Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
ripsnortMN

Default Tecumseh snow king 9hp help

Hey guys i recently had my 9hp tecumseh snow king engine apart. Its a 2005 model on an Ariens snowblower. Here is my problem. I recently pulled some parts off of it to replace a bad coil. During this time i disassembled the throttle linkage. Now when I went to put it back together I forgot which holes on the throttle lever went to which rods that go to the carb. There are multiple holes so I just guessed. Now it revs to the moon no matter which position the throttle lever is in. (turtle or rabbit).

I need a picture or a diagram of this throttle area. I can't seem to find any online. I would imagine all Tecumseh snow kings have the same throttle lever setup. At least 2006ish and older. Given the new overhead cam design they have now vs. the older style that i have. Any ideas fellas?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
ourkid2000

Default Re: Tecumseh snow king 9hp help

This is from my manual......mine is a 10hp though. I also have a pic of mine where I marked the hole, should be the same for you.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb8 (Medium).jpg (57.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg carb 007 (Medium).jpg (62.5 KB, 41 views)
ourkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
woody 73

Not to hijack your great post but I also have a snowblower (Sears/Craftsman) with a Tecumseh engine I thought they stopped making tecumseh engines ,will we still be able to get parts for them?
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
ourkid2000

Wait, it sounds like you have messed with the governor adjustment? If so, hook up all the linkages as per my last post and then follow this procedure.

SERVICE GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT

With the engine stopped, loosen the screw holding the
governor clamp on the governor lever. Rotate the clamp
in a direction that will force the throttle shaft open and
allow the governor follower arm to rest on the governor
spool. Push the governor lever connected to the throttle
to the wide open throttle position. Hold the lever and
clamp in this position while tightening the screw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb 003 (Medium).jpg (84.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
ourkid2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody 73 View Post
Not to hijack your great post but I also have a snowblower (Sears/Craftsman) with a Tecumseh engine I thought they stopped making tecumseh engines ,will we still be able to get parts for them?
Parts are still plentiful, however, for the most part those are very reliable engines if you change the oil each season and keep clean gas in em. My fathers is over 30 years old, still runs like new after heavy use every year.

I had heard that someone is making parts for Tecumseh again, not sure if that's true.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
MoonRise

http://www.tecumsehpower.com/

Maybe

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=t...K801156501A-EN

and check the diagram?
MoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
woody 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourkid2000 View Post
Parts are still plentiful, however, for the most part those are very reliable engines if you change the oil each season and keep clean gas in em. My fathers is over 30 years old, still runs like new after heavy use every year.

I had heard that someone is making parts for Tecumseh again, not sure if that's true.
Thank you I will keep that in mind hopefully it will last that long.
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
MoonRise

Ah, ourkid2000 snapped some pics for you.

MoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Oldtymeflyr

Look very carefully at the holes, usually they will show some signs of wear, where they were previously located.

I am presently in the process of rebuilding the Lawson, NKA Walbro, carb on my 5 hp Ariens that is a little over 30 years old. Mine has distinct wear marks on one side of the holes.

Yes, I intended to use wear, where, were.

Rick
Oldtymeflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Dudester60

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody 73 View Post
Well, I certainly hope so. I was just about to purchase a brand new Ariens DLE snowblower with a Briggs & Stratton 11 hp motor for about $1800.00, when I found a very slightly used Anniversary edition (2008) Ariens DLE 1130 with Tecumseh engine for $950.00. The unit was like new, and ran VERY strong.
So I purchased it and saved over half the price of a new one. I've only had to use it twice so far this winter, and it is an amazing snowblower and works perfectly....couldn't ask for better.
Yet, for some reason, since I brought it home, it's been bothering me that I may have a problem finding parts for it someday, seeing that Techumseh no longer exist.
My old 10hp tecumseh snowblower is still running after 18 years, so I don't know why I'm now questioning if I did the right thing by buying the slightly used one. The 2011/12 Ariens DLE comes with the new B&S OHV engine, which is made in China (not saying that isn't a good thing)
I've read somewhere that the B&S OHV polar engine is superiour to the Tecumseh, although time has proven, that the Tecumseh snowblower engine has done very well over the years. Tecumseh have been Ariens choice of engine to put in their snowblowers for almost 60 years *1950 to 2009*. Once Tecumseh went under they had no choice but to go to another 4 stroke engine. The B&S engine has been Ariens new choice of engine the last 3 years, and appears to be doing well. I'm 60 years old, so if this blower will last me another 20, I guess I can't complain lol. I never needed any parts for the old Tecumseh, chances are I won't need any for the new one either.
What do you Tecumseh engine owners say ?

Last edited by Dudester60; 01-21-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Dudester60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
ourkid2000

I've heard a few times now that someone is making parts again for them......not sure if it's true.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
ourkid2000

This is from Wikipedia, take is as you like....

"In an interview published by The Janesville Gazette on February 10, 2009, Certified Parts Corporation President Jim Grafft said "that he plans to move the engine operation to Rock County, Wisconsin, where he owns three facilities in Janesville and one in Edgerton, and will initially supply parts for Tecumseh Power engines. Grafft also said that his company could eventually resume engine production, which Tecumseh Power ceased in December 2008"
Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Trainman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDe-V...feature=relmfu

This guy has many small engine videos on youtube, but the one above is specifically about the carb linkage.
Trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
sselander

Honestly, if you take care of them, they can run for a very long time. Parts are plentiful.

I have several w/Tecumseh engines and have never had any problems with them

I've got a mower 4 cycle - 6 or 7 years old

A small single stage snow thrower 2 cycle- circa early 80's and is still running great

A large 2 stage snow blower 4 cycle Snow King - 8 or 9 years old - still going strong

I had a Toro S-200 snow thrower 2 cycle I gave to my dad that is still running, early 80's also.
sselander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
G_P

I had a very old Wheel Horse blower with a Tecumseh 5hp engine on it. It had to be over 30 yrs old and ran like a champ. Finally junked it after it ended up tumbling down some stone steps while cleaning up after an ice/snow storm. When it hit the last step on the way down it smashed the carb all to hell.
G_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
ripsnortMN

Sorry for not posting back guys, been busy. Thanks for the pictures and the info. I will try and get back out to the garage today to mess with the blower. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Brentocool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDe-V...feature=relmfu

This guy has many small engine videos on youtube, but the one above is specifically about the carb linkage.
Thats perfect for his case! Good job!!!
Brentocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
Gregishome

Last year at work, I walked behind one of the grounds equipment barns and noticed a old John Deere 1032 two stage snowblower with the 10 h.p. Tecumseh engine on it sitting in the weeds...

From the vines growing around the handle bars it looked like it had been there a while. Someone had taken the spark plug out which was located on top of the engine, allowing rain water to go down in to the cylinder...

I asked the property manager what he was going to do with it. He said the engine was locked up and that he was going to haul it to the scrap yard shortly. I asked him if I could have it so he gave it to me. I brought it home and put it in the garage. I tried to pull the start cord a little and of course, it wouldnt budge....

I drained the engine oil and gas and removed the spark plug. For four days straight I shot a lot of, "PB Blaster" down in to the cylinder. On the 5th day I started trying to pull the starter rope again, real easy though. The cord gradually started to pull out and the engine turning...

I drained and flushed the crankcase, put in new oil, new spark plug, new gas, pushed the prime button many times and started pulling the rope easy ,then faster and faster. Suddnely, the old Tecumseh engine fired up and started running rough, but ran. ...

I ended up getting a new carb from Jacks Small Engines and today that old JDSB is still running like a turpentined cat !

Last edited by Gregishome; 01-28-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Gregishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
theoldwizard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregishome View Post
... I drained and flushed the crankcase, put in new oil, new spark plug, new gas, pushed the prime button many times and started pulling the rope easy ,then faster and faster. Suddnely, the old Tecumseh engine fired up and started running rough, but ran. ...

I ended up getting a new carb from Jacks Small Engines and today that old JDSB is still running like a turpentined cat !
You sound like a smart guy, so I probably don't need to say this. Check your engine oil level often ! Techumseh Snow King engines will "grenade" very quickly if the oil level gets low.

I guess that is also true about any small engine. I bought a 50 YO rototiller with a B&S 5HP for almost nothing. I got it running with a new one way clutch on the starter, a new flywheel key and a carb kit. I sold it when I got a newer one (only 40 YO ). I sold it to a lady who must have run it low on oil because she said the engine just stopped and then locked up
theoldwizard1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Gregishome

I think using the word "smart" may be a bit over the top for me...

Yep, I check the oil on the JDSB every time before I start it, ( not often as our state had become like wintering in GA) as well as any of my yard work engines.
Gregishome is offline   Reply With Quote