Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
ia bhtr

Default electric heat revisited , 1200 sq ft

Hey guys , got a 30x40x9 pole shed , finished inside , insulated walls & ceiling , just finished the insides and now looking for heat , thinking electric with the ability to get to 70 degrees , in Iowa so we do get some cold days/nites ...... mostly keep the shed above freezing but want to warm it up if I wanta work on the Chevelle or wifeys old Caprice

Thoughts ??

Thought about LP and may still go that way but a furnace , and a propane tank will be spendy and with what LP is costing these days , thinking electric very well maybe cheaper in the long run , Thanks Dan
ia bhtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
StaggeringGoat

Default Re: electric heat revisited , 1200 sq ft

You will need a BIG heater. Like 10kw at least. Electricity is the most expensive source of heat there is.
StaggeringGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
ia bhtr

actually , in my part of the world , its the cheapest
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia bhtr View Post
actually , in my part of the world , its the cheapest
Exactly! Same here in Quebec, electricity is 0.08$/kwh.

When heating oil is over .53$/l, electricity is cheaper. Natural Gaz is not available in my area.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
RodneyPierce

ia, nice to see another iowan on here. I would look at natural gas heat if available for you. I am heating mine with natural gas, and its really not bad cost wise. I keep it at 55* all the time, all winter long. I cant imagine what it would cost to heat the garage with electric here. Unless you went with 100% radiant heat, but that would require quite the heater. I may be wrong, but would think it would get mighty pricy mighty quickly.
RodneyPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Dragster Racer

In Illinois, I have tried the electric heat thing, and after ONE MONTH, gave up on that stuff. I used the online calculators to figure the cost, and electric should have been cheaper. NOPE. The nuke plant had to keep one reactor going just for me. I have an lp tube heater now. Not cheap, but way cheaper.
Dragster Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
ia bhtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyPierce View Post
ia, nice to see another iowan on here. I would look at natural gas heat if available for you. I am heating mine with natural gas, and its really not bad cost wise. I keep it at 55* all the time, all winter long. I cant imagine what it would cost to heat the garage with electric here. Unless you went with 100% radiant heat, but that would require quite the heater. I may be wrong, but would think it would get mighty pricy mighty quickly.
Thats the main problem , natural gas isnt available where I live , main reason that I was thinking electric was the local home owners who have switched from LP or fuel oil to electricity for heat , they have all significantly lowered their heating bills , guess I thought if it worked in a home it would in an insulated out building as well
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
1BADLS1tuner

Well where i live i think electric is actually the cheapest to heat with....

$0.065 per KW!!!

I have a 32x48x12 im currently building and am going to be using a goodman air handler with 15 or 20KW heat strips... this will allow me to add ac/heatpump later on

for $500-800 you can get a new goodman air handler that will be 10x the heater than any of the electric "garage" or "shop" heaters you see.

In the winter i went from a $150-200 gas bill and $60 electric bill..... to just a $100-$120 electric bill when i installed my airhandle/heatpump!!! Thats over $100 a MONTH! (this is in my house)

Last edited by 1BADLS1tuner; 12-17-2011 at 10:57 PM.
1BADLS1tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
ia bhtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS1tuner View Post
Well where i live i think electric is actually the cheapest to heat with....

$0.065 per KW!!!

I have a 32x48x12 im currently building and am going to be using a goodman air handler with 15 or 20KW heat strips... this will allow me to add ac/heatpump later on

for $500-800 you can get a new goodman air handler that will be 10x the heater than any of the electric "garage" or "shop" heaters you see.

In the winter i went from a $150-200 gas bill and $60 electric bill..... to just a $100-$120 electric bill when i installed my airhandle/heatpump!!! Thats over $100 a MONTH! (this is in my house)
Those are the kind of #s I am hearing after converting around here also
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Voi

Electric is cheap in my area as well. I have heard good things about radiant cove heaters as well as the large 4 x 2 radiant heat panels. I have the cove heaters but only because they are distributed by my local energy supplier and you can get cheap factory seconds.

I haven't looked into the radiant heat panels in a while but I believe the cheapest I found were from Northern Tool. It's been a while so I don't even remember the product name.

From people who have used both it seems like the panels are preferred. The cove heaters are mounted on upper walls so wooden cabinets can't be anywhere near them. The panels are ceiling mounted so other than lights can be mounted pretty much anywhere and directed at thermal mass sources.

But I think you'd need somewhere in the area 11,000 watts of electric resistive heat so that could get expensive. Google is down at the moment so I can't look up any links for you.
Voi is offline   Reply With Quote