Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Lloydthumper

Default Did it cost you to hook electricity up to your garage.

I got the final inspection on my garage a few weeks ago I was waiting on getting my big doors up before I cut the power on. I have my doors now but I don't have them up yet. But anyway I called the power company and asked them about hooking up my power. I have wired my house and two other houses that I own and the power company had no charge for running the service. and this was one of the main reasons for me running a seperate service because at almost 400ft of wire from my house to the garage I figuared if they would do it for free I would go ahead and run a 200amp service instead of a 100amp from my house. I figuared it would cost me roughly $700 in wire and renting a trencher etc if I ran if from my house doing it myself. So I called them and they told me they would have to send an engineer out to look at routing it etc. From my garage to the poll was only 100 ft but they were going to have to change the transformer out on the main road because of that would push it over the limit. But when the engineer was here he told me he would calcualate it and give me a call and tell me the cost I said what cost? He told me that alot of people that get garages don't keep the power on and they don't use alot of power so they usually don't get there cost back for running the service. Well he called me back today and it is going to be $495 to run it. which is still cheaper than me running it but that sucks just make me sign a contract or something. I was just wondering if this is the way it is done else where? Lloyd
Lloydthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
markb1

Default Re: Did it cost you to hook electricity up to your garage.

Here in southern oregon a lot of times you can't get a seperate service for a well or garage because of low power usage. I'd say $495.00 is a bargain.
markb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
OldCarGuy

The $495.00 is a great bargain. Iím sure my utility company would change twice that and make you sign an agreement to use their power for the next ten years.

You may want to check if the second meter on your property will be considered commercial and be billed with a ridiculous minimum per month and a higher use rate. Then you may reconsider having two meters. And might consider installing a remote 400 Amp service halfway between the house and garage. Feeding a 200 Amp in the house and one in the garage.

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
VDubJoe

Im on a co-op and i had an eng come out. She was more interesred in my garage. She had them put up my own trans station and ran 75 feet for the ug service. I pay same as a res mtr.

Joe
VDubJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Northstar9126

$495 to run the service 400 feet would be the deal of the century for me. I had my service upgraded this summer, involved changing transformer on power pole, new boxes on pole and running just under 400 feet of wire to carry 200 Amp service to my pole building. Even doing all of the digging myself I have about $2000 into it.
Northstar9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
JDMopar

The power company figures what the charge will be based on their construction cost to serve you versus revenue credits over X number of years. If the revenue credits are more than construction costs,you get no charge. If they are less,you pay the difference. You got out fairly cheap. I'm putting a 400 amp meter base on my house and running a 200 amp service to the my new garage. I'm doing it that way because I didn't want to pay a minimum monthly charge for another meter that won't get a huge amount of usage.
JDMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Lloydthumper

For them to run the service was only 100ft including up the pole for me to run it from my house it would have been almost 400ft. I know That is a deal I figuare the wire is costing them $300 for 100ft not including installing it. I am not fussing about the amount I just had it in my head it would be free and now it's not that cut into my drywall /insulation money. LOL that might have to wait for a while I don't really feel like puting up any insulation and almost 90 sheets of sheet rock right now anyway.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
Charles (in GA)

I paid Georgia Power $170 in 2001. Meter is residential rate. Engineer told me it had to be commercial rate, woman in the business office said he was crazy and didn't know what he was talking about, and set it up residential. I encountered several other things the engineer didn't know that he should have, so I suppose she was right.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Franz©
Banned

Welcome to the wonderful post Montana Power model world in the PoCo business.

Try dealing with a formerly investor owned company that sold its generators to another company, and is now in the power transportation business.

Oh sure, our meter socket is the same socket you have mounted, but ours has a little rubber stamp inside the box and costs $200- more.
Oh really, our tarrif says that? How would I know, I really work in a boiler room of a phone answering service in Michigan and if it don't show on my screne it don't exist.
Really, if you go to the local office, please don't say you called or mention my name.
You have reached an automated system. If your power is off punch 5 and enter your phone number. It won't do much good but we don't have to pay an employee to listen to you complain. If you annoy us the Hal 9000 will lower your standing in the que for restoration. You really are dumb if you think we really have a que. Punch 6 if you really work for a TV station and can make us look bad on the News at 6.

Hey, we are really owned by a company in Spain, we don't have to care.
Franz© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
dmitch1212

For $495 do it and don't look back. In Wisconsin, I just had new underground service run for a pole barn. 400 ft. from the road and it cost me $2900. If I had it done after 11/15, it would have been an extra $1.50 per foot due to "winter conditions". They really have you by the short & curley ones....
dmitch1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
Lloydthumper

I am going to do it I really don't have to much choice it is hard to run a welder and a plasma cutter and a compressor off of a 110v drop cord. LOL Of course for $2900 like dmitch1212 had to pay I might have to live with the drop cord for a while.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
RPH

In Michigan it was quoted for transformer $1800.00. I bring service to pole or they can do it for the same $1800.00 for the transformer plus $10.00 per foot for the wire. I have about 450 feet to the barn. What a bargain.
RPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
yard_dawg

just had my 100 foot ran. cost me a totla of 350.00 bucks. not bad i thought fro them digging and running the wire also. i have a seperate meter for my shop also.
yard_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
snorvet

In 2001, I had Comed run 50' from my transformer to the meter on my detached garage - cost me $711
snorvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #15
Blown71X

WOW I guess i should feel lucky from reading this

I had very few options for getting power back to my shop due to layout of my property, Had to cross my only neighbor`s horse pasture, I really wanted it all under ground but neighbor really didn`t, He had no issue with overhead and I can understand.
Utility company set a service poll at the very back of my property, supplied the triplex between the polls (800`ish feet), the conduit to go down the poll and the URD (90 feet) to my shop ( i did dig the trench) and their meter base which they required, I did have to drive to indy to pick it up, delivered the meter, plugged it in and checked the cell(rf) interface...Cost?.....ZERO.

Rick
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
boiler7904

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvet View Post
In 2001, I had Comed run 50' from my transformer to the meter on my detached garage - cost me $711
I'm surprised Communist Edison was that cheap.

I know that in dealing with them on commercial projects, their fees can get outrageous. We had a project where the engineering deposit was going to be $3000 to see if it was even possible to get three phase run less than two blocks from another site owned by the same owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #17
utah997

Get your pen. Write the check. Hug him.

I spent in excess of $10,000 to get power to my garage. And that dosen't include the many thousands to repair my yard after the trenching.
utah997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #18
Lloydthumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah997 View Post
Get your pen. Write the check. Hug him.

I spent in excess of $10,000 to get power to my garage. And that dosen't include the many thousands to repair my yard after the trenching.
LOL Well I want in on what you do for a living and can I do it to because if they told me It was going to cost $10,000 to get power to my garage I would just have to work on my cars with a flashlight.
I don't have but $16,000 in my garage to this point. well $16,500 after the power hook up
Old 11-16-2007, 06:12 AM   #19
snorvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler7904 View Post
I'm surprised Communist Edison was that cheap.

I know that in dealing with them on commercial projects, their fees can get outrageous. We had a project where the engineering deposit was going to be $3000 to see if it was even possible to get three phase run less than two blocks from another site owned by the same owner.
I didnt think the $711 was that bad until I saw some of the charges on this thread. I could believe the $3000 for a new commercial site.
snorvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #20
boiler7904

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvet View Post
I didnt think the $711 was that bad until I saw some of the charges on this thread. I could believe the $3000 for a new commercial site.
Actually, $3000 is just a deposit. No one (including ComEd) is sure what the total bill will be - and this is just an engineering feasability study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote