Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
bw77

Default USPS exam for auto mechanic

The local post office has an opening for an automotive technician.
The tests to be taken are 943 and 944 and 941 bench test.
I cannot find any practice tests on the web for these.

Anyone out there have experience with these tests?
bw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Toolhorder

Default Re: USPS exam for auto mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw77 View Post
The local post office has an opening for an automotive technician.
The tests to be taken are 943 and 944 and 941 bench test.
I cannot find any practice tests on the web for these.

Anyone out there have experience with these tests?
If it's anything like how they run their operation don't expect much.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

you won't qualify
gotta know people ........from my experience ............but maybe the USPS is different
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Skysurfer

Can't help with the tech exam but when I took the letter carrier exam the minimum score to be hired was 70 and they added 10 points for being a veteran. I scored a 94 but several people scored in the 90's and had the veteran points as well. They said they wouldn't consider anyone from the applicant group with less than 103 points.
Skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Octarine

I took the letter carrier test years ago and scored 100. No bonus points, I got a perfect score on the test. I went with my friends' dad who was a vietnam vet. He scored IIRC an 81 or 82. They hired him and spent twenty years dealing with his psych and physical problems. I figure he worked a total of maybe 7-8 years out of 20.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
mrholeshot

I took those test and asked the wide eyed guy. "Can my invisible friend come in and sit with me"". He said "Yes but he will have to sit in the corner and I will have to keep an eye on him"

J/K
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
usafmora

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrholeshot View Post
I took those test and asked the wide eyed guy. "Can my invisible friend come in and sit with me"". He said "Yes but he will have to sit in the corner and I will have to keep an eye on him"

J/K
usafmora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
BigAl62

I worked on postal vehicles and never took a test. Small town post offices subcontract out their repairs and my former employer was a subcontractor. No help for you except that on their small vehicles you'll be doing a lot of maintenance service, tons of turn signal and ignition switches (driving on the right side is weird at first). Their small trucks are Chevy 2WD S10 Blazer and 2WD Explorer chassis (with 4 cylinder engines).
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Northstar

My dealership is doing a lot of work on thier vehicles right now (the entire Minneapolis fleet). We are doing front hubs (curb bumping) and some other minor things on the Venture van ones. The jeep things are getting new frames up here, so we're doing frame swaps on them. Like posted, based on s-10s. They supply all the parts short of nuts and bolts, including bringing flatbed loads of frames over. Everything comes to them from AM General, but if we're in a pinch for a bushing or something, we'll use GM.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
tolly4503

I went and took the tests for the mechanic job. First it was a answering a series of questions, then they handed you the distributer and you had a certain amount of time to get it running. Next test was taking apart the rear brakes and putting them back together, and there was one test with some kind of dianostic computer, but I can't remeber it was a couple years ago. This was all on the little trucks, which are based off older S-10's.
tolly4503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
mrholeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly4503 View Post
I went and took the tests for the mechanic job. First it was a answering a series of questions, then they handed you the distributer and you had a certain amount of time to get it running. Next test was taking apart the rear brakes and putting them back together, and there was one test with some kind of dianostic computer, but I can't remeber it was a couple years ago. This was all on the little trucks, which are based off older S-10's.
Cool concept. I wish I thought about that when I had my shop. Lets see how fast you can knock out those three brakes jobs, the head gasket on that Toyota and the alignment on that Tahoe and I'll call you and let you know, lol
Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
justdoit

The test to take for auto mechanic are the 943 & 941 bench test. If you make it past the 943 exam (which is not that hard if you have knowledge of brakes, trans, and power distribution) then you take the 941 bench test. The 941 will get you if you dont have the hands on experience (it's mean), it consist of brakes (front & rear), power distribution and testing these systems, taking out the distr & setting timing, and electronic troubleshooting. All in that order, hope this help someone. Aw yeah, and these test are timed. 20 - 30 min interval. GOOD LUCK
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Zephyr

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.
Just finished mine and I did front breaks (disc), rear brakes (drum), battery load, starter draw, alternator output, remove/install the distributor and set timing after the engine has been cranked over. The last test for me was finding an electrical fault. One of the current techs told me to make sure to use the tech manual which I did. You get from 5-10 minutes to pick the tools you will need and review the tech manual for specs and procedures. Hope this of some help to others

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Murphy4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Just finished mine and I did front breaks (disc), rear brakes (drum), battery load, starter draw, alternator output, remove/install the distributor and set timing after the engine has been cranked over. The last test for me was finding an electrical fault. One of the current techs told me to make sure to use the tech manual which I did. You get from 5-10 minutes to pick the tools you will need and review the tech manual for specs and procedures. Hope this of some help to others

You mean to say you have to grab all the tools you think you might need before you can start working on the vehicle? You can't go back to your toolbox after that? Nuts on that, I'll just roll my whole toolbox over. You don't know what you'll need until you eyeball it and start digging into it. I always end up with way more tools in a pile at the end of a job than what I grab initially at the beginning.
Murphy4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
jd_1138

Quote:
You get from 5-10 minutes to pick the tools you will need and review the tech manual for specs and procedures. Hope this of some help to others
That's the gov't for you -- hiring whoever's lucky enough to have grabbed the right tools ahead of time instead of the best person for the job.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
nissan_crawler

If somebody told me that, I would pick a hacksaw and sledgehammer. If you want to be stupid, I can play along.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #17
01ssreda4
Banned

Sounds dumb.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
Zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy4570 View Post
You mean to say you have to grab all the tools you think you might need before you can start working on the vehicle? You can't go back to your toolbox after that? Nuts on that, I'll just roll my whole toolbox over. You don't know what you'll need until you eyeball it and start digging into it. I always end up with way more tools in a pile at the end of a job than what I grab initially at the beginning.
No not at all you can go back to the tool box all you want. Its just time so you can gather specs and other information beforehand so you don't spend your "test" time scouring through the book or box for the right tool.

Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #19
MrPhatKatt

USPS normally does not provide study materials, but a current postal mechanic if you study an ASE materials is as close as possible.
MrPhatKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
Thingamajig

Quote:

What vehicle were you working on during the exam? Was it the GM S-10, and what engine did it have? Was the manual OEM or aftermarket like a Haynes manual?

Last edited by Thingamajig; 01-24-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Thingamajig is offline   Reply With Quote