Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #61
Boosted1
Alliance Member

Default Re: Finally finishing it!

Root,
Looks really nice. Congrats!
Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #62
impala_631

Looking really good!
impala_631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #63
mortbike

great job, i have a pegboard i just finished , painted it grey, im going to use talon hooks, these hooks will not pull out when you remove something from the hook, just google talon hooks, merry christmas!!!!!!!
mortbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #64
trbomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterlake View Post
I used 4x8 5/8 sheets of pine siding for the walls in my small shop. They go up quick.
You can see the picks in the link below.
What did you use for a finish on it,the color is perfect! I want to do a wainscote in my machine shop office with t 111 . Nancy thinks its a really bad idea as it will be hard to clean,but I will probably do it anyway!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #65
Root

Thanks, guys.

I checked out the Talon Hooks, they're just what I need.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #66
Root

Ok, back to the house garage. Today, I decided to insulate the garage doors. After insulating the walls, drywalling and painting it, I felt this would only make sense.
I went to Lowes and bought 4 sheets of this

3/4" x 4 x 8.

to put on these

The first door all done. I cut each panel 20 1/4" x 53" which allowed me to bend the panels into place but still have a somewhat tight fit. I didn't want them moving all around when the doors go up and down.

I used the leftover pieces to do the second door and was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. I was afraid it would looked pieced together.
I used small pieces and wedged them into the frame to secure the panels even more.

It really cleaned up the look of the doors and kinda matches the diamond plate on the lower walls.
Added benefit of reflecting any and all available light is a nice plus, too!!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #67
JimVonBaden

Looks great, and exactly what I am going to do on mine!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #68
Kevin54

Root....great job on everything. It really makes a huge difference from before on both your garage and the house garage

One question though, have you ever thought about turning the steps and landing sideways from where they are now? It looks like you could gain some space in front of the vehicles. I am assuming the steps are in front of the vehicles, correct?
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #69
hpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post

Root....great job on everything. It really makes a huge difference from before on both your garage and the house garage

One question though, have you ever thought about turning the steps and landing sideways from where they are now? It looks like you could gain some space in front of the vehicles. I am assuming the steps are in front of the vehicles, correct?
good Idea....looks like a nail puller and about an hour of work and you could swap the existing steps to the right of the existing platform. No cutting involved except the hand rail
hpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #70
Root

Thanks Kevin. The garage is 20'5"W X 20'11"D. We actually have more room with the steps like they are now. When we built the house, end of '90 to Jan '91, the steps were sideways to the right of the door (going in). We had smaller vehicles back then. I had a '90 Geo Storm and the wife had an '87 Nissan Sentra. Both fit nicely, but you had to leave extra space to walk in front of the vehicle on the right side.

Then as the family grew, we had to get bigger vehicles and the steps were in the way. I moved them to the center and gained more parking space, a full 20'11" instead of 17' or so.

We've actually had a '96 Dodge Ram 1500 and an '04 Ford Expedition parked in here at the same time with plenty of room.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #71
Root

Update on my clean slate in the pole barn. I'm slowly making it comfortable and as I work on something I change things around or add more stuff. (Work in progress)

And homage to my mother who passed away at the end of August '11. This was her '71 Superglide (Picture of a picture). Hung it in the shop. Had some mods to it...bored out to 80 over and even tho' it has a kickstart, she had an electric starter installed. Compression was so bad it'd just about throw a 200+ pound man over the handlebars and she didn't want to take her chances.
She rode it until about 6 years ago then she bought a trike. Legs weren't as strong as they once were and she was concerned she'd drop it at a light.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #72
Root

I organized my photobucket account and look what happened....most of my pic got deleted...

I have some cool news...I ordered my Racedeck floor for the house garage and it should be here sometime next week.
Thanks Jennifer (of RD)
Can't wait to get it started.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #73
Root

My Racedeck came today, 10 boxes!!! Too bad I have to work tomorrow But I'm off this weekend

I'm hoping it'll only take me a day to do. 20 x 21 garage. I guess it depends on the number of beers I have, eh?

Pic's will surely be posted.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #74
JimVonBaden

It can't be any harder to put down than VCT, which requires glue, so I bet one solid 7-8 hour stretch will do it. Do you have to make any cuts?

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #75
Root

Yeah, I'm gonna have to cut the sides to equal them out and center up the floor. I figured I'll have to cut tiles in half and use the other half on the opposite side. I understand I can use my table saw which will cut down on time.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #76
Root

Yup, I could hardly wait to get started!!! Couldn't wait for this weekend.

So here are a few pics of the underlayment I put down, the few boxes that I got started with and the progress.

I was surprised at how fast this Racedeck went down. It took me longer to get started than it did to lay tiles down.

I used weed barrier paper from the local blue box store. Only needed three rolls of 3' X 50' at about $10.00 a roll.

The reason I used the paper was to eliminate some of the "clacking" noise of the tiles against the concrete....see signature line

I did approximately 3/4 of the floor in about 4 hrs. I had to take a break due to the stairs being in the way. I plan on jacking them up a few inches and sliding a group of tiles (already assembled) under the legs.

Then I'll have to finish the edges. I'll need to cut the top (the opposite end from the doors) and the right side (left side in the pics) pieces to fit. Should be able to complete the whole thing by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #77
Root

My Racedeck floor is all finished and I must say it looks pretty good!! What a pleasure to work with this flooring. It was easy to order, easy to put together, easy to cut (with a table saw) and easy on the eyes.

Tell me what you think, but ultimately I have to live with it whether or not you guys think a monogrammed garage floor is cool.

Several different angles for your viewing pleasure.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #78
flybefree

Looks really good, I don't think I have seen a bad Racedeck floor yet!

Shaun

All Men are Created Equal...the difference is what they do after that.
flybefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #79
Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybefree View Post
Looks really good, I don't think I have seen a bad Racedeck floor yet!

Shaun

I think you're right. I haven't seen a bad one either. It's definitely an upgrade to an existing floor, wherever they may be.
I was able to cover up a couple minor cracks without the hassle of mixing concrete or patching areas.
Gives the garage a whole new look, too.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #80
-Brent-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post

I used weed barrier paper from the local blue box store. Only needed three rolls of 3' X 50' at about $10.00 a roll.

The reason I used the paper was to eliminate some of the "clacking" noise of the tiles against the concrete....see signature line
The "clacking" you refer to, is that just on install, or is this a common thing with Racedeck?
-Brent- is offline   Reply With Quote