Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #81
Az Scooter

Default Re: Outdoor storage shed. Build or buy prefab?

My experience with Tuff Shed was fantastic. Ours looks excellent, and I could find no flaws in it. It must be a location thing.
Az Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #82
maddawg1952

I needed room in the garage so this is what I built 12x8

Last edited by maddawg1952; 02-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.
maddawg1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #83
onelochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
My experience with Tuff Shed was fantastic. Ours looks excellent, and I could find no flaws in it. It must be a location thing.
Very happy with mine as well. My wife got me one last year for Christmas. We have 2 cypress trees in our backyard, and an 8x10 fit perfectly between them since I couldnt really use that space for anything else anyway. I got a couple yds. of limestone delivered and made a pad between the trees and one guy came out and build the thing himself in about 6 hours. I was impressed.
onelochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #84
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
One thing I've never understood about sheds is what kind of foundation they need in areas with deep freezes? Do people go all out and use piers sunk below the frost line, or just use those simple concrete block that rest on the ground and then you put your framing lumber on top of them?

I'd like to build a nice shed of some kind to store gardening equipment, lumber, and other assorted items.
In Ohio, where I'm located, the frost line is 36". When I moved my shed to the other side of the property, it was originally sitting on gravel. The guy that was going to move it told me he was going to sit it on a gravel base. He came in, dump gravel at maybe 1'- 1 1/2' deep and leveled it out. My sheds floor is made from 4"x4" treated lumber with screwed down tongue and groove boards. He set it and the doors were perfectly lined up. It's been down for going on 7 years now and has not moved. The thickness of the gravel absorbs any frost heave. I can judge how bad our winters are as far as frost by the sidewalk out of my garage. It will heave a little over an inch in winters that are freezing, then warm then freezing again. I never pinned it to the existing slab. But even with that frost heave, my shed doors always have stayed straight.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #85
DPelletier

Metal sheds are garbage and plastic is....well, plastic.

I looked at prefabbed wood but all had hokey doors made up of OSB and weren't tall enough. Went down to buy the material to build my own and ended up ordering one to my spec's;

14' x 8' x 8 to 7' roof. 36" metal man door in frame, 3/4 tongue and groove plywood floor, 2x4 on 24" centres, hardy plank exterior painted to match the house, asphalt shingles; cost was approximately $3100 delivered and finished.

I then put in power, door lock set and 1/2 plywood on the inside of the exterior walls.

I'd recommend building your own, but if time is an issue, there are some custom builders that do a decent job for a reasonable price. The barn example in this thread looks like a nice unit for the $$$

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #86
coolreed

I have built my own shed and bought a Lifetime Plastic Unit. Whichever type you get pour a 4" slab first. It will pay big dividends later.

Building a shed was alot of fun and alot of work. I installed a 6' garage door so I would not have to contend with a sagging door. I had about $2k in a 10' x 12' shed, but it was nice. The garage door was $600. It took me a month to finish it. (plus slab)

My next home I poured an oversized 4" slab and installed a Lifetime 10'x 8' plastic shed. It took me only four hours to install it. I have had it for over five years and no problems. I can add on to it if I desire. Very happy with it. It cost about $600 at the time. (plus slab)

Both were nice. But what really made them nice more than anything was the foundation. I like the Plastic Unit the best. So easy to install, no paint, no maintenance.
coolreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #87
jdelaune

If you have the time I would suggest building your own. I keep looking at what is available and the quality is not that good and the price is too much. Seems like I can build exactly what I want with good materials for less then what everyone is getting. It is just that matter of having the time to do it.
jdelaune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #88
FleaDog

Hello, I am looking at this shed from home depot:

Handy home products "princeton" 10x10 wood shed for $699.

I've been searching around and this seems to be the best value for a wood kit for this size.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

It costs another $300-400 on top of the base kit to complete (floor panels, drip edge, shingles, felt, etc.) Then add $ ? for a gravel pad or slab. Most of the materials are included. I can add lumber to strengthen at my discretion. Thinking of modifying the plans to enlarge to 10x14.

instructions: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...6f2cccd631.pdf

Anyone used this specific shed?
FleaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #89
crazytrain

I bought my 12x14 shed used off craiglist and fixed it up myself. I paid $400.00 for it and spent $75.00 to have it moved and about $150.00 to fix it up a bit. It was an ugly dark brown color and had cheap white metal corner molding that was broken on it. I added the windows on the side and replaced all the molding. It is 13 feet tall and I removed a few rafters braced the trusses and added a loft above that I could stand up in until I added the 2x4's above to hold wood.

crazytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #90
Rockuf8

If you want something more custom, build your own. I built this 10x16 shed for less than buying one would've cost me, and it matches my house (siding, roof..etc) and it's taller than normal. My father owns a wholesale landscape supply company so he donated the crushed stone and RR ties and helped me put in the foundation, so that eliminated a lot of the cost for me.

I just need to build a door this spring, want something really custom.

Last edited by Rockuf8; 01-02-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Rockuf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #91
FleaDog

Looks good guys I've been watching Craig's list but all old beat up rotten stuff.
FleaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #92
james_98188

Very nicely done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
You can also fit a home-built one into spaces where a prefab wouldn't work. I had windows I didn't want to obstruct, an electric meter, a downspout and a faucet to deal with. But it was the only space on my property where there was room for storage.

james_98188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #93
james_98188

In their defense, the installers were trying to install the thing on my concrete slab in rainy, very windy conditions. However, they DID splinter a base board which I later repaired, and I had to add about seven anchor wedges to pull the base boards tighter against the concrete to fix water entry points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
james_98188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #94
budss396

I used to have a business building yard barns and fences (I am a Carpenter by trade). I would build my own. How we used to estimate the cost to build one as Material CostsX2.2. example $500 material cost X 2.2 = $1100. The labor is the highest part of the cost.
If you decide to do this I can supply you with links to storage shed plans that you can get for free (mother earths news etc)
budss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #95
Kevin54

I think I posted this before, but I'll post it again http://www.deplans.com/plans/ Click on the barn plans. You can either click on a certain size, or all the way over to the left of the page for example it will say "Download Garden Shed Version...."

If you click on that, then you can alter the size to what fits your needs. You can make either a shed, or change it so it's large enough for a garage. It gives the length and cuts for your rafters and collar ties if needed.

If you have any questions about it I can walk you through it.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #96
JimVonBaden

Prefab for me, water tight and mold proof, and never needs painting.

I found it new on CL for $200, and it cost me $150 for the base. It is an 8x10.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #97
scheu

I had mine built. Yea, yea, could built it myself for less $$, etc... But the guy that did it was great. His trailer was only 7' wide (so it would fit through typical gates). Had all the materials in order that he needed them on it. He and a helper built me a 14x10, treated ply floor, concrete siding, in 1 day. Cleaned up the area, only tire tracks in the dirt. Allsize Shed here in Wichita. HIGHLY recomended. scheu
scheu is offline   Reply With Quote