Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Modern Jess
Alliance Member

Default $150 Lift gate service charge - is this reasonable?

This is a question that seems suited to this audience, I hope.

I recently purchased a light duty shop press from Northern Tool, through Amazon. I paid the $100 or so shipping charge on it at the time of purchase. What I didn't anticipate (though Northern Tool does, in fact, mention this in their shipping policy) is that the customer is responsible for negotiating the lift gate service with the shipper, if needed. I failed to notice that detail in their shipping policies, and it might have changed my purchase decision, but so be it. Mea culpa.

The shipping company, however, wants an additional $150 to move the shipment from the truck to the ground. This seems, at first blush, rather extortionate. It's roughly 150% of the shipping charge additional. And it's not like I have any choice in the matter.

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't charge a fee (though I do kind of think the whole "lift gate service" thing is a bit of a racket that the freight industry engages in). However, $150 just seems outrageous.

$250 total for shipping is already over half the cost of the shop press itself.
Modern Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
aafc1

Default Re: $150 Lift gate service charge - is this reasonable?

Why don't you rent a truck with a liftgate and pick it up at there terminal? That should be about half of what they want. My other thought is i own a vending co and the moving co that moves my machines charges 100 to pickup and deliver from point a to b. Just a couple of thoughts.
aafc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
pro machine Engineering

you got friend close by with a set of forks for his skid loader or a forklift
Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
porcupine73

Sometimes Amazon will provide liftgate service if needed/requested for larger items, but since it was sold by Northern Tool through Amazon that might not apply. Usually it seems the liftgate charge is $75 or so, $150 does seem a bit high, but maybe it's because of requesting liftgate service after it already shipped.

Can the unit be broken down at all? I got something kind of big/heavy last year, they didn't send a liftgate, but it was in a few different boxes on a pallet, so the driver cut the straps and maneuvered each box to the edge of the truck and i was able to at least get it down from there.

Last edited by porcupine73; 11-02-2011 at 02:08 PM.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Modern Jess
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro machine Engineering View Post
you got friend close by with a set of forks for his skid loader or a forklift
Nope. I need better friends.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
saabman

I agree that $75 is more typical, but then again you are in an expensive area of the country.
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
omr
Banned

shady business if you ask me , i mean any reasonable person would just assume the shipping cost would include actually delivering the product right ?
omr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Modern Jess
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
maybe it's because of requesting liftgate service after it already shipped.
Quite possibly, though I was never given an option to pay for it up front, nor was the fee disclosed as part of the purchase. I didn't find out until after the shipment had spent the better part of two weeks being shipped from the other side of the country.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
zruvalcaba

I paid $75 for the lift gate service when my Bad Boy blast cabinet was delivered and Northern Tool says my 450 lb. Ingersoll Rand compressor will also be $75. Sounds to me that at $150 for the service...you might have Jesse Jackson running that company!
zruvalcaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
graffix000

Northern tool tried to do the same with me when I had my compressor sent to my house.

At first I contacted the freight company, and got someone there who told me they only bill out $35 to NT for the cost of freight. My charge was going to be $125 for the lift gate service.

I called up NT and they were able to lower the lift gate fee to $75. Not overly pleased, but at least it was $50 cheaper then the initial price. I would call up NT and see if they can work with you.
graffix000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
porcupine73

Oh I forgot, a guy I work with had this happen, actually what they told him is his street is too narrow for them to deliver on, so he hooked up a trailer to his truck and went to the terminal to pick it up. He said they used a forklift and just plopped it on his trailer for him.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Modern Jess
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omr View Post
shady business if you ask me , i mean any reasonable person would just assume the shipping cost would include actually delivering the product right ?
Yes, especially for goods purchased on Amazon, of all places. And I was in fact a bit annoyed by the fact that there was an additional fee that I didn't know about until later. Still, it was in their shipping policy, so I'll take the blame for not reading more closely, even if it's an obviously consumer-unfriendly thing to do.

That said, I'm pretty pissed that the fee is so outrageous.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
porcupine73

How much does this bad boy weigh in at? Maybe if you have 2-4 people helping you can at least get it to the ground?

I used to have to do that at this copier place I worked at. First day, boss comes over, hey help me get this copier off the truck. I mean here I am gangly and about 17 years old and here's this 4x4 pallet with a huge copier on it. So it's me and him pulling this thing off the truck, well ok the driver was pushing too. I was really scared, I mean this thing mustve weighed a good 350 lbs+. I thought something was going to blow out in my legs as this thing dropped to the ground. All I could do was slow the fall slightly but that was about it.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
omr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Jess View Post
Yes, especially for goods purchased on Amazon, of all places. And I was in fact a bit annoyed by the fact that there was an additional fee that I didn't know about until later. Still, it was in their shipping policy, so I'll take the blame for not reading more closely, even if it's an obviously consumer-unfriendly thing to do.

That said, I'm pretty pissed that the fee is so outrageous.
northern has been in business long enough to know they are scamming people with this tactic , like you mentioned before , you may not have bought the product from them had you known the full cost ..
omr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
gordon_gjs

I bought a crated motor off ebay and it was delivered to my house in a box truck. When the truck driver opened the back he told me the cost of using the lift was not included and it would cost me $75 for him to move it to the ground.
I told him no thanks; my brother and I would just pick it up straight from inside the truck and bring it the garage ourselves. He then changed his mind and used the lift gate to bring the motor down with no charge. This was the first time I have ever had something box trucked to me and I thought the guy was just BS’ing me trying to make a few extra bucks.

So in my opinion I think $150 is way too much just to move an object 3ft to the ground.
gordon_gjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
porcupine73

Also I would say make sure to stay the heck away from the lift gate when they are using it. There's been some cases where welds have broken on them and such and people have gotten crushed underneath them.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #17

see what the charge would be from a local tow company with a flatbed to deliver from the terminal.......
3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Zrexxer

$150 as strictly a liftgate charge seems a little excessive. My experience has been that it typically runs $50 - $75 when it's stated up-front in the terms.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
RTcat

Just looking at 9hp 2 stage snowblowers online today and the lift gate servcie is $50. Assembly is $129
RTcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
Modern Jess
Alliance Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was starting to wonder whether I was crazy and maybe this was normal. Sounds like the fee here is, in fact, outrageous.

As appealing as it sounds, I don't think I'm going to attempt to pick up at the terminal directly. It's not something I think I can probably do alone, and trying to corral some friends on short notice in the middle of the week is probably not going to happen.