Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Silver6.0

Default how do I winterize this outside spigot?

Hi all, new guy here with a small question. I bought my first house this august and I need to winterize this spigot outside my garage. The previous owner said to put 20psi to the schrader valve shown in the pic next to the up pipe. So do I just set my regulator to 20psi hit it and call it good? Do I need to open the handle while waters running out then hit it? I'm not sure what to do but I don't to damage it. Any help is appreciated. Neil

Silver6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
csp

Default Re: how do I winterize this outside spigot?

That's a frost free hydrant, which has the actual shut off at the very bottom of the pipe and it drains itself when the handle is pushed down. It really shouldn't need the 20psi of air unless the drain hole is clogged as a result of a bad installation.

Regardless, apply the 20psi with the handle closed. Hopefully the bottom of it is below the frost line.

More info on how they work: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a...e_hydrant_work
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
stingry

outside hydrants such as this should not need to be winterized. The actual valve is underground below the frostline. everytime the hydrant is closed, the water in the riser should drain out the bottom of the riser pipe thru a stop and waste weephole.

I have no idea what the schrader valve setup is all about.

Cheers
Steve
stingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Spareparts

Never winterized one of them myself, they are called a Bury Hydrant for that reason, the valve it at the bottom of the pipe, should be about 3 + feet down. But if you are still concerned turn the water off at the source and check that valve for a bleed cap on the side of it, open it and then blow it down with the schrader valve.
Spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Lindlandco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver6.0 View Post
Hi all, new guy here with a small question. I bought my first house this august and I need to winterize this spigot outside my garage. The previous owner said to put 20psi to the schrader valve shown in the pic next to the up pipe. So do I just set my regulator to 20psi hit it and call it good? Do I need to open the handle while waters running out then hit it? I'm not sure what to do but I don't to damage it. Any help is appreciated. Neil

Its supposed to self drain into the ground. It has a drain valve at the bottom that lets the water drain back down when you press the handle down to shut it off. That's why you feel the resistance when you turn it off because there is a long rod that opens the drain valve. All the water pressure it at that valve deep in the ground. I'm sure the air chuck is just to be sure all the water is out away from the valve. Never seen this but I live in KY and never think twice about these freezing.
Lindlandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Charles (in GA)

I can guess what the PO did. He connected the Schrader valve to the drain port on the bottom of the faucet, which was totally unnecessary. I set a flat concrete cap block in the bottom of the hole for the faucet to sit on, install it with at least an 18" section of pipe supplying a 90 elbow on the bottom of it, for stability, Install a 90 1/8" brass street ell in the drain hole and pack rock around the base of mine, to allow the drain hole to drain. Since the PO has closed the drain hole off with the pipe and Schrader valve, you really don't have any choice but to do as he suggest, and blow air thru it, as it will not drain on its own now.

NEVER leave a hose attached, this traps water in them and they freeze anyhow. If you must leave a hose attached, install it with a vacuum breaker on the spout.

The PO may had made this UN-orthodox modification to the hydrant because its possible your water table is close to the surface, and may prevent the faucet from draining properly. In the north, the bottom of the hydrant must be below the frost line, which in some places can be six to eight feet. The total height of the hydrant could be as much as ten feet. Here in the south, a four foot total height (two foot under and two foot out of the ground) is way more than sufficient to keep it from freezing and allow it to drain properly.

Another possibility is that the PO did not use one tall enough to reach the frost line, and so it needs to be blown out to keep the bottom from freezing.

Charles

Last edited by Charles (in GA); 12-08-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Silver6.0

Thanks for the fast responses, I know its a frost free design but I don't intend to use it over the winter since I have a hose hook up inside the garage which I know is under the frost line. I'll put 20 psi to it and check it in the spring.
Silver6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Shadowdog500

Out of curiosity I would move those rocks and would dig down to see how he hooked that valve up. I would also call him, if i could, to ask why he did it that way.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
sberry

I seen some new ones rigged that way, I would give it a puff of air, cant hurt, worst thing that could happen is freeze off that old valve. IF that was the case replace with new improved, chances are it worked for the other guy, hasn't froze off?
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
green.bubbly

The crap you northerners have to worry about.

Actually, I just purchased two frost free spigots for my new house. We don't get hard freezes here but when we do, we generally have to let the faucet fast drip. Then the next day you have to remember to turn it back off.

I am older and my memory is not as sharp as it once was so frost free spigots were we go.

My garage and steel home build thread...
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91518
green.bubbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Agent1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by green.bubbly View Post
The crap you northerners have to worry about.
No kidding.
Agent1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Charles last suggestion is what I thought of first. The PO bought too short of a hydrant.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
tbob

I'm thinking that the air is not for the spigot but for blowing out the water supply line if it is not buried below the frost line. Where does the other end of the line start? Is there a shutoff followed by another to open the line for drainage?
Just a thought, Terry
tbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
sberry

It doesn't look like this was put in yesterday, looks like it has already had long service life. Must have been working. Give it a little blast of air, see what happens.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Out of curiosity I would move those rocks and would dig down to see how he hooked that valve up. I would also call him, if i could, to ask why he did it that way.

Chris
That's a lot of digging. Usually the outdoor hydrants are 3'-4' deep. I've never worried about ours even when it was below zero for prolonged periods. It's self draining and always worked in the winter. I've never seen one with a Schrader Valve on it.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
sberry

One of my buds had a new one that was installed by the well driller, it has a valve on it for blow down for some reason,,, not sure why as I didn't pay much attn at the time.