Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
gofastoldguy

Default Best way to clean epoxy floors

I've tried cleaning (mopping) my epoxy floor but have not been able to eliminate the mop streaks after it dries. I've used different detergents, vinegar, etc but no difference. I always rinse mop with clear water but still the same results. Any suggestions people?
gofastoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Edger

Default Re: Best way to clean epoxy floors

Just wondering if it is discoloration of the epoxy. Does it rub off completely with a dry rag?

I also have had experience with similar problems cleaning vehicle paint and found that some detergents used in pressure washers have special ingredients to remove a fine layer of clay dust. The clay dust bonds electrically to the paint and causes it to look dull after cleaning. With the special ingredient (no idea what it was or is) the car finishes very clean. However, hand wiping with a cloth would remove it.
Edger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
DavidSmith

Please tell me,

What is a epoxy floors?
DavidSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
DavidSmith

Epoxy is generally used to cover large cement surfaces. These floors are very durable, resistant even to chemical spillage. The epoxy coating generally makes floors easy to clean because most stains and debris won't stick to these floors. Regularly cleaning your epoxy floor will increase its longevity.
DavidSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
LegacyIndustrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastoldguy View Post
I've tried cleaning (mopping) my epoxy floor but have not been able to eliminate the mop streaks after it dries. I've used different detergents, vinegar, etc but no difference. I always rinse mop with clear water but still the same results. Any suggestions people?
FLoor wax after cleaning may help.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
22velocity

My epoxy floor has been down for 24 years, I have found using a mix of Super Clean degreaser about a cup to 3 gallons of warm water. I have a 3 car garage, I use a long handled scrub brush,then rinse with clear water. I try to plan to clean the floor on a low humidity day because the floor will dry faster. I almost forgot, I use a long handled squeegee to push the excess water out of the garage. Frank
22velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
porphyre
Banned

I basically do the same as 22.

I sweep the leaves, sand, etc up, then spot treat extra dirty areas with Dawn dish soap.
I then spray everything down lightly with the hose.
Next, I use a deck brush to scrub off the dirt and agitate the soapy areas.
Next is washing everything out with the hose.
I use an 18" squeegee to push the excess water out.
Depending on how much Dawn I used, I may need to rinse and squeegee again.

For in-between cleanings, I've got my wife's old Swifter Wet-Jet. Works like a charm for small oil spills and times I need to clean up something but don't want to wash the entire floor.

I'd never use a mop. In fact, I've found the squeegee works better than a push broom for small dirt. Specifically, saw dust. Epoxy sealed floors are great!
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
cobraman

Understand your experience and with our black floors. Streaks and water spots really show. After a good cleaning with Dawn and a good rinse, we use a car wash with wax and squeegee that off. Leave our floors nice and shiny.

Cheers,
Rik

"Drive a Street Legal NASCAR"
cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Davd_Pa

there is a squeegy head type part that has a brush on one side and a squeegy/rubber covering on the other side. i bought mine at griots years ago.
Davd_Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
buzz4041

I have one of them swifter units with a detergent sprayer and it works pretty good for just light duty cleaning. I will do brush and soap in bad areas first.
buzz4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

My Stonhard epoxy floor is 11 years old now and it has seen LOTS of work, chemicals and paint. So much so that it's stained in places. Since the "new" has been gone off it for years now, I use Purple power or Super clean with water and an old electric floor polisher with scotchbrite pads. There is very little shine left to this floor but it sure gets good and clean. I would never have a garage without an epoxy finish on the floor. The ease of cleaning and lack of dust is great.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
vrog

I recommend using a white bristle brush. White is usually the softest. Anything to stiff when used on a floor machine could damage the floor. using a pad will dull the floor.
vrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
SICK BAGGER

First post by the way been lurking for sometime so here goes. What I do is mop the floor clean normally then I take my janitors 36" mop and with a solution of water and windex can be as little as 10% windex but I always use a little more get a spray bottle spray and spray and mop your way out look back and you will see no streaks! Also works great on the hardwood floors in the house.
SICK BAGGER is offline   Reply With Quote