Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
dps136

Default chevy silverado and oil consumption

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado (new body style) with about 55k miles on it. A buddie of mine has a 2009 with over 30k on it. We've both noticed the trucks consume oil. About a quart every 3,000 miles. My buddie let it go until the oil life said to change the oil and it was below the dip stick.

We both have the 5.3 liter V8.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or knows why? This is the first Chevy I've owned that consumes oil.
dps136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
nehog

Default Re: chevy silverado and oil consumption

Seems perfectly normal... Virtually all engines use some oil, either gets blown out the ventilation system, past the rings, and past the valve seals. I would not even consider doing anything for one quart in 3K miles. (my Dodge Hemi gets the same mileage, too...)

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

http://www.peterhipson.com

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
BigE

If I let it go >7k, my 2005 5.3 will get low. I use synthetic so I'm running into this issue. It's only happened once so far so I'm continuing to monitor it.

Oh, and the oil minder is bunk.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
twincam00

burning oil in a gm is typical, my saturn burns a quart every 1,000 miles, the oldsmobile intrigue burns a qt every 700 miles
twincam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Tofast4U

Same thing here 2002 Tahoe with 5.3. Burns 1 quart every 3000 miles. Oh yeah 152K and still runs strong.
Tofast4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
mooman

That sounds about right. I have a 2004 Silverado with the 5.3L.
mooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
lead_foot

I run my '01 tahoe 5.3 at about 5k mile oil change intervals and it doesn't use any oil at all. Never once added oil between changes and the dipstick reads exactly the same at 5k miles as it did when I changed it last. This is with synthetic 0w30 and 140k miles on the clock. Guess I got a good one? lol
lead_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
theoldwizard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps136 View Post
My buddie let it go until the oil life said to change the oil and it was below the dip stick.
Your buddy is asking for a major engine damage. Spend a couple of bucks and throw a quart in when it is down a quart.

If it is down another quart at 6,000 since the last change, just change the oil and filter.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
mdbeck1

I've got a 2001 Silverado (4X4). I bought it used and have drive it for about 5 years. If I'm running with small to no load I use about 1 Qt every 3k miles. If I have the same load and run at 75 mph for hours on end it will burn a quart (I just got back from a Boy Scout campout that was 2.5 hours each way. It used 1 Qt). Loaded it will burn a quart about every 500-1000 miles. By loaded I mean pulling the car hauler (with a vehicle on it) or the 18' travel trailer.

I would say you don't have a problem yet. Monitor and change the oil and filter on a regular basis (I change mine every 3k miles).

BTW: I'm approaching 200k miles on my truck.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
bjcouche

I'll relay my experiences and opinions. My Father's 2005 Silverado burns just over a quart every 3000miles on conventional oil. It's done that since the first oil change when he bought it new. He was alarmed and brought it back to the dealer since he thought this was abnormal for cars manufactured in the last 20 years. The dealer did some research and came back with something like "this isn't average but it's within acceptable consumption according to GM". They even gave him a GM oil consumption record keeping booklet. He's supposed to record the mileage whenever he adds or changes the oil and how much. Turns out lots of GM owners are having this occur. I'm wondering if it's an engine design change thing... My 2001 (3.4L) Impala and my 1996 chevy 1500 (5.7L) both with 165,000+ miles don't burn any measurable amount of oil between 5,000 mile changes with conventional.

To sum up, IMHO, a quart every 5000 miles isn't "average" but it isn't cause for immediate alarm, unless the oil consumption is increasing. I guess GM is trying to bring back the days when people checked their oil when they filled up the gas tank....

Brian
bjcouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
pauldeere

I have a 2005 Silverado and a 2006 GMC Envoy Denalli, both have the 5.3 V-8. I have changed the oil myself every 3000 miles. Both use a 1/2 Qt. of oil at 2500 miles. I have tried synthetic oil and petro. oil in both giving the same results.......
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
CoyoteLL

Yep. This is a well known issue with the Active Fuel management engines. GM says it is normal. I don't know that I fully agree with that, but it is something to be aware of.

I don't think it is enough to harm an engine oer the long run unless you run it dry.

See more here:
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/264300/
CoyoteLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
MattT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
If I let it go >7k, my 2005 5.3 will get low. I use synthetic so I'm running into this issue. It's only happened once so far so I'm continuing to monitor it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lead_foot View Post
I run my '01 tahoe 5.3 at about 5k mile oil change intervals and it doesn't use any oil at all. Never once added oil between changes and the dipstick reads exactly the same at 5k miles as it did when I changed it last. This is with synthetic 0w30 and 140k miles on the clock. Guess I got a good one? lol
These guys might be on to something. I've no experience with the 5.3 but I've had other motors where switching to synthetic cut oil consumption substantially. As in from requiring top offs between changes to no noticeable oil consumption. YMMV but it's definitely worth trying on a motor in good condition.
MattT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

With the EPA crying about everything else, I find it hard to believe that GM call it acceptable for a newer engine to burn oil.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Mowerpan

Yes like stated above per GM 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles is acceptable. The fact is some will use more or less then others will. This spec is up to date as of Sept 28th, 2011.
Mowerpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
adam728

Oil burning just seems so hit or miss on everything. Head to a vehicle specific forum to see what I mean. 25% cry about using a quart every 1K and the dealer calling it normal. 25% claim to use no oil. The rest are scattered about. It seems manufacturers don't care until you are at 1 quart ever 800-1000 miles. My favorite is the guys with newer cars, 10K oil change interval, and the dealer claiming 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptible. What, you just change the filter at 10K and keep topping the thing off?

That said, 1 quart every 3K doesn't sound excessive to me. And your buddy needs to check his oil more often! He must not have looked at it in what, 6K, to be below the stick on something that burns it at 3K a quart? All our vehicles get tire pressure, oil level, and washer fluid checked once a week.

Last edited by adam728; 01-16-2012 at 05:55 PM.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
SpeedCoach

As another poster said - extreme consumption is a known issue with the 5.3's (related to the active fuel management thing). My friend just had all 8 pistons replaced (under warranty) about 6 months ago because his was going through oil like crazy. Then again - I have 2 other buddies with the same truck (both of theres are newer editions) that so far have not had problems.
SpeedCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
wssix99

Suggest you ask your dealer what the guidance is from GM. I know the V8's up to 2002, had guidance from GM that 1 quart per 3000 mi was expected. The dealer will have an updated TSB to cover your year/make.

For example there are certain levels where it is a problem - but it sounds like your situation is not this bad:
http://nastfenews.org/index.php?opti...ures&Itemid=49
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
Mowerpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wssix99 View Post
Suggest you ask your dealer what the guidance is from GM. I know the V8's up to 2002, had guidance from GM that 1 quart per 3000 mi was expected. The dealer will have an updated TSB to cover your year/make.

For example there are certain levels where it is a problem - but it sounds like your situation is not this bad:
http://nastfenews.org/index.php?opti...ures&Itemid=49

1 quart every 2,000 miles is acceptable. That is per GM as stated above.
-GM Service Adviser (Information obtained from GM SI)
Mowerpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post

Oh, and the oil minder is bunk.

Care to comment on why the oil minder is bunk or would it just force you to prove you don't know what you're talking about