Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
kartracer55

Default True Usa Made... You Asked For It!

There are still a few companies out there who turly make thier "usa made" tools 100% in the USA.

These HONEST companies are...

Snap On
Danaher (craftsman, Matco, KD, Allen, kobalt, Armstrong)
Cornwell
SK
Wright

Certain Ingersoll rand guns are made here in the usa, Others are only assembled in USA, but certian retailers lable them as being made in USA.

Jim
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
dink

Send a message via Skype™ to dink

Pratt-Read are all made in the USA....they make all Craftsmen screwdrivers
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-03-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
jonkav
Garageaholic

Soooo, with tool boxes/chest, a Kobalt is the same as a Craftsman? Or, is the Danaher company a bit like Ford-- base is Ford, then Mercury, then Lincoln (increasing in "goodness")?

Good info--thanks!
jonkav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
kartracer55

Danaher is the "parent" company. They are a little different from ford, because there is now actual Danaher Brand tools.

Its funny how it all works. With matco, Kobalt, Craftsman, and Id assume with KD and Allen, all the internal parts are interchangable. The Reason Matco and armstrong are more expensive is because thier internals are propably heat treated better, which is why they hold up better than craftsman. The ratchet pawl spring in Matco ratchets is also stronger, and I know for a fact that Matco and Armstrong ratchets have better tolerances than Craftsman or Kobalt, but in pinch, you can rebuild a matco ratchet from a craftsman.

The Thing about Craftsman is, that thier tools are contracted out. Take a look at SK's new Teardrop ratchet. It is IDENTICAL to the craftsman professional in length, gear design, quick release. It wouldnt surprise me If SK was making them for craftsman, or Danaher was making them for SK.

Jim
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
Paychk
Certified Garage Junkie

Not sure how accurate this is:

http://www.usstuff.com/tools.htm

BTW FNG here:
Paychk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
evildky

I for one don't really care where my tools are made, I know ther is a difference between a quality tool and cheap china junk, but just because it's not made here doesn't make it junk, conversly being american made a sporting a popular name doesn't make it a quality tool either, I have a big long handle snap-on 1/2 ratchet I bought new, granted it's used on the toughest jobs it's been messed up and in need of a rebuild since about a month after I got it, in the YEARS! since I've had to use my craftsman ratchets and have yet to damage one of the craftsman units, although I have noticed the ratchets they give with the basic kits now tend to stick and just not operate as smoothley as the units they were selling just a few years back
evildky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
Coach James

Some other made in USA tools: Enderes screw drivers. Also, punches, chisels and prybars by Baltimore Tool Works.

Vaughn still makes their hammers, axes and garden tools in the USA.

One change from the link, Cooper and Plumb tools are not all made in USA now. Many of their tools including hammers, wrenches and sockets are made in Taiwan.

As to Kobalt, only their ratchets and sockets are USA made. Their pliers, hammers and screwdrivers are made in China and Taiwan.
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote