Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
bowlofturtle

Default noises a bad strut mount/ strut bearing makes?

What type of noises do these make?

I have a 98 nissan maxima with 130k and i think they are going bad. I have a squeak over bumps. Sounds like its from the upper part of my suspension. I tried to push down on the fender, rocking it on each corner to make the noise happen and nothing. When driving it sounds like its from the upper front passenger side but really could be anywhere. Over slight and large bumps, almost always when go over speed humps at slow speeds.

Rock auto shows my strut bearings from raybesto looking like this for $16

Monroe has the mounts and bearings for $30.

I've used raybesto for many brake parts, never had an issue but never done a monroe part.

EDIT::::::::::::

So i had some time today to play with it. With the car in the air, i can get play at 3/9 and 12/6. I looked to see what was moving, since i thought it was arm bushing, i mainly looked into that. Nothing was moving. It was the axle, moving. I put a pry bar between the stud of the ball joint and bottom of the axle and instantly the play/wobble is gone. So i know its something there. Ruled out the tierod and control arm for now. I'll get those replaced later on.

I just replaced the wheel bearing, but not the hub. Could the hub cause this play? Seems to have enough wobble/play to be just about .5-1.0cm. I made sure the axle nut was tighten. It was and i re tighten it again. It seems to have more wobble then before.

Seems like my issue is either wheel hub, wheel bearing or axle

Last edited by bowlofturtle; 12-27-2011 at 02:06 PM.
bowlofturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Charles (in GA)

Default Re: noises a bad strut mount/ strut bearing makes?

Long story...... GF's niece stayed with me for about 4 months, a couple of years back. She had a 2000 Nissan Sentra. Driving on my gravel drive it had a weird knocking noise in the suspension. I drove it over to a neighbor who is a shop manager/mechanic for a large Nissan dealer and quite familiar with them. We rode up and down his drive and right away, he said "upper strut bearing" so I replaced the bearings. It still made the noise so I took it to my favorite family owned alignment shop/tire store. The alignment guy who knows his stuff figured it out in a couple of minutes. The lower arms are a banana shaped stamped piece with a ball joint on one end, a rubber bushing in an eye welded to the outside of the curve in the middle, and a doughnut in a cast three bolt mount on a straight spud on the other end. The doughnut had failed on both arms and the fore aft movement of the wheel caused the back end of the arm to move around in the cast mount, making the noise. Could not get just the rear mount, only the whole arm. The right arm was about $600 and the left arm was about $400 retail. The parts man mumbled something like "thats crazy" and went to the manager and got approval for a huge discount. I paid about $300 for each one.

Long story, but the Sentra suspension looks like the Maxima suspension, so look at the rear attachment to the lower arm. Pry it around and see if there is any movement.

Sentra lower arm

Maxima lower arm

Charles

Last edited by Charles (in GA); 12-19-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
aussiek2000

The upper strut mount does not normally squeak. It will either have a tapping type noise over bumps if it rusts out or breaks or a click when turning.
aussiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
RodneyPierce

lower control arm bushings will squeak when they are worn out. My Cadillac squeaks big time and it drives me nuts. Mine does it every time the control arm moves at all. Taking off from stop lights/signs, going over bumps, etc. I have to get around to putting new lower control arms on it, just havnt had the time.
RodneyPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
gotwheels

Not familiar with Nissans, but on Honda Accords, you get a similar noise from worn front stabilizer bar bushings. For the Honda, it is an easy, inexpensive fix. Good Luck!
gotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
ironman70

Gotwheels - my civic makes the squeaking sound on every bump and when i get in and out of the car. you think it could be the stabilizer bar?
ironman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
RodneyPierce

Iron man, easy way to check is spray down the bushing's on the stabalizer bar only with some penetrating oil, or WD40. Go for a drive. Did the noise creak/squeak go away? If so, thats your culprit. If its still there, then move onto the next set of bushings and spray them (lower control arm bushings). Go for a short drive again, and listen. Once the noise goes away, you know you have found your problem.
RodneyPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
ironman70

Thanks Rodney...i'll have to try that this weekend...
ironman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Bender78

Consider replacing the sway bar end links. On both my Maxima and Pathfinder, these wore out around 130k miles and made the knocking sounds you describe.
Bender78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Check the motor mounts also.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
gotwheels

ironman70, All have made good comments. To check with a lube, I would use a silicone spray for less mess/clean-up. As mentioned, also check the swaybar endlinks. Good luck!
gotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
bowlofturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
Long story...... GF's niece stayed with me for about 4 months, a couple of years back. She had a 2000 Nissan Sentra. Driving on my gravel drive it had a weird knocking noise in the suspension. I drove it over to a neighbor who is a shop manager/mechanic for a large Nissan dealer and quite familiar with them. We rode up and down his drive and right away, he said "upper strut bearing" so I replaced the bearings. It still made the noise so I took it to my favorite family owned alignment shop/tire store. The alignment guy who knows his stuff figured it out in a couple of minutes. The lower arms are a banana shaped stamped piece with a ball joint on one end, a rubber bushing in an eye welded to the outside of the curve in the middle, and a doughnut in a cast three bolt mount on a straight spud on the other end. The doughnut had failed on both arms and the fore aft movement of the wheel caused the back end of the arm to move around in the cast mount, making the noise. Could not get just the rear mount, only the whole arm. The right arm was about $600 and the left arm was about $400 retail. The parts man mumbled something like "thats crazy" and went to the manager and got approval for a huge discount. I paid about $300 for each one.

Long story, but the Sentra suspension looks like the Maxima suspension, so look at the rear attachment to the lower arm. Pry it around and see if there is any movement.

Sentra lower arm

Maxima lower arm

Charles
Yea i looked into this, mainly because the ball joints are press on type of deal. Ebay has no name ones for $150 for the pair. And then i can just grab tie rods locally since they are like $30 each. Those 2 are the only reason why a wheel would wobble correct. Assuming the wheel bearing is good, since i just replaced.

Can someone find me the flatrate hour for this job? My wheel bearing was 3.5 hours. I did that in 2 minus the trip to shop to get it pressed in and out. Just wanted to know how much control arms are, since they can seized up at the back part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender78 View Post
Consider replacing the sway bar end links. On both my Maxima and Pathfinder, these wore out around 130k miles and made the knocking sounds you describe.
i did these at 70-80k, they had a more of a moan noise. I tested this buy disconnecting both endlinks. About 10k later i had a loud knock and the endlink broke. So i replaced them. Its an easy job but looking at them today, its a LOT more rustier then i would like it. Will look into them again. Cheap fix.

Last edited by bowlofturtle; 12-20-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
bowlofturtle

was poking around and found out some guys had issues removing a pivot rod. It would get seized up. It would be that middle bushing, it looks like a rubber outer and metal inner. i was thinking if i had it out, one could torch it off but metal on metal wouldnt make it a little harder.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
bowlofturtle

So i had some time today to play with it. With the car in the air, i can get play at 3/9 and 12/6. I looked to see what was moving, since i thought it was arm bushing, i mainly looked into that. Nothing was moving. It was the axle, moving. I put a pry bar between the stud of the ball joint and bottom of the axle and instantly the play/wobble is gone. So i know its something there. Ruled out the tierod and control arm for now. I'll get those replaced later on.

I just replaced the wheel bearing, but not the hub. Could the hub cause this play? Seems to have enough wobble/play to be just about .5-1.0cm. I made sure the axle nut was tighten. It was and i re tighten it again. It seems to have more wobble then before.

Seems like my issue is either wheel hub, wheel bearing or axle
Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
WILD-BILL

Play at 3/9 and 12/6 positions are usually from a bad hub bearing. Not un common fro a new wheel bearing to have play if the axle shaft nut was not torqued properly. What did you tighten it with?

However, I doubt a bad bearing would be the cause of the squeak over bumps. More likely a dry ball joint or tie rod, bushing or sway bar link. Those noises can be a bear to track down especially if you have to be driving it to happen and can;t make it happen on the lift when you're checking it out.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
bowlofturtle

back on this.

I figured i need to replace things anyways. So now the noise is still there. I'm down to 3 items. Tie rod, strut assembly (cost of top mount/boot and bearing is about the same as a pre-built drop in unit) and lastly balljoint/control arm.

I replaced wheel bearing, sway bar bushing both sides and endlinks on both sides. I went with the cheapest parts so far. I was going to do tie rod ends but i know an alignment is needed after so i didn't want to fork over $50 for that just yet. I think i'm going to try and do the strut assembly, what i originally thought was wrong. Because it only happens on bumps, so i figure the strut mount is hitting/making noise against the body.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
burnin53

Ball-joints.
burnin53 is offline   Reply With Quote