Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
BFBOB

Default Snap-On Ferret F-70N history lesson needed

I have a Snap-On Ferret F-70N 3/8 ratchet, and it has such an intrigueing name I'm curious about exactly what I've got. I've been able so far to ascertain it was made between 1937 and 1946, and that's about it. In looking at pictures and reading descriptions it seems there are several variations: Reverse lever may be screwed or peened, May or may not have patent and COO stampings, may have concealed or visible bushing, Phillips or slotted screws, and may have a date code between the "off" and "on" which indicates the last digit of the year of manufacture.

I have found nothing aout WHEN these variations were made, except for the date code, and I have that from only one source.

To complicate matters, many of these characteristics can change at rebuild time!

So, here are the details of my little wratchet: Reverse lever is peened, there is no Patent or COO stamp, the bushing is visible, the screws are Phillips-fillister head, and the date code is 9 (maybe).

I'm enclosing a couple of pictures because the date code is a bit odd. It appears to be a 9, but a kind of odd one. Turn it upside down, and it really looks more like a capital G. And a picture of the logo, just in case there are subtle clues there.

Thanks for any light all you Tool Gooroos can shed!

Oh, yeah, after a disassembly, cleaning and greasing, it works like new!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2669.jpg (133.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2674.jpg (103.1 KB, 96 views)
BFBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
RKSpeed

Default Re: Snap-On Ferret F-70N history lesson needed

Date code looks like 1939 to me.

I just researched these Ferret ratchets myself, because I was curious why Snap-On would put Ferret on the handle. From what Ive read, Snap-On advertised that their ratchets could "Ferret" out the hard to get to fasteners

Never seen a Snap-On ratchet that had the reverse lever screwed on but maybe I wasnt paying enough attention.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...932#post438432
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
lbgradwell

From the 1939 catalogue:

Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
yasha32

have one similiar except 1\4.... same ferret thing too. kinda cool
yasha32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
I can fix anything

Thats a G 1945
I can fix anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
BFBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSpeed View Post
Date code looks like 1939 to me.

I just researched these Ferret ratchets myself, because I was curious why Snap-On would put Ferret on the handle. From what Ive read, Snap-On advertised that their ratchets could "Ferret" out the hard to get to fasteners

Never seen a Snap-On ratchet that had the reverse lever screwed on but maybe I wasnt paying enough attention.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...932#post438432
There was one that sold recently on evilBay -- showed the screw clearly. Also a post by a GJ member contained a scan of the SO rebuild instructions. It had details for screw vs peened levers. Very instructive.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
BFBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I can fix anything View Post
Thats a G 1945
Why?
"It's not that I don't trust you, William Tell."

Assuming first year (1937) would be "A" , "G" would be 1943. Logically, that is. Can you cite references?

Muddying the waters further, it could be a stylized 6 just as easily, making it the incredibly valuable LAST YEAR Special Edition.

Make me an offer?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
NinetyTwoFifty
Banned

NinetyTwoFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
lbgradwell

I think it's a 1939.

Granted the mark does not look exactly like the chart code, but it looks more like the 1939 than the 1945!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
930dreamer
Super Moderator

I'm curious now, I'll need to check mine.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
snapmom

I have a 1936 F70N ferret. Most of the 36-38 ones had a screw instead of a pin. There is not to much diff. in these over the years. the early ones had brass selector switches. Not much diff in price, some collectors just want the one with the screw in the switch.
The 37 date on the collecting site, its from the cats, but they were made starting in 36
Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
RKSpeed

snapmom youre the resident expert it seems. Is it a G or a 9? Seems to be a bad/in-complete stamping either way. Im sorta leaning towards G now, but upside down?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
snapmom

It looks more like a G, a 39 has a flat side on the 9.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #14
BFBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyTwoFifty View Post
Well, thanks for effin' nothin'

Examined carefully with an 8X loupe, my ratchet's marks most closely resemble --- none of the above!!!

What it really looks like arrrrrrgggh.

Is a capital G. The outer line is a circle, not a diamond, octogon or hexagon. So it must be '39 or '40. Only it doesn't have the vertical cutoff of the '39, and the horizontal bar doesn't continue all the way across as in the '39 and '40.!
In fact, in all the glyphs that have a horizontal bar, the only one that doesn't go across the full width is for 2027, and I kinda doubt that's it, since it isn't made of stainless, and doesn't have any flux capacitors.

You'd have to hold it upside down to make it look like a G, and even then, it doesn't look at all like Snap-On's G! So, I think I'll declare it a 1939.

Anyone want to debate or request more photos, I'm game.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #15
I can fix anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBOB View Post
Well, thanks for effin' nothin'

Examined carefully with an 8X loupe, my ratchet's marks most closely resemble --- none of the above!!!

What it really looks like arrrrrrgggh.

Is a capital G. The outer line is a circle, not a diamond, octogon or hexagon. So it must be '39 or '40. Only it doesn't have the vertical cutoff of the '39, and the horizontal bar doesn't continue all the way across as in the '39 and '40.!
In fact, in all the glyphs that have a horizontal bar, the only one that doesn't go across the full width is for 2027, and I kinda doubt that's it, since it isn't made of stainless, and doesn't have any flux capacitors.

You'd have to hold it upside down to make it look like a G, and even then, it doesn't look at all like Snap-On's G! So, I think I'll declare it a 1939.

Anyone want to debate or request more photos, I'm game.
Dude, G , like for real, seriously
Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
BFBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapmom View Post
It looks more like a G, a 39 has a flat side on the 9.

Okay, now I'm leaning more toward '40. Your pictures show quite a difference between the actual object and the "supposed to be" in the date code paper. On mine, the stamping is lighter toward the right side. So, maybe a '40 with the bar disappearing before it reaches the right? BUT, then how would that make the circle disappear on the lower left before it reaches the left end of the bar? It can't be a G; the Snap-On G is much too rectangular. Must be a deformed, defective 9 or theta. Could be '39 or '40.

My brain hurts.

So, the date codes. Do they appear on all SO products, or just ratchets? I only have a few SO sockets, and a quick glance didn't reveal any.

Thanks to all for input!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #17
I can fix anything

Quote:
Okay, now I'm leaning more toward '40. Your pictures show quite a difference between the actual object and the "supposed to be" in the date code paper. On mine, the stamping is lighter toward the right side. So, maybe a '40 with the bar disappearing before it reaches the right? BUT, then how would that make the circle disappear on the lower left before it reaches the left end of the bar? It can't be a G; the Snap-On G is much too rectangular. Must be a deformed, defective 9 or theta. Could be '39 or '40.

My brain hurts.

So, the date codes. Do they appear on all SO products, or just ratchets? I only have a few SO sockets, and a quick glance didn't reveal any.

Thanks to all for input!
Not a 40, here is a 40 with my G Ferret next to it. My G is lightly stamped and my camera sucks. It is upside down like yours. The one on my G 1/2" is sideways.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
BFBOB

Posting one more picture, as close as I can get. Too round to be the SnapOn G for 1946, too round to be the 9 for 1939, but a broken stamp, missing pieces could make it a theta for 1940.

My best guess. Others welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2687.jpg (113.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #19
I can fix anything

Quote:
Posting one more picture, as close as I can get. Too round to be the SnapOn G for 1946, too round to be the 9 for 1939, but a broken stamp, missing pieces could make it a theta for 1940.

My best guess. Others welcome.
so they stamped my 1/2" drive ratchet in the pic with the same broken stamp?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #20
BFBOB

HEY, progress! The mark on you r 1/2" is remarkably similar to mine. But, notice, the overall shape is waaaay wrong to be a G. The G is very rectangular, and our marks are perfectly round. Even the 6 is very narrow compared to the '39 and '40 marks. I think both of ours are '40, but with a defective stamp, missing a little on the crossbar and the lower left circle. A worn stamp couldn't ADD material to turn that slab-sided G into a rounded 9 or theta, nor could it add material to round out the straight part of the outer circle of the 9.
Gotta be 1940.
Too bad; when I learned of the production run of these ratchets, I was hoping it would turn out to be a '38, to match my '38 Ford pickup.