Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
metalmagpie

Default Dewalt 18V batteries - NiMH?

My last NiCAD DC9096 DeWalt battery is on its last legs. I'm considering upgrading my charger and buying their DC9180 Li-Ion batteries. But my buddy who knows everything says nearly all modern cordless drills use nickel metal hydride batteries (NiMH) and I see that aftermarket guys sell those for the DeWalt 18V tools although DeWalt itself does not appear to.

Which way is a better way to go? I hear that in cold weather the Li-Ion batteries not only don't work, but that they can be destroyed. So don't leave them in a truck in winter!

metalmagpie
up in Boeing country
metalmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
brianh

Default Re: Dewalt 18V batteries - NiMH?

I have not had an issue with Li-ion getting froze I work outside year round.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

I have Makita Li and Ridgid Li...they're absolute junk. Won't charge wgen they're too hot, won't charge when they're too cold. Work fine one day and then they're completely shot the next. I have had my Ridgid 18V Li stuff for about 2 years now, Ridgid has replaced the batteries about 3 times and the charger once. Last trip to the service center, they gave me 2 new batteries and a charger. Both batteries failed within 3 weeks. IMHO the Li technology is not quite ready for prime time.
I have not seen NiMH batteries being offered for cordless tools...please advise.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
DHCrocks

dewalt only has nicad or li-ion. of the two the li-ion kicks butt. I have had the li-ion for a couple of years now and they still hold their charge, granted it never gets cold here.

The best thing about the li-ion is that it doesn't self discharge as fast as nicads. I use my tools infrequently, and with nicads after about 2 months the're complely discharged and need to be charged before use. with the li-ion they are always ready to go, no need to charge first.
DHCrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
metalmagpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcianci View Post
I have not seen NiMH batteries being offered for cordless tools...please advise.
Advise you google on 'makita nimh' tons of hits
metalmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
waltinbatonrouge

Have you tried the "rejuvenate the nicad" ideas all over the internet..

Read this first
Dendritic shorting in NICAD batteries
When not used regularly, dendrites tend to develop. Dendrites are thin, conductive crystals that may penetrate the separator membrane between electrodes. This leads to internal short circuits and premature failure, long before the 800–1000 charge/discharge cycle life claimed by most vendors. Sometimes, applying a brief, high-current charging pulse to individual cells can clear these dendrites, but they will typically reform within a few days or even hours. Cells in this state have reached the end of their useful life and should be replaced. Many battery guides, circulating on the Internet and online auctions, promise to restore dead cells using the above principle, but achieve very short-term results at best.

I have tried it on 4..3 came back and work ok in devices requiring low current draws (like flashlights)..not quite the same life, but waaaay more than when i started with them...at first the 4 18V dewalt nicads showed the "replace battery pack" fast flash with less than a volt on each..
3 came back to 21volts

got a voltmeter? wanna try it give it a whirl....

NOT this link...he's selling the procedure below.
http://rejuvenator.prnc.net/

this youtube video with details adnauseum for ones unfamiliar with the process..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYdi48N81U

Last edited by waltinbatonrouge; 12-07-2011 at 09:54 PM.
waltinbatonrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
gatchel

Dewalt Li-ion batteries are good for batteries that may sit for a while between uses. They run strong and die hard usually without warning which can leave you climbing back down a ladder un-necessarily. NiCad batteries give the audible change to help warn you that the charge is low. I have a mix of the two. The nicads self discharge over time and are also affected by the cold and extreme heat. Also, the li-ion's are really expensive. 2 Nicad's are around $100 for 2. Dewalt had an issue with early Li-Ion batts and I had two that were warrantied after about a year. The replacement Li-Ion's are much better.

Last edited by gatchel; 12-07-2011 at 09:54 PM.
gatchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
rsanter

I have the dewalt LI=ON and like them very much

bob
Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
MoonRise

brief summary:

Ni-Cad : 'old-school', heavy, relatively durable, may have 'Ni-Cad memory effect' on partial discharge-recharge, self-discharges

NiMH : newer than Ni-Cad, a bit better power possible than Ni-Cad, no 'memory effect', still heavy, self-discharges (but not as fast as Ni-Cad)

Li-ion : newest of the three battery technologies, relatively light-weight, can have good power possible, requires 'fancy' chargers (most 'new' chargers can do them no problem), if 'abused' (too hot, too cold, over-charged, short-circuited or over-current draw, etc) can fail very badly (vent fire and flame), most 'new' Li-packs have built-in 'protection circuits' that are often responsible for the sudden-OFF behaviour (pack/device works and then just stops with no warning, unlike Ni-Cad or Ni-MH which 'slow down' as they are almost 'empty'), (usually) very little self-discharge

There is no 'one-size-fits-all' battery solution. Pick what works for you.

YMMV.
MoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Falcon67

I'm needing to replace my two Li-on packs for my Craftsman C3 equipment. I've beat the hell out of them for about 3 years, so I guess I got my $$ worth. $90 a pop and I can buy the drill for $40 LOL. They last WAY longer than the NiCads and put out more power IMHO.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
half_full

"rejuvenate the nicad" - - I did this to two 18v dewalt batteries. Purchased the drill/saw kit from CL and was told batteries were bad. Sure enough, wouldn't even charge. Last time I used the drill with drill bit I was able to install two garage doors and the battery was still running strong. I'm sure results would vary based on pre-juvinate battery conditions.
half_full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
shanker

the local Interstate Battery in Corpus here has a service for about 50 bux they'll rebuild the Dewald 18V XRP's with new, higher power, more storage (mAh)...

I have a Li-ON battery in my Dewalt 18V XRP stuff and LOVE IT...its the only reason why I havnt gotten my three old dead batteries rebuild...it re-charges FAST and makes the drill feel stonger than when it was new...however there is no warning as to when you'll be out of juice..it'll run at 100% then just DIE...
shanker is offline   Reply With Quote