Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Red Leader

Default Looking for advice on Made in USA tools (miter saw, axe, etc)

Hey guys!

My knowledge is pretty limited to older tools, so I think I need some guidance on the newer stuff.

I'm going to be looking for a miter saw at some point soon. Do you guys happen to know of any compound miter saws made in USA? (used is fine).

Also, I put an axe on my wish list...is there a known brand that anyone would recommend? I'd like to think that there is still some down-home US company that makes axes, but my knowledge doesn't extend that far

Any help or insight is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
american lockpicker
Banned

Default Re: Looking for advice on Made in USA tools (miter saw, axe, etc)

http://www.garrettwade.com/usa-made-...es/p/91P06.04/

Backordered though.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
TreePointer

Things change so rapidly, but I think Council Tool and Estwing axes are still USA made.

It seems that Snow and Nealley has shifted at least some part of production offshore.
TreePointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
pipsters

Home Depot sells Estwing axes

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ga...&storeId=10051

$40 for that one, seems like a decent deal. I have their leather wrapped hatchet, it's excellent. I like that the entire piece is forged, not a separate head and handle. Overall just an excellent quality piece of equipment.
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
HandyManny

According to Vaughan they make double bit axes and Michigan pattern single bit axes. However I have never ever been able to find a retailer who sells their USA made axes. Pretty much axes as they were originally intended to be used sort of lost their true purpose with the advent of the two man whip saws and later with the advent of the chainsaw. But a good one is still valuable to have. You just never know when civilization will break down and we have to revere to using hand tools as primary.

As far as the other tools go.....you are about 20 years too late. Your best will likely be finding something used but well cared for if you want USA made stuff like that.

As far as axes go too I found the Mexican made Collins axes sold at places like Ace tend to be pretty good. Someone making those for Collins seems to know what they are doing, at least they did as of a couple years ago.
HandyManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
jsackin

So, I'm a little biased here, but Barco is a US company that still makes axes, pry bars and hammers right here in this country. We sell their Kelly axes which seems to be the most popular:

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Axe...s/1001500.html

although their fire axe looks pretty awesome:

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Axe...s/1001000.html

Estwing makes a scout axe and a long handled axe but they have the metal handles, as opposed to the traditional wood.

I've never seen Vaughn's axe's but I'm sure they are real nice quality to.

Jori
jsackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
MastoidPress

However I have never ever been able to find a retailer who sells their USA made axes.

Vaughan recently re-did their website so now you can order it directly from them. The days of trying to listen to a Sears sales guy mumble to me why they can't order a 16oz are OVER!! They can kiss my ass!

As far as miter saws go, I would reccomend Kalamazoo Industries, but I think they just make the standard type.
MastoidPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
HandyManny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastoidPress View Post
However I have never ever been able to find a retailer who sells their USA made axes.

Vaughan recently re-did their website so now you can order it directly from them. The days of trying to listen to a Sears sales guy mumble to me why they can't order a 16oz are OVER!! They can kiss my ass!

As far as miter saws go, I would reccomend Kalamazoo Industries, but I think they just make the standard type.
That's good to hear. Thanks! Haven't been on their website in about a years or more. I'm just amazed at how of all the shops across the country I've been in I have never come across anyone who sells their axes.
HandyManny is offline   Reply With Quote