Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
alido2boord

Default Garage Door Opener Broken (Montgomery Ward)

Hi there. I apologize if I am using the forum wrong, but I discovered this forum through trying to resolve the issue I have with my garage.

I have this block that sits on the rotating screw. I suppose you can call it a pulley as it slides along the track to open/close the garage when the screw rotates. It cracked in half from repeated use over the decades. Don't know if I am making it clear because I don't know any terminology in the garage world.

Where would I be able to find a piece to replace this block? Montgomery Ward is apparently out of business, but I did find that it was revived by Swiss Colony, except that they don't deal with garage doors anymore.

I don't know if the track is related to the motor, the model on the motor is YMC-34150.

I don't want to waste extra money replacing the whole garage door if I can just replace one piece. Thanks for any input!
alido2boord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Falcon67

Default Re: Garage Door Opener Broken (Montgomery Ward)

Well, you can Google "wards garage door opener parts" and hit up some of the companies that come up. As long as Wards has been gone - MANY years - I would no hold out much hope. It MIGHT be a Chamberlain. If it's used for normal access, I would toss it and go with a modern opener that scrambles the remote codes and what not. The functional opener that was in the house we bought last December went in the trash for a $280 Sears 3/4 HP belt drive and it was money well spent.

Even my go-to Samurai Appliance Repair site doesn't list door opener parts

PS - Swiss Colony just bought the "Wards" name - has nothing to do with the old stores, inventory, etc. Why you would want to do that....?

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread

Last edited by Falcon67; 11-15-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
38Chevy454

Well, Wards did not build their own. I bet it could be Chamberlain rebranded so pursue that for parts. Or do as Falcon67 suggested and just get a new one. I think yours has certainly given good service.

My detached garage project:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66932

USA made high quality bear claw style latches - cheap:
http://www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
wssix99

I'd guess Chamberlain, also.

If your opener is pre-1993, here's an interesting FAQ from their site:

Support for Pre-1993 Units

My garage door opener is several years old. Will you still support it?
Chamberlain is committed to the highest standards of product safety. Over the years, Chamberlain has led the industry in introducing innovative product safety features. Chamberlain has manufactured garage door openers for 50 years with a safety record that ranks as one of the best in the industry.

In the early 1990s, the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) enacted into law new rules ensuring that all garage door openers manufactured after 1992 had external entrapment protection devices, such as infrared sensors or sensing edges, in addition to the internal contact reverse mechanism. Garage door openers made prior to 1993 are safe and reliable if installed, tested, and maintained properly. However, the vast majority of these older units are not equipped with infrared sensors or other external entrapment protection devices, and thus do not meet today's standards for garage door opener safety. To insure the highest degree of safety and customer satisfaction, Chamberlain believes it is important that pre-1993 garage door openers are replaced, as opposed to being repaired.

In 2008, Chamberlain made the decision to stop supporting the repair of all pre-1993 Chamberlain garage door openers, this includes technical service support and the sale of replacement parts. We believe this decision will provide you with the latest in technology and more safety, security, and convenience features. Chamberlain will not be responsible for warranty or liabilities incurred as a result of someone repairing a pre-1993 (non-infrared or safety sensing) garage door opener.

We believe this decision is in the best interest of our customers, as safety always comes first.
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
alido2boord

Okay. I should probably just get an upgrade then! Thank you for the information and opinions.
alido2boord is offline   Reply With Quote