Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower
Default Battery "resurrection"?

Has anyone tried this? Any idea how they are doing the resurrection?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORDLESS-DRILL-B...ayphotohosting

The ad definitely worked as designed (got my attention)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cde2_1.jpg (16.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Junkman

Default Re: Battery "resurrection"?

He is selling you the information of how to resurrect the batteries, not any hardware or tool to do this. Is his "intellectual" property worth $12.95 to you is the real question. Once you purchase the information, you are free to do with it what you want, so if it works, then you can blab that to anyone that you care to. If it doesn't work, then you are out $12.95 and can bad mouth his non "intellectual" property as being nothing more than snake oyl.
I already know what he is going to be telling you. You need to "hit" the battery with a high voltage charge to break up charge pack in the battery. I have heard of this many times before, but I have never tried it. I have heard that the battery can explode and you could get hurt, but I don't know if there is any truth to that claim.
Here is a link that explains how to do it for free.......... Here is a link that tells you how to build the zapper.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
poncho62

The plates in batteries these days are built so thin that once a battery fails, its game over......You notice that same cranking amp batteries are smaller these days than in the past.......thinner plates.................That is why, one day its good, the next, the car won't start.

Also, be careful....Batteries can and do explode...................

edit........OH...Cordless drill batteries.........never mind, but probably the same may be said about them.......................

Still leaving my rant on car batteries..................a new battery every 3 years is ridiculous.........

Last edited by poncho62; 11-29-2007 at 08:25 AM.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
cambell

save your 12 bucks, merry christmas http://home.scarlet.be/johnstaybank/nicad_repair.htm
cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Charles (in GA)

The idea with the voltage is akin to the de-sulfaters, they use high frequency AC to cause the sulfur crystals (that have coated the batteries plates and prevented the battery from flowing current) to separate from the plates and go back into the battery fluid. Don't know what this guys technique is, but true de-sulfaters do work, as we discussed a few weeks ago.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Danglerb

I believe with a NiCad that whiskers of metal perforate the insulation later and make internal shorts. Giving it a short ZAP is designed to poof those shorts.

There are some battery rejuv circuits that work other ways, but I don't that much about them. Best is to buy fresh new cells and replace the old ones. Maha I think makes a generic one that recharges all cells and hooks up with clips.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
Franz©
Banned

Well, either Rob the Slob has moved from Connecticut to Califooey and changed his product line from sandblasters for the insane to battery rejuvinators, or he has a cousin on the west coast.

Then again, this clown could be the copy writer for Easton compressors given the amount of crap he spews saying nothing.

Nicads that have gone deep discharge, reverse polarity or corroded cannot be recussitated. Motarola developed an excellent machine for their shops, $14,000- to rejuvinate portable batterys, and it only succeeds about 25% of the time.

Now if you have money laying around you don't know what to do with, send it to me and I'll mail you the secret formula to make permanent antifreeze at home.
Franz© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
paddy

Hay Junkman, I'm a new member. Tried to go the the zapper link but my browser couldn't find it, to you have an address I really want to see this "zapper". Thanks
paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
mkdive

I have got some of my old dewalt 18V batteries back from the dead. A friend told me to try this on an old dewalt battery that wont accept a charge....(if it isnt working anymore, you got nothing to lose).

He told me to take the dewalt battery & a set of jumper cables....hook the cables up to a charged 12v auto battery (preferably not one installed in your car). take the +&- leads and touch the leads on the dewalt battery for a second or so.
I did it, stuck the 18v battery back on its charger and it worked....the battery accept a charge again. i have only tried this with 2 of my dewalt batteries that werent working anymore and I was just going to recycle them. That was a year ago and the batteries are still going strong!

I figured I would give it a try, nothing to lose. I would never try this with a lipo or li-ion battery....i could only see bad stuff happen with that.
mkdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdive View Post
I did it, stuck the 18v battery back on its charger and it worked....the battery accept a charge again. i have only tried this with 2 of my dewalt batteries that werent working anymore and I was just going to recycle them. That was a year ago and the batteries are still going strong!
Hmmmm...I have 18v Ryobi batteries...nothing wrong with them yet, but when they go bad I'll have to try this.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34014

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=222480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I'm perfectly content to die some other way, just not from a HF jack stand. I mean, I expect my death will be on account of the Chinese at some point, but...just not a jack stand, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
It's because paying for your own stuff, and earning your own way, is what a man does.
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Hay Junkman, I'm a new member. Tried to go the the zapper link but my browser couldn't find it, to you have an address I really want to see this "zapper". Thanks
It was a good site when I posted it, but as things often happen on the internet, sites go dark and never come back. Try a Google search to see what you might find.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
1320stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdive View Post
I have got some of my old dewalt 18V batteries back from the dead. A friend told me to try this on an old dewalt battery that wont accept a charge....(if it isnt working anymore, you got nothing to lose).

He told me to take the dewalt battery & a set of jumper cables....hook the cables up to a charged 12v auto battery (preferably not one installed in your car). take the +&- leads and touch the leads on the dewalt battery for a second or so.

I figured I would give it a try, nothing to lose. I would never try this with a lipo or li-ion battery....i could only see bad stuff happen with that.
Okay, I have 2 18v Dewalt batteries that won't hold a charge, one given to me by a neighbor and the other dug out of the recycling bin at Lowe's. Does it matter which lead on the 18v dewalt battery I touch with the positive or negative leads from the car battery? If it does, which is positive and which is negative on the 18v battery?

I was going to take these to Batteries Plus to have them rebuilt, but this could save me $100. or it could

1963 Fairlane 2 door post
1965 Mustang Coupe
1973 F-100 longbed
1991 Festiva "Thing 1", red
1991 Festiva "Thing 2", blue
1992 Festiva "Blackie", black (duh)
1993 Festiva "Feisty", white
2000 Explorer 4 door, "Kevin"
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Explorer SportTrac
2005 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
PS: I'm a girl..
1320stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
beelsr

Yes, the pos/neg matters. meter the contacts to see which is which.

Here are a couple ZIPs of PDFs that show the process. They're from some seller on ebay that someone else sent me a while back.

1.2MB in size:
http://rapidshare.com/files/191723381/Battery.zip

I've used them to resurrect a couple DeWalt 14.4V battery packs. They were dead, wouldn't accept a charge and afterwards I couldn't hold the chuck. They have maybe 80% capacity compared to new packs. Enjoy....

Last edited by beelsr; 01-30-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added the file....
beelsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
beelsr

goto www.archive.org and punch in the url and see if it's archived - many are...

also, if you're using Firefox, there's an extension to search the archive sites when you gte a dead link. Forget the exact name but a search on "resurrection" should find it; if not, something liek "dead site finder" or the like should get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post

Last edited by beelsr; 01-30-2009 at 01:58 PM.
beelsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
3liter914-6

I have a Vector 1095A that I have used to bring a couple of batteries back from the dead using the de-sulfide feature. Most don't respond, but at least 1 Optima and an Odyssey have been restored to full use after dying and failing to hold a charge.

For the $35 I paid it's worth it just for the portability and charging, the reconditioning cycle is icing on the cake.
3liter914-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
Chrysler300

Default Battery "resurrection"? NI-Cad Zapper Links

All, Thanks for the info on getting my ni-cads back! Junkman left good info and a link that somehow got old and I wanted let you know it's still there, but modified:
http://www.atv-projects.com. On the left is the "NiCad Zapper" : http://www.atv-projects.com/NiCad_Zapper.html. They must have re-organized.
Also found this link, but it's best message is the warning:
http://www.zetatalk.com/energy/tengx079.htm
Cheers!
Chrysler300 is offline   Reply With Quote