Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
tpolley

Default 80-96 f-series extra capacity fuel tank conversion

i have a 1993 f-250 diesel. i've been dicking with low fuel pressure most of last summer. 3-4psi when it should be 5-6. i replaced the fuel lift pump and it didn't make a difference. i pulled the front tank and there's a bunch of little tiny rust particles floating in the bottom. its on the sides of the tank and on the steel pickup line inside the tank. there's also rust on the bottom of the fuel filter bowl.

i imagine the fuel filter is clogged. my plan is to replace both tanks and filter before i go any further.

its a flat bed. the fuel filler necks are simply run between the frame of the truck and the frame of the flat bed and hanging out the side of the truck. it's an absolute m-f'er to fill. i usually end up putting 4-5 dollars worth of diesel on the ground.

anyway, fuel filler hose is about $25 a foot. i think its going to cost a ton of money to run the fuel filler necks "the right way" so i'm thinking about pulling both front and rear tanks, pulling the fuel tank selector solenoid and installing a new 38 gallon tank in the rear. i still don't know how i'm going to run the fuel filler neck. its one larger 2 inch id rubber hose with a smaller 1.5 inch id hose inside that. the fuel travels thru the 1.5 inch hose, air travels back up the 2 inch id and out a vent.

the 38 gallon tank from LMC truck comes with provisions to mount the larger tank. it does not mention anything about the pickup line. the tank is deeper and the old pickup line won't reach the bottom of the new tank. i'm thinking about simply installing a length of rubber hose to reach the bottom of the new tank.

for the filler neck... the filler neck is bent at a 90 degree angle which would make it difficult to mount to the side of a flat bed. i'm thinking about cutting the 90 degree bend off and mounting it to the side of the bed, angled down slightly so fuel will travel down to the tank. then i'll pull the guts out of the neck and just use the 2 inch id hose to fill with fuel. i don't know how that will work. i'm sure air will be able to travel back up the hose. i don't know how the auto shut off on the fuel pump handle at the gas station would react.

for the fuel selector solenoid, i'm not sure how to tackle that. i might try and install a double ended barbed fitting and hose clamp the two ends of the fuel line onto that.

what say you?? has anyone done this before?
tpolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
BigRed390

Default Re: 80-96 f-series extra capacity fuel tank conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolley View Post

what say you?? has anyone done this before?
No, but I'm watching this with quite a bit of interest. May have to do it myself someday.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
mooseracing

Quote:
there's also rust on the bottom of the fuel filter bowl.

Seems odd, on my '94 they are alum or mag.

Quote:
i imagine the fuel filter is clogged.
Usually you start loosing power at travel speed, then it just won't start anymore.

Depending on where you get your fuel, but I change mine about every oil change, or every other.

For your tank, usually they include directions on what do with the sending unit. Make sure whatever you do the sock is on the end so you are sucking up that crap.

Also alot of people stick an e-pump on as it makes it easier to bleed the fuel lines on the truck or get it started once the square o-rings start leaking, return lines, etc.

Where is your low pressure at? Before or after the filter?
mooseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
tpolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseracing View Post
Seems odd, on my '94 they are alum or mag.
yup. the rust is from the tank. i unscrew the bowl from the old filter, clean the sh*t out of it with brake clean, then install in on the new filter. thats what i did two summers ago. i've driven it less than 3,000 miles since then.

Quote:
Usually you start loosing power at travel speed, then it just won't start anymore.
it seems to only act up once the front tank gets to about 1/4. starts surging then dies. if i switch to the rear tank before it dies it runs fine. the sender could be messed up, it could actually be out of fuel. i dropped the tank and it had 2-3 inches of fuel. it should have been well above the pickup line. i haven't driven it enough to be 100% on the symptoms. it used to be my daily driver but i bought a car and now the truck sits unless i'm hauling something which is rare. i never had a problem when it was my daily driver.

Quote:
Where is your low pressure at? Before or after the filter?
i don't know lol. there's a schrader valve on the top of the fuel filter housing. i remove the schrader valve thingy and slide a rubber hose over that then connect it to a fuel pressure gauge, start it and drive it.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
csp

Look into the '80-94 Bronco tank as an alternative. They are 32 gallon and it's a popular swap into the F-series trucks as a replacement for the rear tank.

Transfer flow also makes a much better filler tube/neck for these trucks. The problem with the stock fillers is the vent is inside the filler tube and it's too small. The TF fillers move the vent line to the outside of the fill tube, tying into the filler at the very top of it. I have one on my rear tank ('97 F250) and it made a huge difference.

There's a lot of DIY methods to do this same thing which can be found in any of the Ford Diesel forums. The TF fillers are a bit pricey, so it was a no brainer for someone to come up with a way that anyone can do this.
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Agent1320

Post pics of the new tank when you get it and let us know how it worked out for you. I've been considering ditching the dual tanks on my '83 F-250 in favor of a single 38 gallon tank. Mostly to do away with all the switch-over crap, extra lines, and old dirty tanks.
Agent1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
tpolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Look into the '80-94 Bronco tank as an alternative. They are 32 gallon and it's a popular swap into the F-series trucks as a replacement for the rear tank.

Transfer flow also makes a much better filler tube/neck for these trucks. The problem with the stock fillers is the vent is inside the filler tube and it's too small. The TF fillers move the vent line to the outside of the fill tube, tying into the filler at the very top of it. I have one on my rear tank ('97 F250) and it made a huge difference.

There's a lot of DIY methods to do this same thing which can be found in any of the Ford Diesel forums. The TF fillers are a bit pricey, so it was a no brainer for someone to come up with a way that anyone can do this.
yeah... $200-$300 for a transfer flow filler neck

LMC lists a 32 gallon tank for a bronco for $109. the straps are $80. the 38 gallon "extra capacity" tank is $179 and it comes with the straps. i'd have to do something with the pickup and sending unit either way. i don't know if a non diesel pickup and sending unit would work. there's no fuel pump in the tank on these trucks. i think the gasoline trucks all have a fuel pump built into the pickup and sending units...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
csp

Here's a writeup, which is probably the same 38gal you're looking at from LMC.

http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com/DZ...lonOBStank.htm

Dale at Tymar Performance sells a kit with the parts needed to convert your existing filler necks. Nothing is listed on his website, you have to call. www.tymarperformance.com

Here's a writeup on that mod:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...ltankvent.php3
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
tpolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Dale at Tymar Performance sells a kit with the parts needed to convert your existing filler necks. Nothing is listed on his website, you have to call. www.tymarperformance.com

Here's a writeup on that mod:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...ltankvent.php3
csp... you're my savior. my own personal jesus christ.

i've been looking for a filler neck or a way to modify mine for 3 years. i've checked ford-trucks.com and oilburners.net, google, you name it. i couldn't believe that NOBODY has ever done this.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
38Chevy454

It sounds like your pickup tube has a hole in it about 2-3 inches up. That is why you get surging when the tank is low but not empty. Given you have rust already with the tank, I bet your pickup tube is also rusted with a perforated hole.

My detached garage project:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66932

USA made high quality bear claw style latches - cheap:
http://www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Wackerjr

this is the tank you want
http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premiu...6923279&sr=8-1

Comes with all the straps etc to install, just put one in my 97, I believe this is listed for the cab and chassis so your flatbed should be great....You will need to pry the tube out of the filler (this is the hardest part to break the 2 spot welds)

you need a few fittings, easiest way is to get compression fittings and extend the pickup and return... I used a wire coat hanger to make a new sending unit very easy to do... under 2 hour job by myself....

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=30008

Gives you a very detailed right up....
Wackerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Norcal

Have you looked here?

http://www.transferflow.com/ford_fuel_tank_systems.html
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
ZRX61

Not sure who made it, but the rear tank on my '86 F350 is 40gal.

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote