Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
monkers

Default pigtail a 220v outlet?

I want to have a 220v outlet in 2 locations to use a saw in 2 spots,can I pigtail off the first outlet to a second one or do i need to run another line from the panel box? They will not both be used at the same time
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Jagmandave

Default Re: pigtail a 220v outlet?

Pigtail is fine for you since you know the story, but if you sell the place I'd consider removing the second one.
Jagmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Steevo

I did a pair of 30A-240v receptacles on each wall of my shop, with each pair run from a single breaker, using 10/2 Romex. I did it for the same reason as you, I might move stuff, and don't know where it will finally end up. The second receptacle is wired from the box behind the first, where the three wires for each leg are wire-nutted together and the grounds are crimped together. The inspector asked about it, looked it over, and passed it. He indicated that for convenience receptacles it could be done, but for hard-wired equipment it couldn't.
I am sure we'll hear from a bunch of electricians here that say otherwise.

Carpe Mañana
(The official motto of Procrastinators Anonymous)

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Falcon67

I left a spot in my box for one more 240V circuit. The thought is that if I can upgrade to a 240V welder, I would put a xxA (depends on the welder) run on my divider wall, with one outlet in the tool/work area and one in the car area. It's be a unique plug in the shop and I can only use the welder one place at a time.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
monkers

I have a separate, designated welder outlet on its own circuit. This is for a horizontal handsaw that will be in one spot 95% of the time, but if I need to cut a 20' length I can move the saw to the other area. Thanks guys
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
nehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
I want to have a 220v outlet in 2 locations to use a saw in 2 spots,can I pigtail off the first outlet to a second one or do i need to run another line from the panel box? They will not both be used at the same time
If the breaker is sized for the wire, then it should not be a problem. Virtually all circuits have more amperage in outlets than the circuit can provide. So if you are wiring with 10 AWG, for example, then a 30 Amp breaker.

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95 For Sale)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Aceman

I didn't look through the code book on this one, but I'll say most of the time I run dedicated circuits for welders, 240 volt equipment, etc when I'm doing commercial shops/garages/warehouses/etc. But for a home shop, I wouldn't have a problem daisy chaining a few of them together for a guy working alone wanting a little more portability. Just watch your box fill.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
sberry

Woodworking shops often have several outlets on one circuit. It may be possible to run more than one machine at a time.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote