Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
tonydanzah

Default dodge/jeep/chrysler tech question 4.7

I have started to look for an older used v8 4x4. Something to drive in the winter on bad days and occasionally tow a trailer. But something that will be used only a few times a month. I really like the early 2000s dodge dakota quad cabs with the 4.7 and 4x4. I also like the early 2000s jeep grand cherokees with the 4.7.

My question is when i googled dodge dakota 4.7 engine problems, I get loads and loads of hits. Lots of complaints of low miles engine failure due to sludge. If I google jeep grand cherokee 4.7 engine problems not much comes up?

Is this the same engine in both? IS there a reason for the failure in one and not the other?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
tatra

Default Re: dodge/jeep/chrysler tech question 4.7

i believe dodge owners , while educated are not above the grade 8 level of writing and we all know how children complain about everything..........jeep owners are neanthredals that have trouble expressing themselves [ i know , i've met ddawg], at least that has been my personal observations..........
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
diesel research

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatra View Post
i believe dodge owners , while educated are not above the grade 8 level of writing and we all know how children complain about everything..........jeep owners are neanthredals that have trouble expressing themselves [ i know , i've met ddawg], at least that has been my personal observations..........

Having said that, I believe if you must own a vehicle prone to sludging issues, there are a few things that can be done to reduce this. I am not talking about magic oils or drastically altered change intervals either.

I am talking about long term improvements requiring a few hours of your time, basic hand tools, and a few hundred dollars. Specifically, bypass filtration unit and possible oil cooler.

Lot of sludging occurs due to excess oil temps (not all) By providing a bit more cooling and excess capacity these issues may be reduced or completely fixed. No one can argue the positive benefits of increased filtration efficiency...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKBs6KGcgwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjHb9j9j4xc
diesel research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
neonnblack

My moms dakota has been goin strong for around 100k now with nothing but oil changes and new plugs a few weeks ago. never an issue with anything else except the clear coat is starting to peel (its happening on my stratus too they must use cheap paint)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pmech View Post
It's the equivalent of shooting a puppy in the face for crapping behind the couch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkk View Post
MAN! I'd powder that bitch up, run her around til she got all sweaty then I'd lick the sludge out of the cracks! HmmmmmHmmmmm....
neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
bentwrench54

co-worker of mine has a 2000 dakota crew cab 4x4 with the 4.7 engine. he likes it, but the fuel mileage is comparable to a full size truck.

Camping, Hunting, Maple Syrup, Stihl, General Motors
bentwrench54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
scofo

Seen about 8 4.7s at the indy I work at in the last 3 yrs for cyl head work. 1 jeep and 7 dodge trucks. Valve seats falling out and head gaskets. Most if not all head gasket falures were collateral damage. Valve seats ? None seemed sludged though?

If you find yourself working on one be extremely cautious of the small "wedged" shaped bolt that holds the chain guide to the head. Do not use power tools and torque this fastener properly or it will split the chickensh!t boss it screws into, hell it might split even then.
scofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

the lifter sticks in the bore and the rocker arm falls out
the hemi is tons better than the 4.7
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
scofo

Lifter problem is what I thought the first time. I replaced the lifter and put it back together and it ran fine till I got 3miles from the shop then the seat fell out again and this time it didn't refit itself. Live and learn. All subsequent failures had been hard faults.
scofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Shadowdog500

My 2003 jeep is still running strong at 180k. All it needed so far was a cam position sensor, spark plugs, and regular oil changes with Mobile 1. I replaced the seeping front crank seal and water pump while I had it apart for a leaking radiator.

My 1953 Willis jeep has god knows how many miles on the Hurricane engine and still runs like a top.

Jeeps are fun! Either you love them or hate them!

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 11-05-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
wafrederick

Another problem with the 4.7 including the 3.7 and hemi is that the valve seats drop out of the head.I have seen this with the 4.7 so far.The 4.7 is an interferance engine.I replaced all of the exhuast valves on one,the previous person that worked on it did not tighten the cam gear bolt very well on the driver's side.Sheared the pin holding the gear in place off too.Was a brand new head too.Jasper does fix the problem with the valve seat problem the first time.With the 4.7 including the 3.7,shake your wallet out.Expensive to fix when it breaks.There are two versions of the 4.7,a high output and a non high ouput.The high output 4.7 is in most Jeep Grand Cherokees

Last edited by wafrederick; 11-05-2011 at 03:57 PM.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
SS5150

The rockers typically get blasted out from a misfire, and usually the dropped seats are a result of overheat(ing) the engine.

Can't say that I've seen sludge as an issue on those though. 2.7, definitely, 3.7/4.7 not so much.

2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ
1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
2011 Ski-Doo TNT 800 Etec
2010 Ski-Doo MXZ 600

Certified Chrysler, Jeep, & Dodge Technician
SS5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofo View Post
Lifter problem is what I thought the first time. I replaced the lifter and put it back together and it ran fine till I got 3miles from the shop then the seat fell out again and this time it didn't refit itself. Live and learn. All subsequent failures had been hard faults.
when that happens , I change the head
Old 11-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
cdseven95

I bought a Ram with a bad 3.7(Same concept as the 4.7) ... A couple of the rockers were just floating around..

I think you see less complaints about the Jeep because they are less common with the V8

Last edited by cdseven95; 11-05-2011 at 05:24 PM.
cdseven95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
oilslick

you guys ever seen a 2000 4.7 with bad pwr strg press sensor pump fluid into wiring harness basically destroying it causing o2 sensor false lean codes and black smoke, I have!!!!!!! What incredible junk that dodge made and still creates to this day as far as I am concerned.
oilslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Bulldog13

I've got 3 Jeeps in the family..but I prefer the straight 6 .Just picked up a V6 Liberty for the wife.My buddy got a Dakota...piece of crap ..I'm always fixing it.
Bulldog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
Deafautotech

My family fleet has 2003 liberty with 3.7L as bought it with 19k miles and now it has about 88k miles. Just regular maintances. No problems.

My brother has a 2004 dodge Dakota with 4.7L that he bought it as 115k but now it has about 155k miles. No problems as just regular maintenance as ball joints, water pump, trans service, brakes, wheel bearings, etc.. I do all those works..

I sometime wish to do works on those a lot as it is too easy!!! But ford keep me busy with engine repairs...

2001 Ford F-150 supercrew Harley Davidson edition 131K
1997 Nissan Hardbody king cab short bed 180K miles
2002 Dodge Ram 3500 with Cummins/NV5600(6speed) 209k miles
2003 Harley Davidson Road King Classic (100th anniversity edition) 42K miles
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
Mmfh

I've done quite a few of the 4.7 in the durango's and the dakota's. The 4.7 is the same in the jeep as well. Jeep is the same chassis as the Durango.

If they get a little warm the intake seat will fall out, usually on the passenger side up front, don't know why that is but I've seen it three times now.

I like to find these with problems and fix them and turn for a profit, I love them for that. I drive a 2002 Durango I bought several years ago from the original owner for 2k with 97k miles on it. He still owed twice on it as what he sold it to me for, and it was one of the nicest I'd ever seen.

They have three timing chains and the chain tensioners like to get plugged up in the oil feed hole and cause a rattle of the secondary chains. Lifters a lot of times suffer from weak springs, causing rattle for a minute after start up.

Basically they are a good driving vehicle, but they do have their problems. If I were to buy one for myself and not want to fix it I would look for one of the RT models with either the 318 or 360 engine. Chrysler has been using these engine for a long, long time. That's the 5.2 and the 5.9.

All of them, Durango, Dakota, Jeep, all have transmission problems and it generally expensive to fix. Look for one that has the trans already replaced.

Anyway, these are money makers for me but not the right choice for everyone.

Mm
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
gmwelder86

Had an 03 jeep grand cherokee with the 4.7HO, ran great never had any issues with anything besides the split heating system on the jeep. With the jeep v8 and the all wheel drive system it drives like your on dry pavment in the snow, even with crap tires. Took it up the mountains a few times and never once felt out of control. Mileage was ok, nothing to complain about. And from what I have read the 4.7ho is built alot more stout than the standard 4.7
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

were those aisin warner ?
the 5.8 would tear those up
Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
wafrederick

The 5 speed automatic that replaces the 727 and 904 does not go out and most yards don't get a call for them,buy them cheap for $125.00 from most yards since they don't break.I have replaced the torque converter in one so far,had a shudder.The 4.7 ho has a differant crank,pistons and rods and cams.Have to count the number of teeth on the tone ring for the crank sensor too,16 and 32 teeth tone ring.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote