Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #261
alpinewhite

Default Re: HF Toolboxes Workbench - Phase 3

I found these interesting pics from another thread (user RbrtAWhyt):

This setup is probably cheaper than wood kitchen cabinets.

Last edited by alpinewhite; 01-11-2013 at 12:37 AM.
alpinewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #262
pancho

Great . looks awesome
pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #263
Spudland_Dave

So, Its been a few years since these were built...Steevo, and anybody else who has them setup as benches... how have they been holding up and are you still happy you went this route? Any Regrets or things you'd change?
I'm not exactly ready to pull the trigger on a workbench just yet, Hopefully this summer I will be...
Spudland_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #264
Steevo

Mine is a little over 1 year old at this point. I loaded most of my tools into it just last November (had to move them from CA to ID first), and have only spent a couple of weeks working in the shop working out of the drawers.
The bench has been used a lot for shop tasks and I love the work area, the vise location, etc. I am still debating on under-cabinet lights for the bench, as I haven't really been short on light there.
I have chased a few small parts or tools under the bench, and now keep a steel yardstick handy to retrieve things.
I'll probably re-arrange some drawers/tools as I settle in and figure out where it is most convenient to have things.

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun" - Billy Joel
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #265
KB1LTG

I like the rubber feet on your steel workbench. It reminded me that when I could not afford those nice anti-vibration rubber feet, I made some up out of old practice Hockey pucks I had laying around, here is what they look like:

Maybe this will help someone save a few bucks, I have them on my lathe workbench, milling machine and air compressor. Never a minutes trouble and the MSC equivalent costs nearly thirty dollars each!

I epoxied the bolt head in the bottom of the puck where a small recess was drilled out enough for the bolt head to be recessed a quarter inch or so. A little loc-tite or superglue on the bolt and washer on top of the puck will keep everything tied together and able to transmit the vibration of attached machinery or bench .

Enjoy

Jerry

Last edited by KB1LTG; 01-12-2013 at 05:41 PM.
KB1LTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #266
DaWoodster

Steevo,

My neighbor was talking about adding some benches and I remembered this thread and showed him a few pics. This is what he did over the weekend. Add him to the list you've inspired ... That's only half that wall and he plans on adding several more

[IMG][/IMG]

"Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular"
40x56 auto shop (metal), 24x36 barn/woodshop (stick)
'72 Elky, sweet but still not done
24' Pace Shadow GT
Kubota BX-24, "Baby Bota"
Toyota 4k forklift
Super Lift, 7K
Forward Lift, DP-97

Last edited by DaWoodster; 01-20-2014 at 10:15 AM.
DaWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #267
IONH

Can't believe I hadn't seen this thread in the 1+ year it's been around!

Great job, very functional!
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #268
Steevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWoodster View Post
Steevo,

My neighbor was talking about adding some benches and I remembered this thread and showed him a few pics. This is what he did over the weekend. Add him to the list you've inspired ... That's only half that wall and he plans on adding several more

WOW! I thought I had a lot of drawers to lose stuff in.
That is amazing.

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun" - Billy Joel
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #269
tdkkart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWoodster View Post
Steevo,

At $359 each, still just over $2000 worth of cabinets. Try that with Snap-on or Mac. I'll bet if you walked into your local HF, grabbed the manager and said "I want 6 or 8 of these" you can probably get a bit more discount. The trick is finding a store with that many in stock.

Disclaimer: What I say is based on my knowledge and experience only. It's entirely possible I'm full of shit. You've been warned!!
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #270
cburnscrx

Talking Re: HF Toolboxes Workbench - Phase 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutzTD View Post
love the bench and the space you created, I was wondering, do you remember where all those tools are or are you planning to label drawers? I find myself constantly opening and closign drawers because I forget where things are and I only have a 1/4 of the number drawers as your bench
First post for me!

Might I suggest a Brother P-Touch label maker? They are amazing...I use it for everything, though the original purpose was to label my tool box. If you get the kind that uses the TZ tape, it will hold up to most anything you are going to throw at it. Nothing better than pulling the right drawer the first time. For the record, I have no affiliation with Brother, just really like the product and can say that it works.
cburnscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #271
J-man67

AWESOME build man!! Came out great and seems to be quite popular amongst other member's! Can't beat that!
J-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #272
neuropac

Congrats Steevo the cabinets look great
neuropac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #273
T_Raven

I bought one of these boxes online before there was a HF in Idaho Falls. It was the first box I bought a an auto tech and I've since moved up to a big Mcsimizer, but these are pretty decent boxes for the price. Making a bench out of them like that was a pretty sweet idea.
T_Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #274
Big-Foot

Very nice job Steevo.

I am curious how the oiled/waxed surface is doing for you? Would have been a lot more for Stainless, but Galvanized would work too..

I have been planning a similar bench build so this thread is now in my subscription list.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #275
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1LTG View Post
I like the rubber feet on your steel workbench. It reminded me that when I could not afford those nice anti-vibration rubber feet, I made some up out of old practice Hockey pucks I had laying around, here is what they look like:

Maybe this will help someone save a few bucks, I have them on my lathe workbench, milling machine and air compressor. Never a minutes trouble and the MSC equivalent costs nearly thirty dollars each!

I epoxied the bolt head in the bottom of the puck where a small recess was drilled out enough for the bolt head to be recessed a quarter inch or so. A little loc-tite or superglue on the bolt and washer on top of the puck will keep everything tied together and able to transmit the vibration of attached machinery or bench .

Enjoy

Jerry
If you have more pictures of what you did, I'd suggest you make a detailed thread on the subject. There's many people on here that would enjoy and appreciate it.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #276
bgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
I have chased a few small parts or tools under the bench, and now keep a steel yardstick handy to retrieve things.
I read the entire thread, great ideas. I hate it when things roll under and are hard to get. Maybe a toe kick will help
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #277
sakurama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
I'll bet if you walked into your local HF, grabbed the manager and said "I want 6 or 8 of these" you can probably get a bit more discount. The trick is finding a store with that many in stock.
Thanks to this thread I'm selling off my Kennedy rollers (no great loss - I only had two) and just picked up 4 of these. I did call the manager of the local Harbor Freight and ask what kind of discount I could get if I bought four. They were on sale for $399, with coupon for $379 and I got my four for $349. Nice.

I waffled a while in the store as the drawer slides seemed on the light side and being surrounded on all sides by the cheap products of Harbor Freight gave me pause. But for $1400 and all the praise they get here I took the gamble.

I like your frame idea and I'll probably modify it to include space for a stool between cabinets as my kids love to come out to the garage and color at my bench. Instead of lifting them in I'll use angle iron on three sides and then simply lift them with the pallet jack I got off CL today for $50 (just needed oil) and that will keep them up off the ground and the frame will level them.

Not sure on the counter top yet but perhaps stainless.

Anyway, as I get around to building the bench I'll post it in my thread. Thanks for the ideas.

Gregor
950 Refresh or Mission Creep - the KTM AWD project
Ugly Goose Into Eagle of Zeus - the Guzzi build
Rickman Triumph - the Classic Cafe Racer
Rev'It! #95 - AWD KTM Version Deus
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #278
someguy123

A bit off topic, but what is the model number on that fork lift ?

Do you have more pictures of it ?

I'd love to find a tiny forklift for my shop. Would be so handy.
someguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #279
Mohawk Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALIAKITAS View Post
I wonder if there is any sort of industrial lazy susan contraptions that could be incorporated into the corner?
Awesome thread OP! And I was wondering the same as above, if there is an industrial lazy susan cabinet.

Below is a pic of one in white, and the purple one is what my dad calls "An Efficient Jane". I found no mention of "Efficient Jane" online, so maybe it is his age/wisdom speaking, but I think both could be built fairly easy if you have fab skills. I will do something like this when I blatantly copy the OPs idea one day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lazys2.jpg (140.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg purple-st-charles-lazy-susan.jpg (27.3 KB, 284 views)
Mohawk Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #280
Winmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1LTG View Post

Enjoy

Jerry
Great idea!! You pick up the pucks off E-Bay pretty cheap too...
Winmon is offline   Reply With Quote