Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Gus68

Default Wide door vs. two small doors

Hey guys! Planning new garage and was wondering the pros and cons of having one 16 or 18 foot garage door or two small say 9 foot doors. I am leaning towards one large door.
Gus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Steevo

Default Re: Wide door vs. two small doors

Two doors are an advantage ONLY when the doors are wide enough for your vehicles AND there is room to have 4 feet or more of space between them, AND there is room for more than 2 feet on each outer side. Otherwise, one larger door is better.

I don't need chrome. . . . I like tools with "patina".

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
BevoZ06

One wide door is much more versatile if you ever want to pull in at an angle, etc. You might have to buy a garage door opener with a slightly heavier motor, but you're buying only one.

Also, if anyone in your household might have a tendency to cut it too close when entering or exiting, there is no center divider wall to avoid. I have a utility trailer and it is much easier to back it up and into the wide door to load or unload items into the garage.
BevoZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Zeke

One door is cheaper and one less opener is half.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
marcusicp

One door is nice when you want to pull into the center of the garage and have plenty of room to work around it with the doors open.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
BillK

Gus,

I agree with the others on the single door and personally I would definitely say 18 ft IF you are going to be always parking two vehicles in it. The garage on my house has a single 16ft door and it is really a close squeeze for my Tahoe and my Wife's Buick. I have to barely miss the door frame with the Tahoe mirror to have enough room to comfortably open the door next to the Buick. An 18 ft door would make it great.

However, my 24x24 detached garage has a 16 ft door and that is fine. I only have one car in there and the extra ft of wall space on each side of the door is nice. Also, depending on how wide your garage is, you may want to consider offsetting the door some to one side so you have a lot of room along one side for a workbench etc.

All depends on what you are planning on using the garage for.

Enginerepairshop.com
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
ambenz

Yup, one big door! ...and good advice on the offset!
I have both...the 8' wide door is usually used for storage and isn't very easy to park while backing in.
I park my convertable in that bay during the winter.
ambenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
JimVonBaden

I think two doors look better, but one is far more practical for a garage that will get much use!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
pauls340

Some garage fronts look better with two doors, I like the two door look but more importantly, I did it for privacy reasons. When i'm working in the garage I keep the door behind the "toy" closed. Also, don't go with the narrower doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Demons garage.jpg (75.0 KB, 55 views)
pauls340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
oldgoat

Personnally I like two doors, but I wouldn't have the 9' doors. I have a single and it gets a little close sometimes with some cars, especially if you get a little crooked. The 2 car garage I just put a 12ft door on it offset some, because I knew that one part would have my woodworking tools in it so there wasn't going to be any 2nd car going in there anyway. I does make it nice though when you want to pull a full size truck in there and have room to walk around it easily.
oldgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
ket-tek

They both have pros and cons. It can depend on how you plan to use the garage, what you have to put in it, and ascetics from the exterior look of your house..

If your heating/cooling the garage, then single doors let out less conditioned air when needing to pull a car in/out. And if you were dividing the garage into work bay and park bay then two singles can mentally/visually help to maintain one clear bay for parking.

But when the weather is perfect on a weekend it is nice to have the whole side of the building open with a big door wide open with the sun shine coming in.

Some people feel multiple single doors are better for visual security as your not flashing the entire contents of the garage everytime you need to do something in there.
ket-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Super Sport

I prefer two separate doors, but some of the above posts point out good advantages of a single wide door.

One disadvantage I noticed with single doors was that my dual jetski trailer would not quite fit through the doorway.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
trbomax

Ive had shops both ways. Anything less than 10 is worthless.You cant back a boat or car hauler into it because its just too close.Then there is the issue of haveing to fold the mirror(s) on your truck to get thru it.

I thought I had it `figured out and was doing it right this time around,but no,I went with a 16w x 14h. Shoulda been 20w x 14h.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
paullie

one big door is my vote, i went with 2 smaller doors and really really wish i had went with one big door
paullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
abstamaria

How I wish I had installed a wide door instead of two small doors!
abstamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
jkeyser14

One large door makes it much easier to get stuff in and out. If you are heating or cooling the garage the one large door also hurts your hvac more when moving stuff in or out. I think it's a wash in the end.
jkeyser14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
djjsr

Since you're still in the planning stages, how about making it big enough for 2 wide doors?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
Gus68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sport View Post
I prefer two separate doors, but some of the above posts point out good advantages of a single wide door.

One disadvantage I noticed with single doors was that my dual jetski trailer would not quite fit through the doorway.
So why DO you prefer two seperate doors? Oh, and I'm not saying two 9ft. doors, just two single doors compared to one wide one. I'm thinking that the little one or two foot strip seperating the two single doors would be a PITA, but I see it all the time so I was wondering if guys like them better for some reason? If it's just for looks, then i don't care. I'm a function over form kinda guy!!! If it looks like crap but works better than anything else, I want it!!!!!
Gus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
Slow_Lane

I have 2-9 foot and 1-18, I much prefer the smaller doors that are used for the daily drivers. They are both basement garages 52X32ish devided by a concrete wall. I keep the side with 18 ft door for my 67 mustang, projects, tools and keep that side heated. With the wider door I felt like my wife did not have a good sense for where to park the car. With the smaller doors she has a good sense of where to park and does not take up two spots. Neither door however has solved the I can back out of it but can't back into it debate.
Slow_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
coburja

I'm a fan of single big doors. We have a 18' door on our house garage and we've gotten several envious comments from people with double doors and even 16' single doors. The one comment I would make, is that if you plan to put in a 18' door...buy one of good quality (good bracing and metal backed). I know someone who cheaped out on a 18' door and it was a sagging piece of junk. I've seen some cheapo 16' doors hold up pretty well but that extra two feet kind of puts an exponetially heavy load on the door when it's raised.
coburja is offline   Reply With Quote