Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
BLACK DEATH

Default Snap On CT3850 18 volt 1/2" cordless impact, is it junk?

I got this tool in trade but it seems it has no balls at all. It seems to charge fine but who knows about the battery. Does anyone know what kind of torque this tool puts out? I can trade back what we traded but is this tool worth a damn? Whats it worth also? Has case, charger & one battery. Need some good input guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120127_204302.jpg (111.9 KB, 73 views)
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
GeorgiaHybrid

Default Re: Snap On CT3850 18 volt 1/2" cordless impact, is it junk?

Mine does a good enough job on lug nuts and similar torqued fasteners. It looks like yours had the original battery and that might be a little weak. You can get them rebuilt at Batteries Plus or get an adapter from Snap-on and use the newer style slide on battery.

I use mine on mowers, the tractor, changing a flat on the road or anything else away from the airtools at the shop. It is not as strong as one of the newer battery impacts from Snap-on but it is not a slug either.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
MD11

don't know about the 3850, but my newer 6850 with 18v Nikcad can take lugs nuts off a semi without any serious effort.

My Tool Box/Garage
My Truck
MD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
GSteg

I've used those guns before and they should have some power behind them. The batteries may be exhausted already, but note that it was only rated for 210 ft-lbs, half of what the newer stuff can do.
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH

Whats this adapter you are talking about? What batteries & charger would i need also? Got any part numbers?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Danglerb

Joke around the shop is that tools have air hoses, vibrators have batteries. Its not an air tool, but it should still pop off lug nuts. Idea is that its a handy easier to use tool that works 90% of the time, but doesn't replace an air impact.

If the battery is good and it doesn't have the torque to suit you, its not the tool for you. Maybe see if you can test it with a known good battery?

Depends on what you traded too. I don't like to go back on a trade if I can avoid it though, better to find somebody else to trade it to for something else.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
johninct

It is 1/2 as powerful as the newer ones but it is still pretty powerful. I use mine to take off 32 lug nuts on my F 350 that have been torqued to 140 ft lb and it does fine. The problem may not be the battery, but the gun needs to be rebuilt.
johninct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
tkonetzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD11 View Post
don't know about the 3850, but my newer 6850 with 18v Nikcad can take lugs nuts off a semi without any serious effort.
Really? My 6 month old well cared for mg725 has all
it can do to remove many of them.
tkonetzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
sdguy55

The newer ones of those can do just about everything the 1/2 air guns can do. Only problem is they are pretty fricken heavy...even the Li-Ion ones.
sdguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
BLACK DEATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninct View Post
It is 1/2 as powerful as the newer ones but it is still pretty powerful. I use mine to take off 32 lug nuts on my F 350 that have been torqued to 140 ft lb and it does fine. The problem may not be the battery, but the gun needs to be rebuilt.
I didnt want to hear that? "It may be the gun", as it couldnt remove lug nuts from my truck that be torqed under 100#s. It didnt seem to spin fast but i cant tell rpms from my eyes only .... id rather trade back as he said we could if i didnt like it. I traded a softball bat & new softballs for it valued around $150. This tool could get very expensive to get working correctly with a rebuild or even a battery. Id rather invest in a milwaukee as i have the batteries already or other 18 volt lithium impact, even the C3 from craftsman hits harder than this one at the moment.

Im going to discharge the battery fully & then fully charge it up. Lets see what happens after that. If not it will go back. I like the case though.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
MD11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkonetzke View Post
Really? My 6 month old well cared for mg725 has all
it can do to remove many of them.
you got enough air pressure behind it? IF you're using a small compressor that could be why. Break away torque on both is close to the same figure.

My Tool Box/Garage
My Truck
Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
tkonetzke

More than enough air in the shop. Air hose could be better, but im using what they give us. What are said lugnuts torqued at? When you say semi I think 475ft-lbs. Which I don't think any cordless will be able to move. I know some advertise breakaway torque higher than 475, but it takes considerably more than 475 to break a fastener loose that is torqued to 475, especially if its been out on the road a while.
Breakaway rating is 1190 for mg725. Which doesn't mean much in reality. They may have achieved it with 200psi and 1 inch airline. I think the advertise working torque around 800something. Which is still well above any cordless I've seen breakaway rating

Last edited by tkonetzke; 01-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.
tkonetzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
MD11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkonetzke View Post
More than enough air in the shop. Air hose could be better, but im using what they give us. What are said lugnuts torqued at? When you say semi I think 475ft-lbs. Which I don't think any cordless will be able to move. I know some advertise breakaway torque higher than 475, but it takes considerably more than 475 to break a fastener loose that is torqued to 475, especially if its been out on the road a while.
Breakaway rating is 1190 for mg725. Which doesn't mean much in reality. They may have achieved it with 200psi and 1 inch airline. I think the advertise working torque around 800something. Which is still well above any cordless I've seen breakaway rating
Breakaway on the chord less is in the mid 600's... and continuous at 400.. specifically designed for "up to" Semi's .. they spec'd it for this. Maybe I shouldn't' have said "Serious Effort" in my original response, since the tool is putting in a lot of effort.... It's me that's not!

Is this better than going with a 1" air gun? no... will it "do the job" .. yes.

My Tool Box/Garage
My Truck

Last edited by MD11; 01-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
Whats this adapter you are talking about? What batteries & charger would i need also? Got any part numbers?
Here is the adapter:

Slide On Adapter

To use these batteries:

Slide On Battery
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
BLACK DEATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Here is the adapter:

Slide On Adapter

To use these batteries:

Slide On Battery
What about the charger & no lithium battery? I think its the gunbut who knows. Its well used.