Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
alteredpilot

Default OTC Genisys Scanner...???

ANY FEEDBACK?

i've always used SnapOn....MT2500 and MODIS, but i'm going independent and have to buy for the shop...

i'm not sure i'm willing to pay snapon prices if there is no DISTINCT advantage.
granted...snapon is THE STUFF, but i've been looking at the OTC package pricing....do you really get what you pay for?

i've heard both sides, but mostly from former snapon users...

any input is greatly appreciated.
alteredpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
kartracer55

Default Re: OTC Genisys Scanner...???

There are a lot of shops that use the MODIS, and obviously my snap on dealer swears that its the holy grail of automotive scanners, but we use the Genisys at work with no problems. The biggest perk to it is that it costs substantially less, and the updates are WAY cheaper. I have never personally used a MODIS so I can not comment on user friendliness. OTC uses a Motorola processor? and it tends to be a bit on the slow side, although it isn't painful.

The OTC scanner allows for both "global OBDII" as well as Vehicle Specific scanning for troubleshooting help, testing etc, which is nice. It covers pretty much everything we would like to do with it at work. I scanned an f350 with the same "generic" cartridge I would use to scan my car or somebody's Honda or something. Ask a Snap On rep to give you a demo, and Im sure you could arrange for a demo of an OTC scanner if you can track down a Matco Dealer.

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
chevy302dz

I have also heard that the Genisys is slow. Have you considered using one of the laptop based scantools?
chevy302dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Spookrider

Genisy I use at school. There is more step to enter at begging but, to me there more cool tool that can be used if you get the full package. The scope bit on it is wild. To me better than Snap-On so far. using me to judge what to buy when I use it a little use knowledge.
Spookrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
kartracer55

Yeah one nice feature about the Genysis, which I am unsure if the MODIS has, is that you can customize exactly which inputs you would like to monitor and graph. You can also record them over a given period of time, in case you wanted to monitor something under a specific condition.

Ideally I would get the sales Pitch from a Matco guy and a Snap On guy and make your decision from there.

Jim

Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
alteredpilot

as it were...
i have been using a modis for the last year and a half or so....
its WAAAAYYYY more tool than i've needed, but alas, the scanner belongs to the shop.

i got the napa rep to put me with the OTC rep this thursday.

my research so far indicates that the genisys is a pretty decent tool.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
Spookrider

Modis will give you the answer faster, but it lack the why graph wise.
It will info you a deep chapter for you if you sre skill at it. In class that is the first scan tool we go for. Gen. is the king of scan tool in our class. It fancy, cool , and it give us to much info(which is good). Get the full package and it will amaze you, on the info that rools out that thing.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
AutoTech

Well I guess I will give my 2 cents here. I have both the Modis and Genisys. They both have there good and bad points. Sometimes the Genisys will get into modules that the Modis can't and vice versa. One scan tool might show a data pid the other one doesn't. I think SpookRider said the Modis doesn't graph but id does that is one area the Modis shines over the Genisys. The Modis will graph 8 pids at one time and the Genisys graphs 3. The 4 channel Oscilloscope in the Modis puts the Genisys scope to shame. I do driveability work and use the igniton scope and lab scope features in the Modis alot. But the Genisys is a good tool, cheaper to buy and update, has good overall coverage, hopefully they have the battery issues fixed because they are expensive I just priced one for mine because it won't hold a charge and it is about $160 from Mac tools.
AutoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
Spookrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTech View Post
Well I guess I will give my 2 cents here. I have both the Modis and Genisys. They both have there good and bad points. Sometimes the Genisys will get into modules that the Modis can't and vice versa. One scan tool might show a data pid the other one doesn't. I think SpookRider said the Modis doesn't graph but id does that is one area the Modis shines over the Genisys. The Modis will graph 8 pids at one time and the Genisys graphs 3. The 4 channel Oscilloscope in the Modis puts the Genisys scope to shame. I do driveability work and use the igniton scope and lab scope features in the Modis alot. But the Genisys is a good tool, cheaper to buy and update, has good overall coverage, hopefully they have the battery issues fixed because they are expensive I just priced one for mine because it won't hold a charge and it is about $160 from Mac tools.
Gen. has thing that can fine tune the graph and do some wild things to it.
But we are still learning all the cool feature.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
jay50
Banned

I have both a Genisys and Modis in my shop. I picked the Genisys up brand new last year for $900 as a backup scanner for my shop. Until I got it, I had heard bad things about them but have quickly discovered it is a decent engine performance tool and blows Modis away in Ford bi-directional controls. I find myself using it now when I get driveabilit problems. The Modis/snap on does have it strengths in areas of BCM, PATS (ford antitheft) and great scope capablilty. Also snap on has excellent troubleshooter section.
If might want to look at the new Solus Pro also. If you can get a cheap Genisys, go for it as a backup unit. If you go with Genisys, might want to pickup a Vantage from snappy.
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
kartracer55

Yesterday I took my car to a shop across the street which we do a lot of work for. Its funny, they are a low volume shop that doesnt seem to move too many cars, but they have the full blown Modis setup. I must say, I like the modis better than the genysis. The modis has the built in component tester and it has the built in scope. the genysis has a troubleshooting section, but the snap on seems to be more in depth. The modis cable is also much longer which is helpful when doing some sort of drivability test because the cable tends to get in my way.

Interestingly enough, my car reacted much better to the MODIS than the Genysis. For those of you who didnt catch my post a few weeks back, my car does not agree with the genysis. The engine revs up and the scanner will not communicate with the car to retrieve codes.

Jim

Old 11-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #12
alteredpilot

thanks for all the input guys.

having used a modis, i'm aware of what it has and does.

having NOT used a genisys, i'm not.

the modis is a nice tool, but i dont think its worth it to ME to spend 9k on one right now.

we already have a stand alone hand held scope so i dont really need the integration.

i have the NAPA tool rep coming to demo a Genisys unit for me in a little over a week.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
toolfreak

Let us know how the demo goes. I have thought about buying a genisys for almost a year now but wasn't sure how well they worked or which model to go with.
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
kartracer55

Then I would say go for a genysis. Our shop gets by just fine with it. Updates are cheaper too

Jim