To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Champion Forge Drill Press Jacobs Chuck Threads?

rodknocker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
281
Location
Rochester,NY
My goal is to fill my garage with old American made tools and get rid of the off shore ones. Today I picked up this hand crank Champion Forge drill press. Here's a video I found of one being used, once I saw it I was hooked.
. My question is is there a finer thread than 1/2"-20 ? the chuck on it is very out of round and needs replaced, so I tried to swap my ryobi 1/2 chuck of of my drill press which I know is 1/2-20 but it wasn't happening, and I didn't want to booger up the threads by forcing it. Does anyone know what possible thread pitch I have, and where can I get a good American made chuck? Here a pic of the threads
 

Attachments

  • Champion Forge 002.jpg
    Champion Forge 002.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

ndnchf

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
1,556
Location
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I too have a Champion Blower and Forge hand crank, but your's must be newer than mine. On mine the quill and chuck are machined as a single piece and it only takes 1/2" shank bits.

Definitely check the threads with a thread gauge. There is a National extra fine thread that is 1/2"-28. But I doubt you'll find a chuck in that size.
 

Attachments

  • aw138b.jpg
    aw138b.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 10
OP
R

rodknocker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
281
Location
Rochester,NY
I too have a Champion Blower and Forge hand crank, but your's must be newer than mine. On mine the quill and chuck are machined as a single piece and it only takes 1/2" shank bits.

Definitely check the threads with a thread gauge. There is a National extra fine thread that is 1/2"-28. But I doubt you'll find a chuck in that size.
I'm thinking that the chuck shaft may not be original.My drill is slightly different than yours, that thread size does make sense though. I'm going to try to get home and check it at lunch.
 

Attachments

  • 13782-D.jpg
    13782-D.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 13

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
While your there get a picture of the chuck you have. Is it the old style that has the chuck fingers riding on the end of the spindle, like the one that you have in the utube?

lg
no neat sig line
 

ndnchf

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
1,556
Location
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I wonder if your drill started out like mine, but someone cut off the original chuck and threaded it for a more modern chuck. It may have seemed like a good way to modernize it 50 years ago.

What model is yours? Mine's a model "4-1/2"
 
OP
R

rodknocker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
281
Location
Rochester,NY
The thread pitch is 1/2-24, sorry I didn't get the picture of the original chuck. It looked like a spped chuck with 2 holes in the top of it. After searching the internet for awhile it looks like what I'll have to do is buy a 3/8" mount chuck, drill it out and tap it to 1/2-20. Not the end of the world I guess.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
The thread pitch is 1/2-24, sorry I didn't get the picture of the original chuck. It looked like a spped chuck with 2 holes in the top of it. After searching the internet for awhile it looks like what I'll have to do is buy a 3/8" mount chuck, drill it out and tap it to 1/2-20. Not the end of the world I guess.

You mean 1/2-24 don't you?

Is the spindle as simple as it looks in the pics? If so, can you make or have a another made?
 

larry_g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
16,938
Location
oregon
When I need a chuck for my old Champion DP I found a hand drill like pictured and moved the chuck to the drill press. So keep your eye open for a hand drill. If you get one with a good chuck that fits your in luck. If not then you have a hand drill that is perfect for holding a champher tool to debur holes.

lg
no neat sig line
 

Attachments

  • HPIM4033.jpg
    HPIM4033.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 4

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
Larry is onto something here!

I also have a chuck on a handle, but I made mine from an old file handle, and an inexpensive chuck and arbor setup. Std 1/2 fine thread though.

attachment.php



However, I just checked out my collection of hand drills, and all but one were too small.

This one has a 24 thread, BUT it is 9/16 shaft. You may want to double check the thread diameter on yours as it's really easy to miss unless you are using calipers.

And yes that is a star bit in it and yes, I do use it for driving star bit deck screws. :D


attachment.php


So once you find the right matching hand drill type/size, you should be able to find one and "borrow" its chuck
 

Attachments

  • Deburring tool.jpg
    Deburring tool.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 70
  • MF Hand dril sml.jpg
    MF Hand dril sml.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
R

rodknocker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
281
Location
Rochester,NY
You mean 1/2-24 don't you?

Is the spindle as simple as it looks in the pics? If so, can you make or have a another made?
Yeap thats what I meant, these tap numbers, been messing me up all day. The spindle is amazingly simple, just the wrong thread.
 
OP
R

rodknocker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
281
Location
Rochester,NY
When I need a chuck for my old Champion DP I found a hand drill like pictured and moved the chuck to the drill press. So keep your eye open for a hand drill. If you get one with a good chuck that fits your in luck. If not then you have a hand drill that is perfect for holding a champher tool to debur holes.

lg
no neat sig line

Good idea Larry, I have an old egg beater drill at my mothers house I'll have to check it.
 

tool_scrounge

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
4,268
Location
Southern California
Is the end of the 1/2-24 shaft counterbored as shown in the photos below? I have been staring at this chuck for years and always wondered what it went on.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4573.JPG
    IMG_4573.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4574.JPG
    IMG_4574.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 11

Outlawmws

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
39,736
Location
The Badlands
The smaller egg beater drills are unlikely to have a shank that large, The shoulder drill I pictured is my biggest (note the side handle and second set of gearing on the crank wheel, its a two speed drill.

Tool scrounge, the drill head that you pictured is essentially the same as both the one on the file handle I pictured, and as the design of the one on my hand crank drill. Both have hollow shanks.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom