Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
evintho

Cool Questions on using Purple Power in my parts washer.

It's time for a solvent change in my parts washer. This being California, mineral spirits and any kind of industrial degreaser costs a fortune! 5 gals of Purple Power @ Autozone is $25! I'll be cleaning lots of greasy car parts. Anyone use Purple Power?
How powerful is it?
Do you use it straight or dilute it?
How long will it last with the lid closed?
Does it stink?
Will it cause problems in the pump motor?

Any thoughts and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
cotjocky

Default Re: Questions on using Purple Power in my parts washer.

I've used Purple Power (also Super Clean - Same thing) to clean up a lot of greasy parts. I've never used it in a parts washer though. It will do a good job cleaning, but you will turn around and need to give it a thorough rinse with water after; such as with a water hose.

I don't know if I would say it is as strong or as good as submerging it in a parts wash, but I'd say it is a close equivalent.

It will chew up your hands if it stays on them awhile. You will need to use chemical gloves if you want to have any skin left after lengthy sessions, but the same goes with most parts wash.

It doesn't stink to me, but I doubt it's good for you to breath for extended periods of time. Same as with parts wash.

I don't think it staying poured out of the bottle will make it less effective, nor do I believe you'd have to worry about it drying up anymore than parts wash.

I also don't think it would be any more aggressive on the pump seals than parts wash would be. Although it is possible the purple power might foam up some if being circulated in a pump (agitating it).

Maybe someone else can chime in?
cotjocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Larwyn

I have one of the small 3 gallon parts washers from Horror Fright which I modified with water heater heating element. I filled it with Purple Power because that is less expensive than Simple Green. The heating element is set to turn off at 100 degrees f (switches back on around 75 degrees I think). I have mostly only used it on old bicycle parts but it does a great job on them. There seems to be very little loss of level over the last year and as I filled it with undiluted cleaner it would hurt little to add a bit of water if needed to bring it back up to the fill line. It has cleaned off dried up grease and grime from 50 or 60 year old parts in my heated tank. As for odor, the Purple Power is not a problem, it's the stuff that gets mixed in with it that could likely cause some odor problems but so far mine just smells like Purple Power. Like someone else mentioned, it can be rough on your hands so gloves might be a good idea.
Larwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
bseant

i use the simple green purple stuff in my parts washer and it does fine. I use about a quart in my 20gal parts washer. No problems with my hands i don't use any gloves, although u will get greasy. I also use a aquarium heater to warm up my water in my tank, and seems to help cut the grease a little faster with warm water.
bseant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Danglerb

Give it a try, make sure its fully rinsed off, maybe dry it with a blow off air gun. Use some caution that parts could flash rust with 100% of the oil removed.

When I work with Simple Green I keep a couple spray bottles handy with various stronger concentrations, as well as a spray bottle of water.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
chris142

What about diesel fuel?
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Crow Horse

Just something to consider. Some of these cleaners, as good as they are, don't like aluminum.......
Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Gort the giant robot

I use to use diesel when it was 15 cents a gallon back in the early 1970s. I was working in a wrecking yard at about the same time. Back then people did not drain the gas out of the clunkers before selling them for scrap. We had far more gas than we needed, so we used it for washing parts. Not the safest thing to do now that i think back bout it.

Gort the giant robot, or am i ?

Gort the giant robot.
Gort the giant robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
bobcatdan

I bought simple green or something, the name will not come to me to fill my el cheapo 20 gallon parts washer. This stuff is on display right next to the parts washer. It was water based of some sort. In two years time it ate the parts washer. I should have put kerosene in it, that stuff works good.
bobcatdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
JASTECH

I used Simple Green then do to cost went to Castrol Super Clean, still have about a gallon left, lol
It does work good, maybe a citrus cleaner by Zep?
JASTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Kenwc

Pretty sure Purple Pwr contains lye which is why it eats hands and aluminum.
Kenwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
kippieland

I use Spray and Wash laundry stain remover. Eats grease/dirt like nobodies business...plus its cheap and smell go. Won't hurt any metal.
kippieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
4BT

Home Depot sells the ZEP equivalent Purple Industrial Degreaser in 5 gallon jugs as well.
4BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
geologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort the giant robot View Post
I use to use diesel when it was 15 cents a gallon back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.
Fixed that for you.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
Tom_20m

If you have a tractor supply around you, they sell a degreaser in 5 gallon bucket for 40 bucks. I personally have not used it, but opted for the diesel fuel.
Tom_20m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
Hephaestus29

I wouldn't use that crap on anything, I used Simple Green prior to ever using Purple Power & it always worked good & doesn't fade your paint lke purple power will. Auto Zone was pushing that crap a while back & I told them exactly what i thought about it, & that they should be pushing Simple Green instead.
Hephaestus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #17
cotjocky

Autozone employees push whatever corporate tells them to push. I have a few friends that work there. They are under a lot of pressure to sell that crap that is on the counter at a discounted price when you check out. Usually fuel injector cleaner or some kind of $20 combo deal.
cotjocky is offline   Reply With Quote