Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
PoorOwner

Default DIY socket organizer

I looked at a few options like hanson and ernst but they cost a bit much and I still have some bits and pieces or holes to fill.

I am thinking of getting some 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" round or square clear plexiglass rods (around $6 buys 20 ft of each size) and some aryclic solvent glue on a thick piece of plexiglass, That way I make my own socket holder set with the rods cut to correct length or all the same length and spacing to my own preference. Would a square or round rod be better?

The glue is very strong it is used to make aquariums.
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
wilbilt
Banned

Default Re: DIY socket organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOwner View Post
I looked at a few options like hanson and ernst but they cost a bit much and I still have some bits and pieces or holes to fill.

I am thinking of getting some 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" round or square clear plexiglass rods (around $6 buys 20 ft of each size) and some aryclic solvent glue on a thick piece of plexiglass, That way I make my own socket holder set with the rods cut to correct length or all the same length and spacing to my own preference. Would a square or round rod be better?

The glue is very strong it is used to make aquariums.
That sounds like a good idea. I would bore some holes for the rods, though. You could build your own tray and design it so that it doesn't waste space like all the commercial offerings do.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
NOMAD

If you use square rods you can custom position them so the size # is always readable.

Go for it.
NOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Franz©
Banned

I just welded rods to the bottom of my socket drawer. It's worked for 20+ years.

Acrylics become very brittle when cold.
Franz© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
grillmasterp

I would suggest getting your standard metal socket racks/rails and and mount them to a flat plate.

I have been very pleased with this rack
http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog...spx?pid=179787
grillmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Tiny Jackson

I did your idea of the homemade socket trays a couple weeks ago. However rather than using acrylic rod I used Delrin rod and UHMW Polyethlene for the base. Those should hold up better in a cold climate. I bought black for SAE and used white for metric.
Tiny Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
PoorOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Jackson View Post
I did your idea of the homemade socket trays a couple weeks ago. However rather than using acrylic rod I used Delrin rod and UHMW Polyethlene for the base. Those should hold up better in a cold climate. I bought black for SAE and used white for metric.
Where did you get these materials and what glue did you use?

Considering doing it in wood as well.. drill out a 3/4" plywood and press fit and glue some wood rods into it.

But I also like the socket ogranizer posted above, that seems to have the cheapest price per socket out of all the holders I have seen.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Tiny Jackson

Wood would probably not hold up as well over time.

I got my material from McMaster-Carr. I live 1 1/2 miles from their warehouse so I just pick it up at will-call, however you can order it off their website and have it drop shipped to your location.

I drilled holes in the polyethlene 1/64" bigger than the rod and used Loctite Cyanoacyrolate(industrial superglue).

One cool thing is you can buy only the amount of material you need as the rod prices are by the foot and the flat stock is sold in a multitude of sizes.

I used 1/4" thick flat stock for the base and 1/8", 1/4" and 5/16" rod for the different socket drive sizes.
Tiny Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
SteveL

You can get the Harbor Freight version of the Hansons now for $6.99 for all three. Saw this in the flyer that I got two days ago. How bad can this be and for $6.99 you are way ahead of making your own. Part # is 99595

'06 Mercedes C230
'02 BMW 330ci
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
-lecroix-
Banned

I was thinking the same thing Steve ...
-lecroix- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
wilbilt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
You can get the Harbor Freight version of the Hansons now for $6.99 for all three. Saw this in the flyer that I got two days ago. How bad can this be and for $6.99 you are way ahead of making your own. Part # is 99595
They still waste way too much space.

How would I improve them?
1) Remove the silly hanger/handle thing.
2) Remove the useless divider thing.
3) run the deeps and shallows in opposite directions and move them closer together, making the whole thing about 2" narrower.

Last edited by wilbilt; 11-10-2007 at 11:59 AM.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
PoorOwner

Hey guys I just ordered 3 of the VIM Tools one as listed above..
about $50 should 240 sockets. After some thinking I like it because you can arrange them freely and as tightely as you need, and you can bring the whole tray up to 80 sockets to your work area.