Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
dimwittedmoose51

Default Specs For a MAC AW612Q Impact Wrench???

Bought it at a pawn shop for like $100, largely on the "quoted" torque value of 900 ft. pounds the pawn broker looked up on the internet(as I was looking over his shoulder), but the MAC website lists no specs whatsoever. At least it's a current model and looking up replacement parts for it, nothing seemed outrageous price-wise; unlike a Japanese made NAPA 3/8" air ratchet I have that sells new at NAPA for $105 and the rebuild kit is $90+!!!

Anyone know the skinny on this MAC? I will say that it really packs a whallop and is much quieter than others I have used. I'm assuming it's still made in the USA.......

THX

DM&FS
dimwittedmoose51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Obie

Default Re: Specs For a MAC AW612Q Impact Wrench???

That gun is awesome. Use it daily and love it. Rebranded Aircat Nitrocat 1200k. Edit: Oh, also, not Made in USA. Only the Twin Hammer series are even assembled in the USA.

http://www.aircat.com/products/item/11

The NitroCat 1200-K is a no non-sense, hard hitting 1/2" impact wrench that outperforms anything in its class! Used by many NHRA Top Fuel Race teams. All the Power, Half the Noise!

The Twin Clutch design uses a hammer fixed directly onto the input shaft, with a pair of pins acting as clutches. When the hammer rotates past the anvil, a ball ramp pushes the pins outwards against a spring, extending them to where they will hit the anvil and deliver the impact, then release and spring back into the hammer, usually by having the balls "fall off" the other side of the ramp at the instant the hammer hits. Since the ramp need only have one peak around the shaft, and the engagement of the hammer with the anvil is not based on a number of teeth between them, this design allows the hammer to accelerate for a full revolution before contacting the anvil, giving it more time to accelerate and delivering a stronger impact.

The AIRCAT tool line has a substantially reduced level of noise while retaining more power and torque. Our tools have been tested & shown to operate at 82-86 dBa (decibels), far below the OSHA guidelines. This feature benefits not only the mechanic but also the overall business. The patented tuned exhaust muffler technology, in all the tools, allows discharged air to pass without developing back pressure, thus retaining more power, while significantly reducing noise. AIRCAT has innovated through-the-handle exhaust design, which incorporates its revolutionary worldwide patented internal muffler/filter. The benefits include reduced hazards from breathing exhausted air particulates, the elimination of blow-by into the operators eyes and lungs as well as reduce noise. AIRCAT also incorporates a patented ergonomically engineered handle design to relieve stress and fatigue on the operators hands, wrists and arms. The patented AIRCAT handle offers better overall distribution of weight for a balanced tool and provides a unique grip that makes it easier to use for prolonged periods of time.

Call one of our nationwide distributors today to hear and feel the AIRCAT difference!

Most Powerful Impact in its class!

Durable Kevlar &trade Composite Housing with Ergonomically Designed Handle

All NitroCat model impact wrenches use a Twin Clutch Mechanism

The Hard Hitting Twin Clutch mechanism creates a high torque initial impact. All NitroCat models are suited for heavy duty (frame work, medium to heavy duty trucks)

Patented through the handle exhaust to keep debris away from face

Patented Quiet Technology (86 decibels)

Easy operation Flip lever

Forward & Reverse Working Torque: 200-900 (ft-lb)

Blows Per Minute: 950 (bpm - Under Load)

Free Speed: 8,000 (rpm)

Weight: 4.5 lbs (2.04 kg)

Overall Length: 8.25 in (209 mm)

Avg.Air Consumption: 4 (CFM)

Sound Level: 86 (dBA)

Air Flow Pressure: 90 - 120 (psi)

2 Year Warranty Parts & Labor

*Not Recommended for Tire Shops The twin clutch is better suited for heavy duty (frame work, medium to heavy duty trucks)

Kevlar is a trademark of IE Du Pont Nemours and Company and/or its assigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAGT07 View Post
I was expecting more along the lines of: "Is that a breaker bar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" "Do you have an inspection mirror in your wallet, because I could see myself in there?" "Let me see if my big tool will fit in your box."

Last edited by Obie; 01-11-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Not Made in USA
Obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Obie

I should also add that there is a reason it's not for use in tire shops. The twin clutch doesn't work very well with torque sticks vs. a twin hammer design. It also loves air tool oil. Twin clutch designs require more oil and preventative maintenance than twin hammer designs, at least from everything I've read.

I've had mine for about a year, and haven't had a single problem and no loss of power. But as far as long term durability goes, I can't really say how well it would hold up to an IR. It does, however, get called on when a 1/2" IR can't break a bolt loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAGT07 View Post
I was expecting more along the lines of: "Is that a breaker bar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" "Do you have an inspection mirror in your wallet, because I could see myself in there?" "Let me see if my big tool will fit in your box."
Obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
dimwittedmoose51

Geez, I wish I had a follow up question, but my primary use will be for "salt zone" nuts and bolts on our family vehicles. This should last a lifetime if I keep it oiled.

BTW, the $20 used IR gun(pat. of 1971 vintage) from another store wouldn't even pop a lug nut off the Legacy wagon. It could have been shot in the first place. Thanks again for the epistle on this super tool.

DM&FS
dimwittedmoose51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
pipsters

I had an Aircat 1100-K, basically the twin hammer version of that gun. Hit a *little* bit less according to the specs, but it was more powerful than the 2135timax I also had at the time.
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
GoBlue

I have the Mac version. Its a stallion. Best gun i have ever owned...PERIOD