Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Swan

Default HF motorcycle lift 91764 discontinued

Just a heads up for anyone considering buying a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift (1000 lb hydraulic lift # 91764 $499, $299 w/coupon), it is discontinued and no longer on their website.

I was considering buying (and modifying) one but wanted to look at it first. I called my regional store for they told me it is discontinued and has been replaced by #68892 which appears on their website for $599 and they would NOT honor the $299 coupon for the old SKU 91764. They also told me they do not know of a coupon for this new lift yet and I asked what was different and they said " they finish might be a brighter color red". I asked if the wheel chock was different and they did not know. The 91764 wheel chock is junk and is universally panned in every review I have read on this lift. They also told me to check back next week to see if there is a coupon floating around.

I do not buy or use HF tools, but am considering this lift and would make improvements (new jack, wheel chock, better hardware, casters etc.) to use on my classic British bikes. I'll be traveling tomorrow and will stop in at HF and check out this new lift and report back. I am also looking a Titan and Black Widow lifts, which are more expensive but may be worth it in the long run.

Last edited by Swan; 11-25-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Swan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Toolhorder

Default Re: HF motorcycle lift 91764 discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Just a heads up for anyone considering buying a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift (1000 lb hydraulic lift # 91764 $499, $299 w/coupon), it is discontinued and no longer on their website.

I was considering buying (and modifying) one but wanted to look at it first. I called my regional store for they told me it is discontinued and has been replaced by #68892 which appears on their website for $599 and they would NOT honor the $299 coupon for the old SKU 91764. They also told me they do not know of a coupon for this new lift yet and I asked what was different and they said " they finish might be a brighter color red". I asked if the wheel chock was different and they did not know. The 91764 wheel chock is junk and is universally panned in every review I have read on this lift. They also told me to check back next week to see if there is a coupon floating around.

I do not buy or use HF tools, but am considering this lift and would make improvements (new jack, wheel chock, better hardware, casters etc.) to use on my classic British bikes. I'll be traveling tomorrow and will stop in at HF and check out this new lift and report back. I am also looking a Titan and Black Widow lifts, which are more expensive but may be worth it in the long run.
You can get real motorcycle lifts for around $800-1200 and I see them all the time on CL for less than HF sells them for.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Swan

No motorcycle lifts worth buying on CL within 200 miles of me in the last two months...
Old 11-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
section8joe

It would be sweet if they replaced the shitty wheel chock with one that actually works.
section8joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
cablebandit

You can replace the wheel chock with the clamp from the air/hydro model. It.s modeled after the clamp on a handy lift and works well.
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
section8joe

Any chance you can post a link to the air/hydro model? I can't seem to find it on their site.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Punkinhead

I'm no fan of HF and generally avoid them - they cheapen and screw up the simplest of things. Having said that, I have one of those lifts and I wish I'd have bought it years ago. I replaced the wheel chock. I also sprayed a strip of bed liner down the center so it wouldn't be slippery. In it's down position it's low enough that I can park my truck over it, so it doesn't take up any space in the garage.

It might be nice to have a model that takes side wings so I could lift my riding lawn mower (or 4-wheelers if you have them), but not important enough that I'd pay double for one. The lawn mower doesn't get as much maintenance as the 6 bikes.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
shoot summ

I've got the HF lift, my '41 Indian sits on it, works great and for the $240(got to use a 20% on the sale price 6 years ago) I paid for it was a bargain. The wheel chock works fine on my bike as it is on the center stand.
shoot summ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Michiganskibum

I've had that HF lift for almost a year. Worth every dollar I paid for it. I use it for everything from wrenching to cleaning and polishing. When the hydraulics fail I'll replace them with something better but the lift itself is sufficient for what I need. I did change the wheel chock for something that was more user friendly.

BTW I use mine for getting other portable equipment up off the floor to work on. Generators, welders, power washers, mowers etc. all are much nicer to work on at waist height instead of on the floor.
Michiganskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
section8joe

Has anyone seen the updated lift? I'd want to buy the older lift if I can get it for $299 but Ill be pissed if the new lift has a way better wheel chock.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Swan

I went to harbor Freight in Rochester, MN last night and they do not have any motorcycle table lifts in stock. The floor model was a customer return of the older (now discontinued 91764) without a jack and they will not sell it. An employee told again the new lift # 68892 may have slight upgrades and a variation of the red finish, but he did not know if the wheel vise was different and they did not have one in stock to examine.

I also asked about the old $299 coupon and they were optimistic it would work for the new model, so I took a raincheck and they will call me when it arrives. Once it does, I'll look at it and report back.

I am still researching and comparing other motorcycle lifts.

Last edited by Swan; 11-28-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
section8joe

I called my harbor freight today and they have one in stock. They said the coupon will not work with the new lift. I have the lift on hold. Going to pick it up after work.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
tdkkart

Some of the best money I've ever spent...........
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Di...lash-tpxlt.htm

Disclaimer: What I say is based on my knowledge and experience only. It's entirely possible I'm full of shit. You've been warned!!
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
Punkinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
Some of the best money I've ever spent...........
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Di...lash-tpxlt.htm
That looks like a nice solid lift. I wonder why they didn't add a removable panel so the rear tire could be easily removed? Not necessary on something like a dirt bike with high fender clearance, but on most street bikes you'd need to jack up the rear end a fair ways to slide the tire out.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
racer1735

I bought the HF 1000# lift last year at Christmas. Like many, wondered why I didn't do it 10 years sooner. First thing I did, which is my normal protocol with any HF device, was to replace all critical fasteners with some decent nuts, bolts and washers. Then drilled some holes and bolted up the HF Condor-knock-off wheel chock. It holds my ST1300 or anything smaller with ease. Makes working on the bike so much more easier the next day! Nothing wrong with it. I'd call around and find a store that still has some in stock...Amarillo, Texas does.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
TxPowderCoater

I have the older HF lift as well, bought 4 years ago w/ coupon and like everybody else, Its awesome and I use it daily for HD sportsters, even street glides no worries. I did make better tie down spots, and I still use the crappy chock, crappy, but works.
TxPowderCoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
section8joe

I bought the lift today and they ended up selling me the newer model for $299. Here's link the a thread I started about the lift.
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...06#post1902706
Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
Swan

Section8joe,
Thanks for the link and photos. It looks like the same lift and am glad they will honor the old coupon.