Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
chad s

Default Anyone ever used the Snap On Crud Thug?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....&Item_id=76499

Like a wire wheel, but aparrently with the ability to be more agressive (coarse, medium, and fine wheels available), and it wont shoot little pieces of wire into your clothes like a whire wheel will. Also, you can sharpen the wheels on a stone or sand paper.

I know its kind of pricey, but for restoration work like I do, I think this could be reallly good for cleanup work, especialy undercoat and seam sealer removal.

Anyone tried or own one?
chad s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Stanger

Default Re: Anyone ever used the Snap On Crud Thug?

I heard they work great. I think someone else offers a similar tool for less though. I could be wrong on that. I'll check into it.
Grant
Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
chad s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger View Post
I heard they work great. I think someone else offers a similar tool for less though. I could be wrong on that. I'll check into it.
Grant
I'm thinking of picking one up, my snap on guy will give me another 10% off of the sale price too. The website is wrong about the number of wheels it comes with, it actually comes with 5. Replacement wheels are around $11 each, but they are supposed to last a long time.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Deafautotech

my former independent shop had snap on set and i had used it many times. to do remove the sealant off the body without stratch on body with the rubber round... it is work good. the bad news is my former independent shop went out of business as bank took the shop from my former boss and owner after he bought emission test and bus lifter then decided to dont pay back...
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
volvo

>>>>Optional rubber eraser wheel for pinstripe and graphics removal>>>

Its the only thing to use to remove door seal/molding double sticky tape adhesive residue. Turns a nightmare of a job into a money maker, a real time saver. If I can't borrow the body shops tool, I'll turn the job down. It just isn't worth wasting 1-2 hrs on a job that will take 1/2 or less when using this tool. Works great and leaves no paint damage...H
volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo View Post

Its the only thing to use to remove door seal/molding double sticky tape adhesive residue. Turns a nightmare of a job into a money maker, a real time saver. If I can't borrow the body shops tool, I'll turn the job down. It just isn't worth wasting 1-2 hrs on a job that will take 1/2 or less when using this tool. Works great and leaves no paint damage...H
yes! i am agree with him... i wont use plastic scrap and be very extreme careful to scrap on body... it is not worth!!
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
ColdDuckTime

It looks like a pretty cool idea, I can definitely think of a few times (not enough to buy it though) where it would have been useful. But holy cow, that product must represent pure profit for them.
ColdDuckTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
martell06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger View Post
Grant
TP Tools sells this one for $200
http://www.tptools.com/p/1385,221_Th...mover-Kit.html
martell06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
4lug39

Check http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/sear...0&GoSearch.y=0. I have the cheaper version and as often as I use
it I have never been let down by it. I hope the link works.
I love classic American cars like a thrice-divorced 45-year old tax attorney loves barely legal coeds. That is to say passionately, inappropriately and almost certainly inadequately while muttering whispered apologies to the beautiful thing I am probably ruining forever.
4lug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
chad s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lug39 View Post
Check http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/sear...0&GoSearch.y=0. I have the cheaper version and as often as I use
it I have never been let down by it. I hope the link works.
Well, the cheaper one (same as the TP tools one) has the wheel turning perpendicular to the handle, which will definately limit the areas you can get the tool into. I see that as a seriouse issue for my intended use.

The look at this one:
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/DFX-MBX3500.html

The head is exactly the same as the snap on unit, with a different drive system. So obviousely Snap On outsources the head unit, and uses their Sioux factory to product the drive system. Or possibly, both are made by Sioux. Regardless, that above one is more money than the Snap On!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
caspian65

I have a crud thug, it is an awesome tool. You can remove undercoating in no time. It's quite impressive.

Keep an eye out on ebay for one, I paid 50% of list price for a lightly used one with a bunch of wheel attachments. Definitely get one of the stripe removal tools, they do an unbelievable job of taking stripes off, does not damage paint at all.
caspian65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
chad s

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
I have a crud thug, it is an awesome tool. You can remove undercoating in no time. It's quite impressive.

Keep an eye out on ebay for one, I paid 50% of list price for a lightly used one with a bunch of wheel attachments. Definitely get one of the stripe removal tools, they do an unbelievable job of taking stripes off, does not damage paint at all.
What Snap On tool dont you have? HAha. No seriousely, with a Snap On collection like yours, you are my hereo. I thin we should actually start a thread on everyones Snap On want list. I have just about everything I need in Snap On, a lot I just wanted, and still a lot more I dont need, but would like. Its a sickness!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #13
strizzy

Send a message via AIM to strizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo View Post

I've used that tool, just not the Snap On branded one. It is the ONLY tool to use when removing vinyl stripes at all. Boat pinstripes get so beat up from docks and whatnot that you cant just peel it off in large sections, just little pieces. I'm not sure I would ever buy one as I don't see myself doing enough 'removing of stuff' to see it worth it...
strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
clueless

used one with the eraser wheel on it for a few months.works good.used the stainless wire wheel too.if you dont force it too much they work ok.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #15
chad s

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless View Post
if you dont force it too much they work ok.
What did you try to remove with it? Any reports on stripping paint off of car body panels? Undercoating?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #16
chad s

Well, I bought the crud thug today. I have only tried it with the coarse wire wheel, and it really rocks. It eats through old paint and bondo really quickly. It has a ton of torque, and fits your hands really nicely. I am very impressed.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #17
caspian65

Pretty amazing piece eh? Make sure to wear gloves and eye protection.
caspian65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
billymade

chad s, any update on this tool? My brother has a spray on bed lining company; many times people come in with trucks that have beds with previously sprayed material that needs to come off to reapply the coating. What has your experience been with the tool 3 years out; undercoating, bed lining material are similar.... do you think this tool would work for our situation? Any and all comments appreciated!
The tool isn't coming up on Snap-On's website; I wonder if it has been discontinued? The accessories are still listed but not the tool itself!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 11-05-2010 at 11:59 AM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote