Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Tscott

Default Gonna build a parts washer.

Here is the plan, I am going to take the sink pictured and turn it into a parts washer. I am not sure of the details yet, but I am going to get it this weekend. I will try to document the thread here in case anyone cares. I know I can buy one for $100 at HF, but when I am done with this it should be strong enough and have enough room to clean an entire engine, something that can probably not be said about the standard size parts washer most buy.

The rough plan it to pretty much keep the sink as it and to keep the spray nozzle for now, but I may plumb in a brush as well. I am going to explore the possibility of having a selectable drain. With the valve one way I could drain fluid from rear ends and transmissions into a catch basin and then set the valve to allow me to circulate parts cleaner through it and have it drain back to the cleaner drum under the sink. I will try to come up with a grate of some sort to go over the sink basin so I don't have to bend over so far to wash small stuff. I would also like to have a filter set up of some kind. Something simple and cheap like a trap to allow heavy stuff to settle out or maybe an old sock over the drain outlet to catch the big nasties before they get into the pump. I'll probably avoid paper filters since they can get expensive to replace and easy to clog if I am doing a lot of work.

What do you all think? Suggestions are welcome and encouraged. I'm getting the sink for $75 so I figure I can't go wrong at this point.

Tom
Tscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
jrsulo

Default Re: Gonna build a parts washer.

Sell the sink......its worth more than a parts washer would cost.
jrsulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
jrsulo

Sorry ....just read the whole thing.....my bad,keep doing what your doin !!!!!
jrsulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
54FordPanel

My parts washer is set up on a 35 gallon drum. Since your basin is so low, what kind of a drum do you have in mind to drain the solvent into, since it has to be lower than the drain?

You will definitely want a filter. My filter is a long tube, very similar to what HD has for water filters. You could adapt one of those.

You will also want the special hollow brush for scrubbing that feeds solvent thru the end of it.

I just use a round sheet metal plate with lots of holes punched in it to catch stuff from falling into the tank. A piece of screen would work too.

I can't picture how your selectable drain will work. I try to drain whatever fluids out of whatever I'm working on before it goes in the tank.

Post your results.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
RIVERWEST AUTO

i love it, i have seen a sonic engine cleaner about that size, it was home made as well. gm 90's g20 van/truck fuel pumps work well as a fluid transfer. the rest is up to you!
RIVERWEST AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Tscott

Quote:
i love it, i have seen a sonic engine cleaner about that size, it was home made as well. gm 90's g20 van/truck fuel pumps work well as a fluid transfer. the rest is up to you!
Interesting, I had not thought of a sonic cleaner. I may need to look into that.

Quote:
My parts washer is set up on a 35 gallon drum. Since your basin is so low, what kind of a drum do you have in mind to drain the solvent into, since it has to be lower than the drain?

You will definitely want a filter. My filter is a long tube, very similar to what HD has for water filters. You could adapt one of those.

You will also want the special hollow brush for scrubbing that feeds solvent thru the end of it.

I just use a round sheet metal plate with lots of holes punched in it to catch stuff from falling into the tank. A piece of screen would work too.

I can't picture how your selectable drain will work. I try to drain whatever fluids out of whatever I'm working on before it goes in the tank.
I am not sure about the drain yet either, I need to poke around Granger or a local plumbing house to figure out if it is possible or not.

I do think I will plumb in a brush as you suggest I may try to run it off the end of the existing faucet or I may "T" off so I can scrub with the brush and rinse with the faucet. I'm not sure yet.

I am also not sure on the basin yet either. Depending on the height of the sink I may try to mount it in one of the my work benches I use for tear down. This would give me more height for a smaller drum underneath. The local Ace sells small plastic drums maybe 20 gallons, I may try one of those.

Tom
Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Tscott

Ok, looking at the tank closer, I do not think I can manage the switchable drain valve. I am going to simplify the install to get up and running cleaning parts.

I have 2 questions.

1. Will standard parts cleaner eat a plastic 5 gallon bucket. I plan to use the solvent from tractor supply.

2. Does anyone know of a parts washer pump that is not submersible? I would like to be able to draw solvent straight out of the bucket it comes in.

Tom