Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
SpeedinLemon

Default 30X40X12 - After Fire Rebuild

I found GJ a few months ago as I was searching online for ideas on how to finish the ceiling of my shop. Boy did I get a lot more than ceiling ideas when I found this place! Thanks to all you guys who take the time to post your ideas and accomplishments and for so many details!
This shop is 30X40X12 and was originally built in 1999. We built an apartment in about 3/4 of the shop and it was home sweet home for about a year and half while our home was built. Over the years since we moved out the living area had been reduced and shop area expanded. At the time of the fire (July 4th, 2011 - not the fireworks we were looking for!), it wasbeing fairly lightly used...storage and a few woodworking projects here and there. Anyway...I've gotten lots of ideas from this site and will try to give back by documenting what I do as I go along. But for now...on to the pics and more explanation to follow......

Last edited by SpeedinLemon; 12-14-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Red "X" instead of pictures showing up
SpeedinLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
ZRX61

Default Re: 30X40X12 - After Fire Rebuild

What was the cause of the fire? Looks like they jumped on it & knocked it down fairly quickly?

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
SpeedinLemon

More fire damage pics. BTW...This fire was started from a pile of rags used in finishing a bench I had made. I'd heard rags could catch on fire, but never really gave it a second thought. Have heard lots of stories since it happened to me though. Make sure your oily, varnish, stain rags are laid out to air out....not piled up together....they really will catch fire!

Last edited by SpeedinLemon; 12-14-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
SpeedinLemon

Pile of varnish/stain rags was the cause. I was able to get a hose on it pretty quick. My wife discovered and her first thought on July 4th was our 8 year old was in there with fire crackers....thankfully not the case. Also the 3 local volunteer fire departments were on scene extremely quickly considering the rural area we're in. I don't know exactly how long it took, but they definitely saved the building!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
SpeedinLemon

More damage pics....

The compressor is toast:

This will get a full refurb. Considered replacing it, but thanks to several members here (Red Leader,TinBender and others) I'm inspired to give it new life:

Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
ZRX61

I'm always wary of oily rags, I take them out of the garage & put them in the BBQ in the back yard on the way to the house.

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
SpeedinLemon

Will post up pics of the current state of clean up and rebuild tomorrow. Always looking for ideas and suggestions. Again thanks to the members who've taken the time to document what they've done and inspire the rest of us!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
SpeedinLemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
I'm always wary of oily rags, I take them out of the garage & put them in the BBQ in the back yard on the way to the house.
Believe me....I am now very wary as well! The BBQ idea is interesting...I guess you burn them? Seems like it would add a funny flavor to your ribeye

I'll definitely be looking for a good, safe way to dispose of them in the future.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
SpeedinLemon

A few more recent pics below. With the extra hot summer we had, progress was slow. And for a relatively small fire, clean up was a mess.

This is standing just inside the walk in door up front. Workbench area is to the left..the Craftsman 150 is patiently awaiting restoration!

View from the opposite side. Rollup door is just to the right and I'm standing where the workbench area will be. The area to the rear will be the hangout area...planning on a fridge, kitchen cabinets a restaurant sink, etc...

The future "hangout" area. About 16' X 20'.

The wood stove will need a little TLC, but survived just fine.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
SpeedinLemon

This area was originally our master bedroom and has spent the last several years as an office. There is a bathroom back there to the right of the woodstove. There will be storage above this area.

Looking back towards the front of the shop.

This area was the original home to our washer/dryer. Planning a 2 bowl stainless free standing sink here. The door to the left was badly damaged, is on the north side of the shop and always leaked. It will go away. The wood to the right is covering up a 3X3 window. It will be replaced with a patio door to the back yard.

View of the back wall. Door goes away and the window will be replaced and double in size.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Red Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedinLemon View Post
More damage pics....

The compressor is toast:

This will get a full refurb. Considered replacing it, but thanks to several members here (Red Leader,TinBender and others) I'm inspired to give it new life:

Good man! Those old Craftsman presses are tough. An EXL deburring wheel (made by 3M) will take care of the exposed metal bits that have rust on them really quick.

Once you refurb the press it will make for a good story

Sounds like nobody was hurt = most important thing

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
SpeedinLemon

Still a little ways to go to get caught up to current:

Looking towards front of the shop...125 Amp service and my current "pile of tools".

The 10X10 main door. The door itself is in decent shape, but all the plastic guides melted. It never sealed well and has no insulation. I've got a guy looking at it give me repair/replace options.

The future work bench area. I had 30+ feet of workbench previously, but rarely had any useable real estate. My plan for the new shop is less workbench area and more storage....getting lots of ideas here.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
SpeedinLemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
Good man! Those old Craftsman presses are tough. An EXL deburring wheel (made by 3M) will take care of the exposed metal bits that have rust on them really quick.

Once you refurb the press it will make for a good story

Sounds like nobody was hurt = most important thing
Thanks for the comments. I've read most of your thread....awesome and very inspiring!! And I'll need to research those EXL wheels. I've seen them mentioned a number of times.

Lost nothing I can't replace or rebuild! Can't ask for a greater blessing than that!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #14
SpeedinLemon

I hired out the new carport area and the modifications to the building for the patio door, larger window and covering over the rear walk door.

This should be a good area to kick back and I will also be able to do projects out there that will create too much dust in the shop.

My Littlest Big Helper...ready to "Work in Daddy's Shop". He likes being out there almost as much as I do!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
SpeedinLemon

One of the many things I picked up reading various threads here is you can never have enough storage. I was planning on four 24 to 36 inch wide cabinets along the back wall of the workbench area. I had an idea to extend the storage loft out over the top of those cabinets. Should give me a little more room up top and keep the tops of the cabinets from becoming cluttered.

And my construction foreman:

More of the "crew":

Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #16
mebedave

I came close to burning down a million dollar spec home I was building back in 2000. I had a big stack of lumber that I was pre-staining and I had a pile of stain soaked used rags right next to the lumber stack. Over night you guessed it Ö The lumber stack went up in flames and almost got the house! Fire dept. did a good job getting the fire out and saving the house. I was real surprised when I showed up on the job the next morning; I was not notified about the fire. Iím a real freak now about oily rags!!!!!
mebedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedinLemon View Post
Believe me....I am now very wary as well! The BBQ idea is interesting...I guess you burn them? Seems like it would add a funny flavor to your ribeye

I'll definitely be looking for a good, safe way to dispose of them in the future.
I just leave them in there until I go to fire up the BBQ, then I throw them all in the trash can

Tool Afflictionardo

Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
redairrdstr

Looks like its going to be a nice shop! Weird question, but I was wondering if you had any before fire pics of how you had the apartment set up. I just got my wife to come around to this idea, so we could save more to put down on building our house, and some pictures may help her envision it a little better. Great work!
redairrdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
Nighttrain

Thanks for posting. Its a good reminder about the rags. Looks like there is no damage to the metal. You may want to try to price a new door at Mullers Metal building.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
SpeedinLemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redairrdstr View Post
Looks like its going to be a nice shop! Weird question, but I was wondering if you had any before fire pics of how you had the apartment set up. I just got my wife to come around to this idea, so we could save more to put down on building our house, and some pictures may help her envision it a little better. Great work!
Thanks! I'll see if I can come up with some pics. We knew we'd be in it a while, so interior pics will look just like any other house/apartment. Had a 14X18 masterbedroom, closet and bath area (the area still enclosed), a 14 X 8 nursery for our first child and a 14X26 living/kitchen/laundry area. It worked out really well for us. It was fairly inexpensive and we probably would have stayed in it a little longer if baby #2 hadn't come along!