Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
SlowandLow63

Send a message via AIM to SlowandLow63
Default Help on installing a Modine gas heater.

First post and I'm firing off questions.

I recently bought a Modine propane/gas heater to heat a large shop I was planning on moving into. Well, the move never happened but the heater did, so now I'd like to hook it up in my garage that I rent. I believe its wround a 75KBTU unit and should hopefully heat my 3.5 car garage easily.

I plan to run propane because I don't have a gas line running to the garage and I rwent the place. I figure propane should have a slightly smaller footprint when I install it. I need to know everything. What size tank and where do I get one? Kind of line from tank to heater? Safetys involved? DO i need just plain duct work form HD from the exhaust to the outdoors?

Basically I need a walkthrough on this whole process. Thanks.
SlowandLow63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
crowldawg

Default Re: Help on installing a Modine gas heater.

I just bought a 60,000 Btu Modine today .I am going to help the contractor install it so I should have more info next week if you still need it .I know the contractor and getting everything at cost
Tomorrow I am going to contact the local propane dealer and order the largest tank they have .I have room under my deck which is next to the garage. I'm going to let the propane guys fool with the lines .I don't need to blow myself up.
Propane is my only option ,street gas is no where near me
BTW my shop only needed 2 things heat and air .I will have both before the end of the year. I got the air from the classifieds on this board

Last edited by crowldawg; 12-13-2007 at 06:52 PM.
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
ponjohn

You can either rent or buy a tank, the tank should be at least 100 gallon (NOT 100 pound). A brand new tank is 500.00 (100 gallon) near me or like 5.00 month plus propane.

You will then need a regulator, the regulator connects to the tank and through a 1/2" flexible copper line it connects to the black pipe.

The black pipe will be run to the heater, you will need a drip leg and connect the black pipe to heater through a flexible hose, like the one used on a gas stove.

You will need shut-offs and disconnect unions strategically located.
ponjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
crowldawg

That exactly why I'm letting the propane guys do the gas installation
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
mulepackin

You need to make sure your heater is in fact set up for propane and not natural gas, different orifices and different regulator spring. You should be able to find propane suppliers in your yellow pages. They will help you determine size of tank, location, etc. as well as cost, and they may have a preference on line type and size. They may even install line and heater for you. Some do, some don't, some contract it out, or at least put you in touch with someone who can do it. The venting needs to be Type B gas appliance venting. Your installation manual shows pretty detailed specs on various installation configurations. If you don't have your manual, it can be downloaded off the net at various sites.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
sr71

75k btu will heat a 1000 sq. garage - no problem. things to think about: black pipe is cheap but time consuming (expensive) to install. Alternative is coated stainless (flexible) pipe. Expensive to buy but easy to install..... for sure you have to vent it using type B-pipe (you can go horizontal or vertical).... horizontal requires a special adapter to pass through the wall and must be installed on a slope to minimize condensation buildup, etc. If you know when you will be in there working I'd recommend a programmable thermostat.....(only $30-40). Plan on a weekend to install if you are doing by yourself.

www.legacygarage.com
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote