Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
jammerr316

Default wanting to build a decent cheap garage

I'm wanting to build a decent cheap freestanding garage. I've been given a $5000 budget and I'm in w.pa. I have all the free labor I want. I can also do the floor later. Basically I want to have as much room as possible, etc. But the wife says the outside must be finished. However she is not picky as to whether to use vinyl siding, t-111, or even rough cut barn type siding. I need some advice on what to go with. I figure a pole garage is best bet. Hoping for at least a 24x32. What do you all think?
jammerr316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
6768rogues

Default Re: wanting to build a decent cheap garage

Since you are in PA, there are many places to get reasonably priced steel siding. I am in western NY and it is sometimes cheaper to have it trucked from PA than buying it locally. Seconds are sometimes available for even less money, and it comes cut to length for a waste free installation.
Find a copy of Lancaster Farming, a newspaper type publication, and you will find plenty of vendors.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
brownbagg

my 24 x 30 metal building was only $4800
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
jammerr316

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
NOMAD

Are you saying a dirt floor is ok for now or were you just talking about skipping the epoxy?
Dig and pour foundation footers, or pour a slab. Stick build and use plans that will let you add bracing etc in certain areas if you decide to hang things from the ceiling etc. Best thing to do is to build it to the exact specs of the lumber you'll use. Make the entire building based on standard sizes and you'll have less waste and get more for your money.

Spend money on the exterior siding paint etc. so the wife's happy. Interior can be totally stripped and you'll still have a garage right?

Think ahead and add areas and items you think you may usein the future. For instance, sink piping and drainage for plumbing, wiring etc even if you cap it off for now.
NOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
jammerr316

dirt floor is ok for now. I'm not sure a stick build with footers will fit my budget. I am also trying to think ahead like you said and was planning the piping etc. I just want the max for my budget. Basically, I dont want to end up with something too small. I dont think there would be any point to that, I would be better off waiting. I do believe I can do something in this price range. Anyone ever used rough cut barn type siding. With the slats etc, I cant think of the term for this type. Just wondering if it would be cheaper than vinyl siding
Old 01-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
bdks

I checked out this company about 5 years ago and was going to build 40 X60 for decent price.

http://www.bcibarns.com/index.shtml

Last edited by bdks; 01-04-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: forgot the link
bdks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
D KRAGER

Pole building is going to be your cheapest route to get what you want. If you can wait on the floor. For a cheap floor for the time being..... I've seen guys put down wet lime and compact it. When it dries it gets pretty hard. Low budget idea.

I've had a pole building for 3 years and just now got concrete poured in the back section. Doing it as money allows.
D KRAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Tscott

Concrete will likely cost almost as much as the building. So if you go the route of a steel building, you will need to supply something to anchor it to. This means either pour the entire floor now or put in concrete pilings to anchor it to. You may be able to get the steel building for $5000, but the floor will run you another $3500. My vote would be a pole barn, Build the roof and close it in as money allows and then when you get more cash have the floor poured either all at once or even in sections. Pole barns are the easiest way to break the project up into pieces to allow more affordable construction.

just my $.02

Tom
Tscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
rsanter

after some though about this. I think the cheapest way would be to put up one of those carports. you can get then double wide and double deep. get some more of the siding so you can continue the side down to the ground and then close the ends with stick framing.

after that I would say the pole barn that you complete in phases.

also remember, you will never have enough room. when you build do so with the thought of later expansion. with some forthought you could expand without it looking like you did.

bob