Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
engnerdan

Default Heater Size

Would a 60,000 BTU (45,000 BTU output) heater be too much for a 24X24 detached garage that has "ok" insulation (R11 foam board on the underside of the rafters (vaulted ceiling) and R13 on 3 walls and a poorly insulated garage door)?

I got a good deal on a dented Hot Dawg (half price) and I jumped on it, from the research I have done it looks like this is going to be slightly more heater then I need but not much. Anybody out there using this size heater in a simular setting.

-Dan

Sex is like pizza. Even if itís bad itís still pretty good.

I OWE, I OWE, SO OFF TO WORK I GO

Last edited by engnerdan; 11-15-2007 at 07:50 PM.
engnerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Dave Carney

Default Re: Heater Size

Thats not too much in Minnesota, particulary if you have it on a thermostat when its on (so you aren't having to turn it on and off manually). I run a 75k Hot Dawg in my 720 square foot attached garage in Kansas. It will just run less often, thats all.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3194

My waterless restroom thread:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30690
Dave Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
mulepackin

I too have a 75,000 btu Hot Dawg, in a 24x32x9 detached in Central Mont. A bit high according to Modines specs, but I haven't regretted it a bit. Mine was also a scratch and dent deal. All cosmetic damage. Just be sure there's no damage to the "working" parts of the unit. Congratualations on the good deal.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
engnerdan

I just got my 60K scratch and dent unit today from www.greenhousemegastore.com, what a deal it looks like someone dropped another heater on the top, or maybe hit it with a fork from a froklift but minor damage, pounded 80% of the damage out in a couple minutes.

I did a test firing on the work bench, and this thing is great, I don't think it will be too much heater at all. Nice warm gentle heat compared to the roar of my old kerosene heater.

I can't wait until the end of the week when I an done installing it and can use it.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
ksp

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
I just got my 60K scratch and dent unit today from www.greenhousemegastore.com, what a deal it looks like someone dropped another heater on the top, or maybe hit it with a fork from a froklift but minor damage, pounded 80% of the damage out in a couple minutes.

I did a test firing on the work bench, and this thing is great, I don't think it will be too much heater at all. Nice warm gentle heat compared to the roar of my old kerosene heater.

I can't wait until the end of the week when I an done installing it and can use it.

How di you locate the scratch and dent item? Do they advertise them? Would like another Hot Dawg as I have one in my main shop but don't want to pay full price for a haeter that will be seldom used.
ksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
RonRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp View Post
How di you locate the scratch and dent item? Do they advertise them? Would like another Hot Dawg as I have one in my main shop but don't want to pay full price for a haeter that will be seldom used.
Try this link

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p....asp?dept=1210

I think it will work. If not follow engnerdan's link then on the left is a Heating Solutions or something to that effect. Then on bottom is Scratch & Dent.
Cheers

Edit, The link works.

Last edited by RonRock; 11-20-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Tested link after posting, it worked.
RonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
engnerdan

Thanks, I didnot have time to post that when I was at work today. Yes that is where I got my heater.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
ksp

Thanks for the link, I must be blind!!!!!!!!!!
I'll check it out.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
ksp

I ordered a 75K propane unit from them today so we shall see how it works out. Hopefully just a little dented. Good price there. Would like to go to a 100K NG unit but shipping was much higher.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
engnerdan

I installed mine tonight, took about 4-5 working hours and its fricken awesome. Clean, warm heat that my wife approves of, she absolutely hated the kerosene heater and was not fond of the sunflower heater, but this has no smell after the first firing.

It also does not seem to go through the propane too quickly. The 60K unit was not too big for my poorly insulated garage, I had it running about once an hour for about 20 minutes at a time and that is with 2 cars in the garage that it has to heat.

I am looking forward to cold winter nights spent in the garage now (I know my wife is not).

Dan

Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
mtcone

Quote:
Would a 60,000 BTU (45,000 BTU output) heater be too much for a 24X24 detached garage that has "ok" insulation (R11 foam board on the underside of the rafters (vaulted ceiling) and R13 on 3 walls and a poorly insulated garage door)?

I got a good deal on a dented Hot Dawg (half price) and I jumped on it, from the research I have done it looks like this is going to be slightly more heater then I need but not much. Anybody out there using this size heater in a simular setting.

-Dan

An easy way to tell what will be required to heat your garage or workshop is a heat load calculator. You just put in the space that you need to fill and some details about the insulation and how warm you want it, and the calculator will tell you which heater would be best for your particular situation. It is a great resource. You may want to check it out.
mtcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #12
megamon

Quote:
Thanks, I didnot have time to post that when I was at work today. Yes that is where I got my heater.
you can see at searspartsdirect.com
megamon is offline   Reply With Quote