Duralast tools across all tool forums. I can only assume that it has to do with their close likeness to Snap-on, and the fact that autozone sells them. However, Me and a few others on this forum use and abuse Duralast tools every day in a professional setting. I abuse my tools. I don't like 1/2" drive hand tools much so I'm always using a 1/4" and 3/8" drive where I should be using a larger drive. It's common for me to use a floor jack handle as a cheater bar on my 3/8" drive ratchets. And even with my lack of proper tool selection, Ive yet to have a Duralast tool fail me.

So if you do buy Duralast, Buy NOS or used, and don't believe all the Duralast bashes stories because most are just that... stories.
That has been my experience with the handful of Duralast tools I bought a couple years ago. The ones I have are the older Taiwan made tools. To my observation the Duralast that I bought are very high quality when compared to many of the recent common/pedestrian USA made offerings, like the brands you named above. I actually have been quite impressed with my few Duralast tools Heard they scaled down their quality recently and now are sourcing their basic handtools from a different maker in China. Don't know, haven't picked up any new Duralast hand tools in about a year. Too bad if they have changed their quality and maker.

Have to admit that 99% of all my hand tools are older high quality USA made tools from various makers. These Duralast are the few imports I have in my arsenal.
HandyManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #33
HandyManny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
The facepalm pic is how I feel whenever the owner or retailer of a respectable tool brand decides to whore it out for increased sales. This is precisely what happened to Kobalt and the trend is now claiming formerly stalwart USA brands like Channellock and Estwing.
I have seen where Estwing is changing very recently, more and more Taiwan imported Estwing tools. Seeing this very recently at Home Depot.

I was not aware that Channellock has started doning the same thing . As far as I know nearly all genuine Channellock pliers are still being made in one of two facilities in Meadville, PA by American workers. Unless you are refering to the cheap knock-off Channellock branded tool kits that were sold through Sams Club a while back. But Snap-On has been kind of doing the same thing through both Costco and Ace Hardware with some knock off rebranded products. To me this does nothing but ruin a brands reputation when they do this type of stuff.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #34
Blacknwhitepit

Guess you are an old timer here Mr. Painter........ I was posting here only a mere 5 years before you became a "member".

Pro Painter.... You seem to like speaking for the entire board. I'm sorry, I missed your election and ascendancy to President and spokesman for Garage Journal...

I suppose no one is allowed to disagree with your highness...

The facepalm is for the lovefest that Pro Painter and 3 other people on this board have started for Duralast... Very akin to the Pump and dump mentality on stock message boards in the late 90's...

But really sickens me are members like Pro-Painter who intentionally post RACIST and HATE inspiring, derisive messages.....

The quote in Pro Painters signature block is truly a message of hate intended to divide people.

Last rules I saw, hate speech was not tolerated on GJ.

-BWP

Last edited by Blacknwhitepit; 10-22-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Blacknwhitepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #35
John316

Someone started a discussion thread about tools sold at an auto parts store and is bashed for it. Please, would an "old timer" here please post a list of tool brands "approved" for discussion at GJ?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #36
jeffk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknwhitepit View Post
Guess you are an old timer here Mr. Painter........ I was posting here only a mere 5 years before you became a "member".

Pro Painter.... You seem to like speaking for the entire board. I'm sorry, I missed your election and ascendancy to President and spokesman for Garage Journal...

I suppose no one is allowed to disagree with your highness...

The facepalm is for the lovefest that Pro Painter and 3 other people on this board have started for Duralast... Very akin to the Pump and dump mentality on stock message boards in the late 90's...

But really sickens me are members like Pro-Painter who intentionally post RACIST and HATE inspiring, derisive messages.....

The quote in Pro Painters signature block is truly a message of hate intended to divide people.

Last rules I saw, hate speech was not tolerated on GJ.

-BWP
So much dickheadery in one post. Where to begin?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #37
north

If people could go back to posting about their Duralast experiences and take the other stuff to PM's? I would like to learn about tools here.
If you don't think a thread is worthy, don't post to keep it alive.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *smart guy at a german forum*
Werkzeug kann man nicht genug haben:)
Have a nice day. :)
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #38
NWphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
If people could go back to posting about their Duralast experiences and take the other stuff to PM's? I would like to learn about tools here.
If you don't think a thread is worthy, don't post to keep it alive.
Thanks.
x1000 especially the part about not posting in threads that are unworthy. This has been an informative thread thanks to Pro Painter and many others. Thanks!
NWphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #39
bayoutoolguy

yes, exactly what nwphotog said.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #40
USMCdodge

I have a 3 ton floor jack made by duralast. Not sure if its the "good old kind" or new but its pretty much indestructible.
USMCdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #41
RLRRLRLL

Send a message via MSN to RLRRLRLL Send a message via Yahoo to RLRRLRLL

I have the ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, and a few other odds and ends, they are great. The nut drivers, which im sure are great neck, are not to great. The sets are made in china, while the single ones used to be USA made, not sure, havent looked in a while. I've used great neck sockets on impacts in a pinch, they held up. Then again, i dont turn wrenches everyday, but great for what i use them for. I know techs that use them daily and are happy with them. So, it goes both ways.
RLRRLRLL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #42
Pro-Painter

Here are some pictures of the old Duralast extensions for you guys to go by. The new one's look like the JH Williams extension pictured below, except they are butter soft. Ive only owned one new style Duralast extension,( a 1/2" drive 3" extension), but it broke the 2nd or 3rd time I used it. It was a real sorry extension. Very poor quality.

Old Duralast vs a new (Taiwan) JH Williams 6" extension. The Williams extension is 11.6mm round, and the duralast is 10.0mm.

Close up of the drive end Duralast vs williams.

Here is the same style Snap-on extensions.

On another note, the (Taiwan) JH Williams extensions like the one pictured above are fantastic as well. Ive used them quite a bit with no issues what so ever.

And just to add to the mix, here is an old 5/8" Duralast spark plug socket vs a Danaher made Kobalt. The new Duralast spark plug sockets are smooth like the kobalt pictured. The new ones Ive seen in the store have some type of gold sticker on the outside.

Ive got many old duralast pictures if anyone is interested in seeing anything, just let me know.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #43
John316

I love those old Duralast extensions. I was able to scoop up a 3, 6 and 18", but no 10" exists in my area. I was lucky to put together a complete 3/8 chrome molly socket set in deep and shallow except the 8mm shallow which I grabbed a newer crv style.

My goto ratchet in the 3/8 flex and it has taken a beating. The spring clip mod improved the action, but using it has really made it even nicer. When I look at the quality of the sockets it is such a shame that they no longer offer these.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #44
bayoutoolguy

pro painter, if you wouldnt mind posting some more old duralast pics, that would be great, id like to see so i can go and buy the rest of the good tools while theyre available. i just bought the 40 pc 3/8 set, which is chrome moly, so does that mean i have the good extensions in the set? so the new chrome vanadium sockets arent worth it?
john316, just did the spring mod to my 3/8 short handle duralast yesterday, makes a world of difference. so you said using it has made it work even better, do you mean like its getting broken in?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #45
Pro-Painter

Quote:
pro painter, if you wouldnt mind posting some more old duralast pics, that would be great, id like to see so i can go and buy the rest of the good tools while theyre available. i just bought the 40 pc 3/8 set, which is chrome moly, so does that mean i have the good extensions in the set? so the new chrome vanadium sockets arent worth it?
john316, just did the spring mod to my 3/8 short handle duralast yesterday, makes a world of difference. so you said using it has made it work even better, do you mean like its getting broken in?
The 70-501 & 70-502 socket sets are the OLD Duralast. They are just NOS.

Here is some pictures for you to enjoy

70-200 Screwdriver set

70-324 & 70-322 3/8" drive socket sets.

70-308 1/4" drive SAE socket set

Ratchets.

My Snap-last ratchets

70-312 & 14pc metric 1/2" drive, deep socket sets (NOTE: the 15mm is the new style. I can not find an old 15mm deep ANYWHERE)

Combo Wrenches
70-005 metric set with extras

70-004 SAE wrench set

Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #46
bayoutoolguy

thanks for the pics man. can i still special order the 70-322 and 70-324 socket sets? or to make it simpler which of the above tools can i still order? thanks for all your help man its greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #47
Pro-Painter

Quote:
thanks for the pics man. can i still special order the 70-322 and 70-324 socket sets? or to make it simpler which of the above tools can i still order? thanks for all your help man its greatly appreciated.

None of the old sets are in stores anymore, and online stock/price very per region.
I can only tell you want is still available in my area. You will have to check online via you zip code to see what is, and is not still available.

When you do decide to order something, DON'T buy it online! Go to a local Autozone and have them order it. They order all tools with free next day shipping. All the tools Ive ordered arrive by 2pm the next day for free. All you pay is the price of the tool and sales tax.

Oh and get a rewards card if you don't have one already.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #48
bayoutoolguy

i ordered my 40 pc set and ratchet at my local autozone. shipping was very fast. you said the particular tools im looking for are available at your north carolina autozones? i have a rewards only have 3 credits on it so far lol
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #49
Pro-Painter

Last I checked in my area,

70-322 22pc 3/8" drive SAE master set = In stock
70-324 24pc 3/8" drive metric master set = SOLD OUT
70-303 12pc 3/8" metric deep = SOLD OUT
70-304 10pc 3/8" SAE deep = in stock
70-302 10pc 3/8" SAE short = SOLD OUT
70-301 12pc 3/8" metric short = SOLD OUT

If you have the 40pc socket set, it would be cheaper and easier just to fill in the missing sizes with singles. Just shop informed and get the old style singles, their are still many of them in stores. You already have the popular sizes so you have a good chance of getting all the old singles in one store.

Can you post pictures of your 40pc set? I'm thinking about buying one to take to the pick-N-pull yards. I'm mostly interested in the compartment that is in the case. I'm wanting to keep a flex head ratchet with my mobile tool set.

Last edited by Pro-Painter; 10-25-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #50
John316

I'll try and get some photos of my 40pc set up later and I'll see if my 3/8 flex fits in the cubby.

BTW, have you ever considered making a Duralast "Pinup" calendar with your pornography.. er photography.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #51
BigAl62

I wish Duralast had a 1/4" drive comfort grip ratchet.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #52
garfunkle24

Send a message via MSN to garfunkle24

If Duralast were so awesome but have now gone to crap, what are you going to get back for a warranty exchange...?

I really hate the Snappy handles on the Duralast ratchets. It's just like putting an M3 badge on a POS 316i. Are you kidding yourself or others?

Last edited by garfunkle24; 10-25-2011 at 06:27 PM.
garfunkle24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #53
John316

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunkle24 View Post
If Duralast were so awesome but have now gone to crap, what are you going to get back for a warranty exchange...?
I buy assuming that at some point warranty for an exact replacement will not be possible. I buy any brand with the same mindset. I recently exchanged my worn USA Craftsman grips for Craftsman CHINA grips, but I got many years of use from the original pair and the replacement is better than nothing I guess. When I bought them I thought I would always be able to exchange them for a quality USA made tool. I was wrong.

Maybe in 5-10 years you'll exchange your Snapon for a China ratchet. Don't think it can't happen. Where do I warranty my SK made CM Pro wrenches?

It is possible that in a few years Duralast will return to the former quality. I doubt it, but you never know.

Last edited by John316; 10-25-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #54
Pro-Painter

Quote:

I really hate the Snappy handles on the Duralast ratchets. It's just like putting an M3 badge on a POS 316i. Are you kidding yourself or others?
That's an unfair example. People who install emblems on a car do so to fool others. I installed the handles for comfort. It would be more like instaling M3 seats in a 318i. Snap-on happened to be the only company that sold replacement handles. I attempted to get Gearwrench handles first and when that failed, I planed to install the snap-on handle with the script down.

Duralast 3/8" flex ratchet = $21.99 + $6.85 handle = $28.84 vs Snap-on FHLF80 at $128.00
On that one ratchet alone, I saved $100 and still have a ratchet I trust completely, with a nice handle, and with a local warranty. I have no need for a $128 ratchet. My $28 ratchet has everything I expect of a ratchet and more. For me, spending $128 on one ratchet just for the name is kidding myself and others.

Last edited by Pro-Painter; 10-25-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #55
garfunkle24

Send a message via MSN to garfunkle24

I do apologise then as I had assumed the Duralast ratchets originally came with comfort grips which you had replaced with Snappy ones. My fault for making the ASSumption. Did you turn down the steel handles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Painter View Post
That's an unfair example. People who install emblems on a car do so to fool others. I installed the handles for comfort. It would be more like instaling M3 seats in a 318i. Snap-on happened to be the only company that sold replacement handles. I attempted to get Gearwrench handles first and when that failed, I planed to install the snap-on handle with the script down.

Duralast 3/8" flex ratchet = $21.99 + $6.85 handle = $28.84 vs Snap-on FHLF80 at $128.00
On that one ratchet alone, I saved $100 and still have a ratchet I trust completely, with a nice handle, and with a local warranty. I have no need for a $128 ratchet. My $28 ratchet has everything I expect of a ratchet and more. For me, spending $128 on one ratchet just for the name is kidding myself and others.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #56
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
The "good" wrenches are available in stores as singles and as of a month ago you could still special order the good sets which are #70-001 metric and #70-003 SAE for $24.99 ea which is a steal IMHO. The sets in stores are the new rebranded greatneck quality. You want the ones with the red or blue dots.
Looks like the 70-003 is the 11 piece metric?
Burns my ass they skip the 16mm Can you still buy the 16mm red dot separate?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=482664_0_0_
mrbreezeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #57
John316

Ok here are my crude pics of the 40 pc set. I tried to give you an idea how deep the storage compart,emt is. It's a bit shallow and some screwdriver handles are too fat for it to close completely.

For $40 though it's a damn steal.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #58
Pro-Painter

Quote:
I do apologise then as I had assumed the Duralast ratchets originally came with comfort grips which you had replaced with Snappy ones. My fault for making the ASSumption. Did you turn down the steel handles?
No need to apologize. I expect criticism. Duralast does make a soft handle ratchet, but it was $39 at the time. They don't make a flex soft handle at all and I was not going to pay $39 just for the duralast handle when I can get a better, more comfortable snap-on one for $6.

I got the idea after reading the "post your custom handle ratchet" thread. Unlike others who have a lathe, I used an expander wheel to turn down the handle. I also had to weld 1-5/8" solid bar stock to the the handle to make it long enough for the comfort grip.
It was a fun project, and I got a cool tool out of it.

John316: Thanks for the pictures! That set is a steal at $40. The case looks alot better then I thought it would. Now that I know a flex ratchet will fit, I'm going to buy me one to take to the pick-N-pull. Now if I can just find me a good 3/8" cordless impact that won't leave me eating roman noodles for a month just to pay for, I will be a happy camper.

Last edited by Pro-Painter; 10-25-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #59
John316

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreezeet1 View Post
Yep all the good wrenches are available as single stock in stores still.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #60
I can fix anything

I'll put my Duralast stuff up against anything.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The ratchet wrenches are top notch. The pliers and vise grips are solid as well.

I can fix anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #61
bayoutoolguy

pro painter- what single sockets would i be missing? the biggest metric is 19mm if i recall correctly and the biggest sae is 13/16(would have to go check, not sure) i need to look for the chrome moly ones, right? sorry, if thats a dumb question lol. yeah man its definitely a steal at 40 bucks, i like my 40 pc set, i use it for everything to oil changes to other routine car maintenance and it fits perfect in the backseat of my truck. also quality is top notch.

john316- ill have to go get those wrenches while theyre still in stores, cant stand my craftsman raised panels.

icanfixanything- nice set of tools you have there. wish i could have gotten some of the ones no longer made. didnt you say in a post a while back that youve been having that comfort grip 1/2 for 6 years, with lots of hard use, and havent had trouble with it yet? did you do the spring mod to it?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #62
bayoutoolguy

forgot to mention,i dont know how to post pics on here, most of my tool/hot rod pics are on my facebook page.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #63
John316

bayoutoolguy- check your set ;-). For 3/8" drive the chrome moly sockets included sizes 8mm-23mm shallow and deep and 1/4-7/8 shallow and deep. They now offer a 3/8 drive 7mm shallow only in CRV which I grabbed just to have the complete set (not to mention I used it today bleeding my cooling system

Also: If anyone sees an older style 3/8"drive 8mm shallow socket or an older style 10" extension (turned down- as pictured earlier) I would love to find these to complete my set. PM me and maybe we could work something out ;-)
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #64
Pro-Painter

Quote:
bayoutoolguy- check your set ;-). For 3/8" drive the chrome moly sockets included sizes 8mm-23mm shallow and deep and 1/4-7/8 shallow and deep. They now offer a 3/8 drive 7mm shallow only in CRV which I grabbed just to have the complete set (not to mention I used it today bleeding my cooling system

Also: If anyone sees an older style 3/8"drive 8mm shallow socket or an older style 10" extension (turned down- as pictured earlier) I would love to find these to complete my set. PM me and maybe we could work something out ;-)
I will check next time I go to AZ, but I'm almost 90% sure they have a CR-MO 8mm short in stock. This store put all the new sockets in front of the old, so they still have all their 3/8" drive short sockets. (last time I checked)

The CR-MO 10" extension is going to be a hard find alone. Ive never seen the old style as singles. ****EDIT**** the 70-384 set is now the NEW style.

Ive got to go to AZ tomorrow to get some antifreeze, If they still have the 8mm socket I will grab it for you.

If you don't mind, check your stores for me also
I still need:
:15mm, 19mm, & 23mm 1/2" drive, deep.
:4mm 1/4" drive deep.

Last edited by Pro-Painter; 10-27-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #65
John316

Pro-Painter-
Thanks for the heads up on the extension part number. I did not know the older set was still available. Also, that would be great if you could check on the 8mm and I'll also check for yours. I know I can't get the 15mm deep in my area stores, but I'll check on the others.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #66
bayoutoolguy

ill check at my local store for yall, wont be able to go till the weekend though. just to note, although i rarely use a 7mm on anything, its a must on chevy/gmc duramaxes when pulling the fender liner bolts to change the fuel filter. just giving a heads up.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #67
John316

Just as a follow up, the 70-384 came in today and the extensions are "new" Duralast oh well . They were very friendly about sending the order back.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #68
Pro-Painter

Quote:
Just as a follow up, the 70-384 came in today and the extensions are "new" Duralast oh well . They were very friendly about sending the order back.
Oh man, that sucks! I'm sorry. I ordered that same set just a couple of months ago and got the old style extensions.

Did you happen to check the part number on the package? I know that my local AZ stores stock a very smiler 4pc extension set that IS the new style for $14.99 that is not listed anywhere online. That's how I found out about the 70-384 set. I found it online and realized that it had a different part number and price as the store stock.

That sucks, Not only was I planing on ordering another set while still in stock, But I hate I got your hopes up and wasted your time. My bad.

EDIT: I checked my reward zone account and I ordered them on 8-10-11.

Here is a picture of them in the packaging.

Last edited by Pro-Painter; 10-27-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #69
John316

Pro-Painter, yep I comfirmed the p/n. The package actually looked very similar.No biggie, I guess I'll have to settle for a Snap-on or something to fill the missing 10"
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #70
bayoutoolguy

goin to autozone next week to finish putting my 40 pc set together with the rest of the good leftover CR-M sockets. yall said the singles should still be in some stores, right?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #71
Pro-Painter

Quote:
goin to autozone next week to finish putting my 40 pc set together with the rest of the good leftover CR-M sockets. yall said the singles should still be in some stores, right?
*some, being the key word. They will be mixed in with new sockets. If your lucky, you will get a lazy store like the one I have. They did not rotate their old stock and just put the new singles in front of the old. So most people just needing a socket to finish the job, just grabs the one on front.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #72
88thunder

How much was your duralast 2-drawer tool box and are they still available? I need a 2 drawer box and that one looks perfect for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I can fix anything View Post
I'll put my Duralast stuff up against anything.

The ratchet wrenches are top notch. The pliers and vise grips are solid as well.

88thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #73
bayoutoolguy

id like to get one like that also. im pretty sure those screwdrivers are still available
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #74
Pro-Painter

I believe that tool box (and cart) is a free promo item for commercial customers. Buy buy X amount of Duralast parts and get a free gift. Ive never seen that box as a promo, But they do it all the time with duralast fender covers, jackets, cabinets etc.
Right now the free promo is a road side oil change sign.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #75
HandyManny

Quote:
Someone started a discussion thread about tools sold at an auto parts store and is bashed for it. Please, would an "old timer" here please post a list of tool brands "approved" for discussion at GJ?
I'm an old timer in using high quality USA made hand tools and wrenched for a living at various times in my life. In fact 98% to 99% of all my hand tools were bought at a time when high quality USA made tools were the norm rather than the exception. Some of the brands and makers of my tools are no longer even in business anymore. I have to say that I'm extreamly impressed with the high quality and durability of the original Duralast ratchets, extentions, sockets, and combo wrenches that I have bought and used. I had long given up hope that reasonably priced high quality hand tools could still be bought off the shelf at an auto parts store these days. But the original Duralast filled that void.

Now, the newer stuff is a bit different. I'm talking the newer Duralast stuff being recently made in China. I was in Autozone yesterday to pick up some washer fluid. I rarely stop in at Autozone. Had heard here that Duralast quality was going down the crapper very recently. Looked at a few to see. Yup the sets were all china made, some of the lose tools were the newer china made stuff. Just picking it up before reading where it was made and you can feel the difference. Even the plating feels rubbery, thin, and soft. There were still a lot of the lose sockets, extentions, and combo wrenches that were the older taiwan made stuff, but I'm really saddened to see Autozone switch tool makers for their basic Duralast brand hand tools.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #76
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

toptul better watch their back ...barf lol
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #77
JLee1469

Wow I shop at AutoZone all the time and never gave their tools a second thought, let alone be a GJ value favorite. By now their good stuff is probably gone but I'll keep a lookout for stuff made in Taiwan (the good old stock from my understanding of this thread).
JLee1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #78
HandyManny

I rarely ever shop at AZ and never really have unless I need something like washer fluid or shop towels, etc. Have to admit that up until about a year and a half ago to 2 years ago I never really took Duralast tools too seriously.

Sad about how they have changed their tools for the worst within the last few months.

Pro Painter, can you tell us when approx the change to their extention bars took place from "truned-down" to basic straight shaft?

Can you also tell me the difference between the older color marked sockets and the newer color marked sockets sold singley at stores? Both are made in Taiwan, but I honestly can't see a difference except for the exterior wall profile. Are the new ones really that bad? They feel the same to me. They perform the same. Both seem pretty impeccable and high quality to me, at least the ones I bought earlier this year.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #79
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreezeet1 View Post
I got them last week,They are still sitting at work though.
Shows how bad I "Needed" them..................LOL.
Did get the 16MM too.
Came to $34.00 all together.
He has not been charging me sales tax.

Just to be sure, the single 16mm and the set I had to order would be the old ones right?

Last edited by mrbreezeet1; 11-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.
mrbreezeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #80
jhelrey

My store still has most of those part numbers...
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #81
Blazin8556

Send a message via Skype™ to Blazin8556

i bet i can strip the teeth out of an autozone ratchet in a few minutes. done it too many times.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #82
jonti48310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin8556 View Post
i bet i can strip the teeth out of an autozone ratchet in a few minutes. done it too many times.

Of course Blaze, you can strip the teeth out in any ratchet. Ratchets have mechanical components that are bound to wear and tear, even the glorified SO ratchets. I had to order a repair kit just two weeks ago from SO for my FL830.

This is my first post here on GJ and I've been hesitant to post because I've been taking in the wealth of knowledge provided through this website and the members here (BTW, thanks everyone). To me this website has proved to be invaluable and has helped give me insight before I fork up money (which is far from abundant) to buy tools. So if my experience/post can help even just one person save money, time, or sanity I feel obligated to give back and share my experience. Being just a broke college kid who needed a set of tools to carry around as a road set, I picked up the 175 piece tool set (#70-510) after becoming plenty familiar with the Duralast brand at work. After two years of use they have held up well to weekend abuse. I'm by no means a professional, and these tools are not put through daily abuse. (Although, I will say plenty of our commercial accounts have become Duralast fans.) At the end of the day Duralast has a great line of tools for the money, and they particularly appeal to the hobbyist. What it comes down to is the old saying, "To each their own." If you can afford SO prices, by all means buy SO. If all you can afford is HF, Duralast, Kobalt, etc. there are tools out there for you. There are tools in each line that will more than exceed expectations. IMHO, the Duralast tool set is one of those and it more than gets the job done.
(I also hope to get my hands on the flex head 3/8 ratchet soon.) Cheers everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (142.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.jpg (144.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (147.3 KB, 37 views)
jonti48310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #83
tweedlestan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonti48310 View Post
Of course Blaze, you can strip the teeth out in any ratchet. Ratchets have mechanical components that are bound to wear and tear, even the glorified SO ratchets. I had to order a repair kit just two weeks ago from SO for my FL830.

This is my first post here on GJ and I've been hesitant to post because I've been taking in the wealth of knowledge provided through this website and the members here (BTW, thanks everyone). To me this website has proved to be invaluable and has helped give me insight before I fork up money (which is far from abundant) to buy tools. So if my experience/post can help even just one person save money, time, or sanity I feel obligated to give back and share my experience. Being just a broke college kid who needed a set of tools to carry around as a road set, I picked up the 175 piece tool set (#70-510) after becoming plenty familiar with the Duralast brand at work. After two years of use they have held up well to weekend abuse. I'm by no means a professional, and these tools are not put through daily abuse. (Although, I will say plenty of our commercial accounts have become Duralast fans.) At the end of the day Duralast has a great line of tools for the money, and they particularly appeal to the hobbyist. What it comes down to is the old saying, "To each their own." If you can afford SO prices, by all means buy SO. If all you can afford is HF, Duralast, Kobalt, etc. there are tools out there for you. There are tools in each line that will more than exceed expectations. IMHO, the Duralast tool set is one of those and it more than gets the job done.
(I also hope to get my hands on the flex head 3/8 ratchet soon.) Cheers everyone.
Great first post. Welcome!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #84
Blazin8556

Send a message via Skype™ to Blazin8556

Brand new ratchet never on a bolt. My cornwell flex head busted teeth when it was two, punched myself in the face when it broke. My snap one broke around the same age and has been rebuilt twice. Neither failed brand new like an autozone ratchet has. Better than the Chinese junk in the $5 kits tho.

Sent while under my truck...breaking stuff more