Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
soapii

Default Attic ladder for 12' ceiling??

Anyone have any suggestions for an attic ladder for 12' ceilings? I see Werner and Louisville both make a aluminum fold up style for max 12' ceiling. I have 24" OC truss spacing and the trusses run the way I want the ladder to pull down so it should be a simple plug and play install. Just trying to get some feedback from people who have already installed one.

Thanks in advance.

--Joe
soapii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
akdiesel
Alliance Member

Default Re: Attic ladder for 12' ceiling??

Is this a shop or house?
I do not have attic stairs in my shop but I used to have attic stairs in a house that had 8' ceilings. I feel the 12' would be difficult to travel in that length with items since most of those ladders are steep and narrow and no handrail.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
gatchel

Most 12 foot pull down ladders I have researched required 25.5" rough opening size side to side. You 24" OC truss spacing might not work. Double check the specs on the ladders you are interested in.

This is the one I used:

http://louisvilleladder.us.com/produ...st-series.html

It works...It's not the best build quality but I haven't had any issues with it. I guess it's what you get for being made in Mexico...

Edit:
Here is the werner 12' ladder specs:

http://us.wernerco.com/view/Products...adders/A/A2512

Last edited by gatchel; 12-30-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added werner ladder specs
gatchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Brad1234

I did what i though was the perfect solution. I bought a 10' fiberglass ladder instead. I can use it to get into the attic & anywhere else that I need it.
Brad1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
lzicc

I'm in the same boat. I saw the one with the 25" RO, but I would have to cut a truss for it to fit and I don't want to do that. I did find one with a 22.5" RO, but the it is priced at about $450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapii View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for an attic ladder for 12' ceilings? I see Werner and Louisville both make a aluminum fold up style for max 12' ceiling. I have 24" OC truss spacing and the trusses run the way I want the ladder to pull down so it should be a simple plug and play install. Just trying to get some feedback from people who have already installed one.

Thanks in advance.

--Joe
lzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Gregory M

check my post here at G.J. i have a Louisville Ladder that i got from home depot
her is the model number and price. mine works great you have to modify the pull down bar to get the ladder all the way down from the hinged up position for storage other wise it will beat the hell out of you as you straighten it out. but i like it and its out of the way.

Louisville Ldadder Everest 12 ft. x 63 in. x 24-1/2 in.
Aluminum Attic Ladder 350 Lb. Load Capacity
(Type IA Duty Rating)

Model AL258P
$239.00
Internet Special
$239.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attic 4.jpg (132.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg attic 5stairs.jpg (144.9 KB, 71 views)
Gregory M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
soapii

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatchel View Post
Most 12 foot pull down ladders I have researched required 25.5" rough opening size side to side.
Yup that is why I asked. Both the Werner and Louisville are too wide but I did find this one which should work.......

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6175

--Joe
soapii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
gatchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapii View Post
Yup that is why I asked. Both the Werner and Louisville are too wide but I did find this one which should work.......

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6175

--Joe
An extra $100 - $200 is worth not modifying the trusses. I didn't see that when researching previously but I had the benefit of not having the structure built yet...I say go for it.
gatchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
bill9860

My ceiling is 12.5" used a pull down but the longest they make is for a 12' ceiling. So I built a "step" and the ladder feet rest on that when I need to pull it down. Works great.
bill9860 is offline   Reply With Quote