Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Danglerb

Question Benwil two post lifts

A local shop is selling 4 Benwil TP-7 two post 7,000 lb lifts, and its got me interested since they are not so tall drive over style. Big down side is that it appears Benwil may no longer exist. Only news I find talks about I think Maxxon buying it along with Globe and making Benwil Globe, then nothing and the web page is one of those pretend to be what it isn't search referral pages.

Couple links of info, ebay listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150177654150

Link to pdf of parts listing.
http://www.panzittasales.com/PDFs/BENWIL/TP7.pdf
Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
dawg

Default Re: Benwil two post lifts

2 years ago one of those benwill lifts folded on a guy in my town and nearly killed him.
made in china if i remember the article.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
PxTx

I suspect that the lift did not fail due to poor design or manufacturing. A car more than likely fell off the lift due to improper loading of a vehicle. Are any facts about the acident available?
PxTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Danglerb

I haven't found any accidents related to failure of the lift, just loading.

I think Benwil had some lifts from Japan, but mostly Carson, Calif. hecho en Norte Mexico.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
mikeceli

My old shop had a couple BP7's. One floor plate, one clear floor. Both were used day in, day out, never a problem. We even stored cars in the air, many nights and weekends.

I think the motors were made in Japan, but it's been 13 years, since I left that shop. We bought them new, in the mid 1980's.

EDIT I recently bought a "Powerrex" marketed by completehydraulic.com

Used it a couple times, so far, so good. SL10000BP it's asymetric/symetric just what I needed for my 2001 Vette and other cars.

Last edited by mikeceli; 11-06-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Powerrex not Powermax
mikeceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
PxTx

The Complete lift is actually made by Powerrex, although Powermax does sound better.

Congrats or your selection! I think the Powerrex lifts are hands down the best lift on the market in the sub $3k price range. Their arms are superior in design and craftsmanship to anything else at that price point! I do prefer the saftery release of the floor plate models over the overhead, but both perform the same function.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
mikeceli

Powerrex, yeah that's it! Corrected on edit.

PxTx, what is your experience w/ Powerrex? As I mentioned I only used it a few times, hobby shop. I REALLY think the dual mode asymetric/symetric arma are a BIG deal. I used the Benwils daily for years.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
carguy123

I went to completehydraulic.com and found this lift:
http://completehydraulic.com/sl10000oh.html

It doesn't say Powerrex anywhere on the website. Is this a Powerrex &/or does anyone have anything to say about it.

I have no height limitations and really would like a lift that will go higher so that I can walk under without hitting my head. I like the idea of having symmetric and assymetric. I wonder if it would be worth the extra $$$ to get the 12000 model since it is higher still?

What I don't see on this page is much info on construction (compared to some other pages I have seen) a little on the safety features.

Does anyone know if this is one of those super loud, clackety clack lifts or one of the more silent ones. I was under the impression that the hydraulic lifts were reasonably quiet.

Just looking at specs about the only thing I'd really like is a clearance of less than 4". 2 of my cars are 3" off the ground. I
3 wipe your butt with your bare left hand, but consider bacon unclean.
4 think vests come in two styles: bullet-proof & suicide.
5 consider TV dangerous, but carry explosives in your clothing.
6 were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs.

Last edited by carguy123; 11-06-2007 at 12:22 AM.
carguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 AM   #9
mikeceli

My Complete Hydraulic SL10000BP was labled "Powerrex". I asked CH about it and they said they were the (a)US distributor, of Powerrex.

My safties "clack" as it goes up. Dosent bother me. The clear-floor safties might be different. CH has distributors in cali and , I think, other states. I saved $$ by picking it up, about 50 miles from my site.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
PxTx

Well fellows, my experience with Powerrex is has been nothing but positive. I've been involved with catering to some high end residential garages around the Philadelphia area. Often times we install lifts into these home garages. I do not get involved with commercial installes because the market is so cut-throat.

As with many lift companies, Powerrex began when some engineers from an older German lift company left to start thier own. You can check them out here http://www.powerrex.com.au/ and clicking at the photo album will give you some perspective.

Yes, the SL series lifts from Complete are made by Powerrex and private labled for Complete. Complete lifts have evolved over time to what it is today. The ones sold by Complete are not listed on the Powerrex web site. There was acually some issue at one time since the price that Complete sells them are far below the International market. Regardles of the political issues, you can't argue with a fellow who moves 200 units a month!

The Powerrex lift he sells is still a great one. Again, the arms are one of it's stong points. I have not installed any of the 12k lifts, but suspect that the front arm is not a 3 stage arm like the 10k. I think the 10k is a better lift for most people becaue the arm configuration is so flexable. Mayby you could ask Complete if they could exchange the front arms off the 12k for the ones on the 10k. This would give you the best of both worlds!

Yes, the safty latches are different on the OH vs the BP. I like the BP version, since they use a solonoid. The OH uses a more simplistic mecahnical latch. You could hold the OH latch handle as the lift rises to avoid the noise, but it's a non-issue for me.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #11
will02

I bought my SL10000 OH a year ago and love it. Got the OH because I am in a wheelchair and didn't want to fight the base plate. Works like a champ, great service. Ordered it on a Thurs about 4 PM and it was here (800 miles away) 8 o'clock Monday morning! Only thing that went wrong was a couple of hyd fittings were loose and leaked all over my new cement No biggy, just made a mess.
will02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #12
tonyvlx

Is the SL10000 OH made in the USA or off shore???? Seems to be priced low. Thanks
tonyvlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Ezzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvlx View Post
Is the SL10000 OH made in the USA or off shore???? Seems to be priced low. Thanks

Good question - I am just researching lift options and the SL10000 OH has caught my eye as a less expensive but still adequate option (for hobby use)over the Rotary SPOA10. Anybody know where these are made (are they imported to the USA from Powerrex in Australia)??
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
PxTx

Yes, they are imported. Powerrex is sold all over the world. Different products come from different plants. I'm sure They can tell you which country of origin the product you are looking at if from. If I recall the SL10000 is from Korea. It's kinda like comparing a Korean car, like Hyundai to a competing car made in China- like a Geely. Just because they are both Asian does not mean they are the same.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
Danglerb

I just don't see this country of origin being a big factor, sometimes its coincidental with quality, some times it isn't. Quality of the lift and quality of support for it are what matters.

What good does it do you to buy a "quality" USA lift if the company business model is poor and they go bankrupt like Benwil?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
fsnissen

The Benwil TP 7 is about as good an above ground lift as has ever been made. These were also sold as GM Dealer Equipment back in the day when '76 Custom Cruiser wagons were still regular visitirs to dealer shops. If well maintained, they last just about forever. Way underrated at 7,000 pounds. The footprint on the concrete is also far better than the newer lists. All of them I have ever seen came from Japan. Far superior to the current chinese crap.

Regards,
Fred
fsnissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
Tom's Fabrication

I have just installed a Benwil Series 7 lift I bought used a couple of weeks ago. I am having problems getting the following side to release the safety latches when it comes down. The problem seems to be the correct location of the large nuts on the ends of the cables in relation to the dog release mechanism. Does anyone out there have a diagram or knowledge how this should be set up?
Any help will be appreciated.
Tom
Tom's Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
linus69

I was able to get a bound copy of the owners manual for my 1970`s vintage Benwil TPO-55 from these good folks for $35 delivered. Also there is a fellow there named James who worked a lot on these Benwil lifts and he has been a great help to me with advice for my lift, spoke to him today in fact.

Panzitta Sales
72 George Ave
Wilkes-Barre, PA
(570) 822-6720
Speak to Bob for a manual, or ask for James for tech advice
linus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
kayooh

Hey Guys.
I need your collective wisdom.
I am in the market for used garage lift.
I found an old four post Ben Person and an equally old two post Benwil.

My question is; Which is safer to operate and more versatile?

I do know that with the four post you need (for wheel and brake work) an extra lift or some sort of a jack that runs on the runways which I have seen available from several vendors.

I also feel that with a two post, lifting a car without it's motor is a risky business.

Please advise.

Thank you.
kayooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
rburke65

This has been an ongoing debate here for just about forever! Some swear by the 4 post and some swear at them. And like wise for the 2 posts. It's up to you. There are lots of post....did you get that pun?.......about this subject.
rburke65 is offline   Reply With Quote