Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
kamkuda

Question Forced Air Furnace, in Pole barn

I have a 25 by 50 Pole Barn that I would like to have heated occasionally when i use it to work on my cars. A friend gave me a forced air home oil furnace.

Will this work fine?

Any tips? location? Ducting?

The shop is mostly insulated.

Thanks Rob
kamkuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
kamkuda

Exclamation Re: Forced Air Furnace, in Pole barn

Here is the Shop and the furnace.
This is approximately half the size. I had a concrete floor poured in one half and will do the other half next spring.

Thoughts on the position of furnace,
Is an oil furnace just a bad idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0100.JPG (72.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0096.JPG (77.9 KB, 192 views)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
rodnok1

Default Re: Forced Air Furnace, in Pole barn

Nothing wrong with oil furnace, esp for garage...except that fuel oil is going way up this winter. They do require bit more maintanence..but free is free. Put it hwere you can run the flue the straightest/easiest. Does it have a pump or gravity, most have apump. Bigger problem nowadays are the stupid tanks, don't put it in the ground...
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Northstar9126

I am hoping to find either an oil or preferably propane counter flow furnace to heat my new shop. I would like to avoid paying for #1 fuel oil if I can avoid it. I plan to just let it kick out the warm air across the floor not using any duct work. I know that the heat won't be even throughout the space but I don't plan to live in there. An old furnace from a mobile home would be great, just have to find one.
Northstar9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
kamkuda

Thanks, I poured a pad outside the shop for the oil tank.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
aerobb

I heat my home with oil fired forced air. Get 2 or 3 spare nozzles and filters, Mount the Filter just outside the tank, it gets a bit messy changing them out and you don't want heating oil all over the shop floor.

I would put the Furnace relatively close to wherever you spend the most time. the heat loss on longer runs of duct work is pretty high, unless you're going to insulate the duct which in a garage doesn't make much sense. Since warm air rises, I'd keep the duct work as low as possible. Put difusers on the ends of the duct work and it'll help even the heat a little.
aerobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
kbs2244

I am with rodnok on the tank concern. When it comes time to get rid of them you can't. Nobody wants them. Go with multiple 55 gal drums. Easier and cheaper to get and to get rid of.
I don't know how cold it gets by you, but if does go below freezing for any length of time, think of the outside tanks feeding a small 10 gal tank indoors. Use big pipe through the wall. That lets the cold thick oil warm up and thin out before you try and pump it.
Locate it central to the work area of the building. The storage area dosn't need much heat. Corners are good. They are often wasted space anyway.
I am assuming it is a upflow (Heat out the top). You will need a sheetmetal box on top. After that ductwork is as needed. Some guys just go with a hole in the side of the box. Others run pipes everywhere. I would start simple and add runs as you see the need.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
aerobb

I had guys wanting my old oil tank for a barbeque grill, one guy told me any more I wanted to get rid of give him a call. You can smoke up about 2 dozen chickens or a whole side of beef in one

I have to go with a 50/50 mix in my area as it gets mighty cold around here. if the temps drop below ~15ºF in your neck of the woods you'll want the kero/number 2 mix
aerobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Franz©
Banned

""I would like to have heated occasionally when i use it to work on my cars.""

While the furnace would certainly work to heat the garage, the problem is with your desire to only occasionally heat the garage.
Residential type furnaces are designed to maintain a set temperature, they are NOT rapid recovery heat sourses. You'll find it takes several hours of the furnace running constantly to bring the shop from 30° to 60°.
Franz© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
rodnok1

Don't put the filter outside, they suck when they freeze up. Put a shut off up stream of it. Insulate any above ground line outside(if you live in hard freeze areas) you can get spin on filter that are a breeze to change.
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
kamkuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz© View Post
""I would like to have heated occasionally when i use it to work on my cars.""

While the furnace would certainly work to heat the garage, the problem is with your desire to only occasionally heat the garage.
Residential type furnaces are designed to maintain a set temperature, they are NOT rapid recovery heat sourses. You'll find it takes several hours of the furnace running constantly to bring the shop from 30° to 60°.

Sounds like I should look for an alternative heater
Old 11-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
3/4tonYJ

i have a Fuel/Oil heater out of a mobile home in my garage, it works really good, i'm in the process of running some more ducting to other areas to distribute the heat better (upstairs)

i run mine as i need it, but when it is really cold, i have a hard time lighting it. (i'm 99% sure it's the fuel nozzle, if i just take it out and warm up the nozzle, it starts fine)

this heater does a great job of keeping my garage warm, but i use a propane torpedo heater to take the chill off when it's really cold. like said before it's not designed to bring the room tempurature up from freezing.

here's mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9363.JPG (55.3 KB, 88 views)
3/4tonYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #13
kamkuda

Would this be a decent addition to get the heat up first and use the furnance to keep it there for a while?
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=45&id=25
Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
kbs2244

IMO, no.
Those things are noisy, dump huge amounts of moisture into the air, and have the danger of an eposed flame in a garage type space.
While Franz is right about a furnance not being designed to take a room from cold to warm, but to maintain warm, they will still do it.
And with a lot more safety then something like that.
Just use what you have. It will work just fine. Don't over engineer it.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #15
Red Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamkuda View Post
Would this be a decent addition to get the heat up first and use the furnance to keep it there for a while?
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=45&id=25
IMHO I would say no on that if you want quick heat http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=47&id=34 I use the larger version to get it up to temp and I run a propane furnace out of a moble home

My friend has a oil furnace in his shop he put the tank inside near the garage door so the oil would be above freezing

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson

Last edited by Red Green; 12-05-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #16
kamkuda

Wink Re: Forced Air Furnace, in Pole barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
Just use what you have. It will work just fine. Don't over engineer it.
FYI I did use what I had and it does heat surprisingly fast. Thanks
From what I understand, it is a decent quality furnance and that may help with the quick heating. It sure helps in these cold Canadian winters.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Tom2

As far as the furnace taking long to heat the space..That depends on too many things we dont know. The BTU of the furnace, insulation, size of space, ceiling height, outside temp, etc, etc..If the furnace is large enough, it might not be a big deal.
My 100,000 btu furnace will bring up my home temp in a matter of minutes.

Oil heat puts out the mose btu per gallon (versus propane, NG).
But like mentioned, they require a little more maintenance. But nothing a mechanically inclined person cant handle.
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #18
limeranger

Since you already have the furnace I would try it. If it's not enough then look at something else. I'm in the process of hooking up my own forced air oil furnace now. I put the tank outside and the filter inside to allow it to warm up a little of the oil, I changed the filter and did'nt find it too messy,just place my drain pan under it and kept some rags handy. The short term smell is'nt that bad and it is a garage afterall, I'll be doing lots of other smelly things like cutting and welding so why worry about it, try not cutting and welding immediately after though.
limeranger is offline   Reply With Quote