Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
MP&C

Default Shop truck transformation starts

Well time to start a thread to document the tranformation of our "shop" project, making this into a car hauler.

I've been collecting parts for getting the cab and chassis ready for a ramp bed, and unfortunate to the truck's heritage, the tandem axles don't work well with a ramp bed (nor do the 8.50:1 gear ratios) So here are some other goodies collected, plans for air ride front and rear, air brakes all around....should stop on a dime!

Recently though, I had been having trouble with the old girl running rough, just falling on it's face. Kinda takes the wind out of your sails as far as project enthusiasm goes. I was leaning toward a fuel pump issue, and when I pulled the inlet line to the fuel pump, the slight trickle was a good indicator of some sediment in the tank behind the seat. As the factory tank size limited your range anyhow, time to upgrade. We (the VP of ATHS and myself) went on a road trip today to RLJackson truck salvage in Port Tobacco MD, and picked up a nice 33 gallon saddle tank version. That should about double the effective capacity/range.

The truck's past history as a fire truck in the mountains of Oregon was evident as some reminders of the old body still remains on the frame, so first order of business is to clean those off .....

Test fitting....

Hope to get it bolted on tomorrow and hooked up for a test run.
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
machine_punk

Default Re: Shop truck transformation starts

That's a great-looking truck! I am looking forward to see how you get all those modern parts on an older frame (something I've been thinking about doing for a while).

"Kev's out of control. Don't put your keys down--he will rivet them to the table." (ozi jim from the Metal Meet Forum)

Going to be teaching riveting at the Cuesta College Metal Meet...bringing you a little of The
Aerodrome Studio--my metalworking studio in a 2-car, attached garage, where I build artistic projects, inspired by aeroplanes.

- my thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=122188
- Blog:
http://TheAerodromeStudio.com/wordpress
machine_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Mmfh

That truck is going to make a great looking car hauler! I'll be watching to see what you do with it.

What's going on with the '55 in the garage?

Mm
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Grazz256

More Please. Thank You.
Grazz256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
JonBoehman

This is going to be an awesome build already. Does it have the flat head or has it been updated with a Y block or something even newer? Keep the progress coming. I would like to build one of these as well for my 56' f100.
JonBoehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
mike13u

Yes, might as well just subscribe now.
We are in for a show here....
mike13u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
2drx4

I subscribed too. I always enjoy these builds.

What's this thing got for an engine and transmission, and will you be retaining that?
2drx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
kbs2244

How did it get from OR to MD?
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Steve in SoCal

Why didn't you just mount the body on another frame? With air brakes you don't need that driveshaft parking brake and, the steering is better on a newer chassis ? It is not a restoration using original parts why use the old frame?

Steve
Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
NASTYZEN

Robert, that is a nice model to be doing something with. Your the man.
Would you believe I torched a few of those into little bits when I was a teenager.....They were used to transport cars in the day. They had reached a zillion miles.
One of them had hundreds and hundreds of beer bottle caps in it lodged all over.
Drinking and driving a rig was fun back then....
"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."
- Dr AR Dykes
NASTYZEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
coldfusion21

Mind sharing some more info on the truck as you got it and perhaps any history you know with regards to the trucks past life? There's lots of great commercial trucking history in Oregon.

Looks like a neat project!
coldfusion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
gauder the goof

I'm jealous.
gauder the goof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
MP&C

Thanks for the comments guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmfh View Post
.......What's going on with the '55 in the garage?
I'm using it to find out exactly how much replacement body parts AREN'T made for the 55 wagon..... Customers car, if I can slow down the trips overseas for work, I hope to finish it this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoehman View Post
Does it have the flat head or has it been updated with a Y block or something even newer?
The 51 Big Job's would have had a flathead, 52 was the first year for the OHV engine. The F7 used a 279 Lincoln Y block (differs from the Ford Y block...) and the F8 used a 317 Lincoln Y block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
Why didn't you just mount the body on another frame? With air brakes you don't need that driveshaft parking brake and, the steering is better on a newer chassis ? It is not a restoration using original parts why use the old frame?
Steve

Nothing wrong with this frame. Three thicknesses, I think it will more than hold anything I need to carry. Plus, most other newer vehicles will have 34" wide frame rails front to back. This thing has a narrow cab, and the frame rails pinch together toward the front accordingly. Not a simple swap. But then, neither is what I have in store...

With the air brakes presently on it, you most certainly DO need a driveshaft parking brake (or an external pkg brake of some kind). We're talking 1952 technology. Once the new rear (with modern air brakes) goes in, the driveshaft parking brake will be scrapped, as yes, the dual air chambers provide for a parking brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244
How did it get from OR to MD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTYZEN View Post
Robert, that is a nice model to be doing something with. Your the man.
Would you believe I torched a few of those into little bits when I was a teenager.....They were used to transport cars in the day. They had reached a zillion miles.
One of them had hundreds and hundreds of beer bottle caps in it lodged all over.
Drinking and driving a rig was fun back then....

I know quite a few people would like to have some parts off of those.... I'm in pretty good shape with mine, absolutely no rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion21 View Post
Mind sharing some more info on the truck as you got it and perhaps any history you know with regards to the trucks past life? There's lots of great commercial trucking history in Oregon.

Looks like a neat project!

Was originally built about 1953 or so into a firetruck for Idanha Rural Fire Protection District. I've got the original registration card showing that, and it was the only time it was resistered. I think they are up NW of Bend, in the mountains. I was looking for a cabover at the time I saw this, happened to be looking at an ebay ad for a pickup truck, and this truck was in the background of one of the last pictures. Emailed for more info, finally got ahold of the guy a week or so later (non-email owner, his buddy listed it for him) I had seen quite a few closer to me that all had the typical rust in door bottoms, cab corners, fenders, etc. This one has none of those issues, probably the only reason I didn't pass it up.

Now for today's update, I did wind up moving the tank up a bit more, the top of the brackets are 3" above the frame. The frame on this is three thicknesses from the front cab mount back, and as the outer one was installed circa 1953 when the fire truck conversion was done, they aren't tempered. Even though the 18v Milwaukee was going through 3/4" or so, it was rather easy drilling.

Drained the old tank and thought I'd use some paint strainers to keep from having the fuel flow issues with this tank. I think we may have found the problem...

Got the old tank drained and removed, it will be a good time to vacuum out all the crevices back there behind the seat to keep the lower cab corners rust free.... Here it is after the test run (and fuel fill up)

One item crossed off the list, next will be to get started on the rear(s) swap.

Last edited by MP&C; 12-03-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Steve in SoCal

I was referring to the modern maxi cans, are you familiar with ping tanks? You may want to add one to the rear axle airbags. Looks like a fun project.

I have been wanting to do an Advanced Design COE on a modern chassis for quite a while. My future shop in Kansas will allow me the room to do it.

Steve
Old 12-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
MP&C

Maxi Can? New one on me. I am removing the two existing air tanks, there are two larger ones going on that are off of a school bus that had f&r air ride..
Old 12-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
jam92102

Subscribed. This is awesome. Good luck on the project. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Steve in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Maxi Can? New one on me. I am removing the two existing air tanks, there are two larger ones going on that are off of a school bus that had f&r air ride..
Maxi cans are a colloquially like calling jeans Levi's. They are dual chamber air brakes with a spring parking brake. Do you have a dryer and wet tank on the truck? You may want to look at a current air braked truck to see what they have.

Steve
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
bad_idea

cool truck.
bad_idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
98TJ

Man, this is going to be cool.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #20
VairKing

This is awesome, I can't wait to see more! For inspirational purposes I will post pictures of my "heavy hauler" Its a 1986 Ford C8000 that was a functioning firetruck when I bought it. I have big plans of building a ramp bed for it with camper living quarters in the wedge, but time is a valuable thing around here so it has a non-tilting flat bed right now. Hopefully in the next year or two I can get the wedge built, which will allow me to re title it as an RV instead of a "non-commercial truck" which will save me thousands in insurance. It has a 3208 Turbo Cat diesel V8, Allison automatic, air brake, 3.73 Rear end and gets about 12 mpg cruising 65 mph with 3 cars in tow. Enough jabber heres the pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iowa1.jpg (112.7 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg iowa2.jpg (108.6 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg P1000193.JPG (121.4 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg P1000371.jpg (121.6 KB, 794 views)
VairKing is offline   Reply With Quote