Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #21
BloodySinner

Default Re: The Square Drill Bit

...this is lunacy!
BloodySinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #22
magnusk750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach James View Post
I've never seen it before. Neither has my dad. My buddies at work have never seen it. Nor has my father in law. My wife and kids haven't seen it. My mom and sister have not seen it before either. The priest at my church said it's new to him. The guys in the Knights of Columbus said they had not seen it before. The autotech teachers at my school said they were not aware of this item. My secretary laughed when I asked her if she had seen a bit that drilled a square hole. The maintenance chief at the school thought I was joking when I told him about a bit that drilled square holes.

So a collective "Thanks" to Ryan for posting this from all of us that have never seen it before.

Coach
+1 here

Facebook: facebook.com/OyMagnusHenriksson
magnusk750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 AM   #23
TireTracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lump View Post
That is just plain cool. I've heard of them before, but never seen one in action. I THINK the unit I heard about was used for wood, however.

I'm curious...I note the "arbor" ocillates heavily...does this require a special machine, or would it work in a large drill press? (Is "ocillate" the right word?)

Very impressive.
The machine I belive your talking about is a Motriser(sp). Uses a drillbit in a square chisle to make square holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
You missed the important part "antique", dried out seals and leathers, operator unfamiliar with operation, little voice in my head keeps saying "Darwin":shocking:
TireTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #24
country83

They showed us that video at work about a month or so ago. Pretty cool stuff. Wonder if it'll ever see much use in the real world or if it'll be more of a "specialty" thing.
country83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #25
40Tudor

I knew I had seen something like this before (April 1956 Pop Sci). Wonder how the head in the video works.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NC0...page&q&f=false
40Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #26
flatfourfan

The slowmo makes me think of the internals of a rotary motor.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
TWX

A buddy of mine could use one, but at the prices they go for, probably will never end up with one.
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
imagine44

This is called rotary broaching. The center axis of the bit follows an ellipse while simultaneously rotating. In this case the ellipse is a circle with a triangular bit. A "square" is only one on many shapes that can be made this way. If you change the ellipse or the bit, any number of shapes can be cut. Harry Watts created this and patented it 100 years ago.

Made in USA...

Last edited by imagine44; 11-17-2011 at 11:24 AM.
imagine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #29
alex71

Pretty cool. Don't think you'll be making this work in your drill press though. To keep that square hole square both the spindle and the fixture would need to be damn rigid.

F
ree shipping on orders over $50

alex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
Lump
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex71 View Post
Pretty cool. Don't think you'll be making this work in your drill press though. To keep that square hole square both the spindle and the fixture would need to be damn rigid.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right about that, Alex.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #31
evildky

it's a more sophisticated mortising jig
evildky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #32
Michael Bryce Winnick

Cool. To me it is new. Great for hot rod dash panels.
Michael Bryce Winnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #33
onewaydave

I thought I'd seen a discussion on rotary broaches on this site a few months ago.

But older n dirt, of course. It's just a matter of putting a square peg in a round hole!

Dave, who couldn't file a round hole into a square hole to save his life.
What do the CIA, FBI, NSA, Pentagon, White House, Microsoft, Apple, VA, ATT, Chase, Bank of America, Target,Walmart, Sony Play Station, the Justice Department and I have in common? We've all been hacked. Mostly by 16 year olds or the Chinese.
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #34
carbon

For super old square/star/etc hole wood-boring tools, check out "A Very Boring Program" by a hero of mine, Roy Underhill in his tv series, The Woodwright's Shop. Go to about 14:25.
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #35
70Chevy

We had a discussion about this drilling a square hole 20+ years ago back in college. I didn't understand it then, but now that I see it work, it seems simple. The oscillation is from the triangular "flutes" of the drill being offset to the shank of the drill - not the spindle of the machine oscillating.
Glad I finally saw it in action after all of this time - I did think about it every now and then.
Thanks for posting.
70Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #36
bitbycarbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
If you think that's neat, you need to check out How Round Is Your Circle?
You can check how round your circle is by checking it against the most spherical thing ever made.

The pursuit of the Kilogram:

But thanks for the book. I'll have to look it up.
bitbycarbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #37
rtoms

I can see myself finding one of these and putting it in a corded drill and swearing alot after it cranks my wrist in half
rtoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
Richard D

A Watts drill is not the same as a rotary broach. I can't explain the difference, but there is one. Quoted from the Woodworkforum;

http://www.woodworkforums.com/archiv.../t-142453.html
By Pete F
"I think rotary broaching is actually a different principle to that shown above. IIRC, with a rotary broach, the broach is held stationary on the work and "wobbled" by an eccentric, hmm, not sure how to describe it, I'll say "cam" but I'm sure somebody will shoot me down for that as it's not really a cam at all. Anyway, an eccentric "plate" behind the broach that wobbles the broach from side to side and drives it through the pre-drilled hole. I intend to make one of these, but just haven't had time ... hence why I'm typing while sitting in Tokyo!

On the other hand the one above is a "Harry Watt" drill bit. As I understand it, that rotates pretty much like a normal drill bit, BUT the drive to the specially shaped drill bit ALSO rotates. It's really tricky to describe, but I think it showed it on the video in the link. Imagine getting your drill press quill, mounting that offset on a plate, and also turning that around in a circular shape. Ok that's a really crap description, sorry you'll just have to look at the videos. Google "Harry Watt", he was a clever dude. Edit: Oh, just watched that video, ok, yes that would be another way to rotate the drive, run it through a fixture with universal joints so the axis of the drive is changed. Very cunning. Anyway the point is rotary/wobble broaching, and Harry Watt drill bits work on quite different principles, so may be confusing when intermixed in posts. Both pretty clever, but as mentioned, I've heard the former is better for a number of reasons."

Last edited by Richard D; 11-18-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #39
Richard D

I contacted Dijet USA; here's their response:

"Dijet Japan sells the tool only to a special spindle maker in Japan.

The special spindle maker does not sell overseas.

Sorry."
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #40
ewe0006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
A Watts drill is not the same as a rotary broach. I can't explain the difference, but there is one. Quoted from the Woodworkforum;

http://www.woodworkforums.com/archiv.../t-142453.html
By Pete F
"I think rotary broaching is actually a different principle to that shown above. IIRC, with a rotary broach, the broach is held stationary on the work and "wobbled" by an eccentric, hmm, not sure how to describe it, I'll say "cam" but I'm sure somebody will shoot me down for that as it's not really a cam at all. Anyway, an eccentric "plate" behind the broach that wobbles the broach from side to side and drives it through the pre-drilled hole. I intend to make one of these, but just haven't had time ... hence why I'm typing while sitting in Tokyo!

On the other hand the one above is a "Harry Watt" drill bit. As I understand it, that rotates pretty much like a normal drill bit, BUT the drive to the specially shaped drill bit ALSO rotates. It's really tricky to describe, but I think it showed it on the video in the link. Imagine getting your drill press quill, mounting that offset on a plate, and also turning that around in a circular shape. Ok that's a really crap description, sorry you'll just have to look at the videos. Google "Harry Watt", he was a clever dude. Edit: Oh, just watched that video, ok, yes that would be another way to rotate the drive, run it through a fixture with universal joints so the axis of the drive is changed. Very cunning. Anyway the point is rotary/wobble broaching, and Harry Watt drill bits work on quite different principles, so may be confusing when intermixed in posts. Both pretty clever, but as mentioned, I've heard the former is better for a number of reasons."
You're close...

Conventional broaching pushes a form tool straight into/through the workpiece. Rotary broaching, done on a lathe, angles the tool about 1 degree off the centerline of the workpiece. The broach is allowed to spin freely, and is pushed into the workpiece. As the workpiece rotates, it rotates the tools, engaging only one edge of the tool into the cut at anytime.

That's probably the best way I've actually ever explained that process!

Slater Tools makes rotary broaching tools for lathes, and they've got some videos of the process in action on their website. We use these where I work to put hex sockets in some aerospace parts.

If I were to classify that Dijet tool into a generic machining category, I would call it an end mill. A really crazy end mill.
ewe0006 is offline   Reply With Quote