Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
camaross

Default What is the role of auxiliary transmission fluid pump

I understand that the role of transmission pump is to provide the pressure needed for gear shift. What is the role of auxiliary transmission pump?
camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
bgott

Default Re: What is the role of auxiliary transmission fluid pump

Old cars used to have a rear pump so they could be push started. On a newer car, I've never heard of an auxiliary pump.
bgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Lotek

On a hybrid, it provides line pressure to the transmission/electric motor/generator unit when the ICE isn't running.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
theoldwizard1

The only time I have heard of an auxiliary transmission fluid pump is for use when a vehicle is being "flat towed" (4 wheels down).

When a vehicle is being flat towed, heat builds up in the transmission and because the fluid is not being circulated through the cooler, the fluid overheats or foams. Foaming can be so bad that some of the fluid will come out the fill tube. Either way, the transmission is ruined.

The aux pump circulates the fluid through the cooler. The pump needs to be connected to the tow vehicle (not the TOWED vehicle) or it will kill the battery and still over heat the transmission.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
camaross

Thanks. This sounds like it is serving a good purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
The only time I have heard of an auxiliary transmission fluid pump is for use when a vehicle is being "flat towed" (4 wheels down).

When a vehicle is being flat towed, heat builds up in the transmission and because the fluid is not being circulated through the cooler, the fluid overheats or foams. Foaming can be so bad that some of the fluid will come out the fill tube. Either way, the transmission is ruined.

The aux pump circulates the fluid through the cooler. The pump needs to be connected to the tow vehicle (not the TOWED vehicle) or it will kill the battery and still over heat the transmission.
camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
bgott

Two good answers. I think I learned something here today!
bgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
checkthisout

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross View Post
I understand that the role of transmission pump is to provide the pressure needed for gear shift. What is the role of auxiliary transmission pump?
In what application?
checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote