Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Hephaestus29

Default Bad Hair Cuts

How many people are sick & tired of getting bad haircuts ? I mean seriously what the hell are they teaching these students ?

When I was 20 or 21 I had a lady that cut my hair & did a great job she would even wash it, brush all the hair off my face etc. & never once did I not give her a tip. Unfortunetly she moved to South Carolina on me so I was forced to go to great clips for a little while, but was not satisfied with them & kept getting different people all the time, so I got myself some clippers & started giving myself a flat top & have done so for the past 10 years. Well I am kind of sick of not having any hair so I let it grow back out & go to get a haircut based on what my friend & neighbor said. She did a terrible job & was just about to cut off my eyebrows, I mean what the hell was she thinking & who the hell taught her that mens eyebrows should be cut off ?? I mean i'm only 43 & it's not like I have big bushy eyebrows, I mean she didn't even ask & she was just one inch from cutting my eyebrows off & would have if I hadn't stuck my arm out to stop her. I shouldn't have paid her for for the haircut but I did & went home & cut it all off again.
I let it grow back out again went to great clips again & she didn't even bother brushing the hair off my face, I mean what do you have to do to get a good haircut these days ???
Hephaestus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
NitroPress

Default Re: Bad Hair Cuts

You're just not going to get a good haircut, consistently, from any of the $10-a-cut places. I went to Supercuts for years when my hair was more forgiving and got anything from A+ to C- cuts, randomly, from the same small group of cutters.

My hair is VERY difficult to cut and when I find a cutter I will chase him/her from salon to salon and town to town as long as I can... but sooner or later they get their degree or their RN or Hollywood contract and I have to start the search again. This time it was my move across country... I'm on my third cutter in eight months and not sure she's the right one yet.

It's a PITA, even if you have more ordinary hair... but if you go to McHaircut, you get, well, a mchaircut. You don't have to pay a fortune, but you do have to get out of the places whose ad budget exceeds their payroll.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
SIDECAR BOB

wish I still needed haircuts.......
SIDECAR BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Bronson

Back in the 80's My girlfriend talked Me into getting a perm............
The (hot) chick that did it screwed up, and I ended up with the Fro that The Jackson Five would have killed for.
I was the hippest White Boy in the hood!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
kerfball

the difference between a good cut and a bad cut is about 2 weeks i quit going couple years ago, i buzz it myself
kerfball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Syndicate
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Syndicate

The best damn haircut ever
047.jpg
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Bull
Super Moderator

I cut my own hair, with one of those trimmers to which you can add attachments to determine the length of hair, up to 1".

It's good enough for me, and by my calculations has saved me around $1500 since I started doing it.

EUDAIMONIA
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
P.Allan

I am 77 and still got all my hair and don't much care what it looks like. In the winter it ends up way down over my ears and then in the spring I go to a rather young man/barber and he really shortens it a lot -- hey look my motorcycle helmet fits again. I would not go to a Women/barber -- they don't know anything about any of my hobbies and I can likely out cook a lot of them.

Did I just say some Women are dumb You know I didn't mean to
P.Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
CitadelBlue

the difference between a "good" haircut and and "bad" haircut is 2 week ....
CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Jagmandave

I'm with NitroPress, if I find someone who does a good job, I try to follow him, and I always overtip to make sure he remembers me. I've had the same guy for over 5 years now, and guess where he's always worked? Yep, Great Clips.

However, on the odd occasion when I let someone else cut it, it came out horribly! Learned my lesson there....

Now I always call and make sure he's there before I go. One evening I walked in and the place was pretty crowded, there were about 9 people waiting and guess what - they all were waiting for my guy - the other stylists were NOT happy either.

He stayed late to finish up everyone and as I was the last one I gave him an extra $20 - worth it to me.......
Jagmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Syndicate
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Syndicate

I have the salon students do mine. I am balding anyhow, so it does not much matter, although they do get graded on it. I like that it helps someone out. They only charge 4 bucks for it. I give them 10. They seem to do a good enough job for me.
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
jvitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
Back in the 80's My girlfriend talked Me into getting a perm............
The (hot) chick that did it screwed up, and I ended up with the Fro that The Jackson Five would have killed for.
I was the hippest White Boy in the hood!

Thanks! That was damn funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Allan View Post
I am 77 and still got all my hair and don't much care what it looks like. In the winter it ends up way down over my ears and then in the spring I go to a rather young man/barber and he really shortens it a lot -- hey look my motorcycle helmet fits again. I would not go to a Women/barber -- they don't know anything about any of my hobbies and I can likely out cook a lot of them.

Did I just say some Women are dumb You know I didn't mean to

Love the post! Also damn funny, and true.

I'm going bald, fair sized vertex bald spot though still have reasonable amounts in front. But the hair is getting pretty wispy on top. Same story: hit and miss from the same gal, though she did have nice cleavage...... I finally found an older barber in a tiny shop, speaks with a noticeable Ukrainian accept, and cuts my hair better than I've had in years. Barber, not "stylist." I think that's the difference.

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
dlenkewich

Funny timing.

I had a favorite hair dresser who did my 'ceasers' (little on top, shaved sides). She was excellent, even faded the sides from a '1' to a '2'(whatever that means) and it looked great and she did it fast. She always got a $5 tip.

Well they were busy last week, and I didn't feel comfortable asking to wait for her specifically so I just thought everyone there would be of like mind so it couldn't be to different. I was wrong, got this girl who took 45 minutes to give me what she thought was a ceaser. Even after I tried to coach her a little, I just gave up and wanted to get out of the chair, I was too embarassed to even speak of my disatisfaction so I paid and left. I went straight home and took my personal groomer and shaved my head right down to a buzz cut.

I'll just be buzzing it myself for the next little while, I'm turned off of paying for haircuts for a while. I was feeling a little blue that day and I was craving that 'million bucks' feeling that a fresh haircut gives a guy.
dlenkewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
metaldad

boy2 actually paid for this...............

he just had another yesterday. haven't got a pic, but now he's into rockabilly greaser.
metaldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestus29 View Post
How many people are sick & tired of getting bad haircuts ? I mean seriously what the hell are they teaching these students ?

When I was 20 or 21 I had a lady that cut my hair & did a great job she would even wash it, brush all the hair off my face etc. & never once did I not give her a tip. Unfortunetly she moved to South Carolina on me so I was forced to go to great clips for a little while, but was not satisfied with them & kept getting different people all the time, so I got myself some clippers & started giving myself a flat top & have done so for the past 10 years. Well I am kind of sick of not having any hair so I let it grow back out & go to get a haircut based on what my friend & neighbor said. She did a terrible job & was just about to cut off my eyebrows, I mean what the hell was she thinking & who the hell taught her that mens eyebrows should be cut off ?? I mean i'm only 43 & it's not like I have big bushy eyebrows, I mean she didn't even ask & she was just one inch from cutting my eyebrows off & would have if I hadn't stuck my arm out to stop her. I shouldn't have paid her for for the haircut but I did & went home & cut it all off again.
I let it grow back out again went to great clips again & she didn't even bother brushing the hair off my face, I mean what do you have to do to get a good haircut these days ???
She was just going to trim them up even No way was she going to buzz them off to nothing
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Outlander

Found a small shop near the cottage run by a 'biker girl' who cuts hair for $12. She gets my buisness, and I never complain :-)
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Honda guy

I've been getting my hair cut by the same person since 1988 (except for a 4 yr period when we moved back to Minnesota). She's an older asian lady, who learned how to speak english, here in the south and sounds like a cross between Jackie Chann and Larry the Cable Guy. Anyhow, she washes/cuts my hair, trims my facial hair, powders my neck, and sometimes comes in early or stays late, depending on my schedule. Good haircut and good conversation for $12+tip
Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
William Payne

Im 23 and I only go to two hairdressers, one who has cut my hair since I was a really little kid and another who I may start going to all the time as he does good work who is a guy who has cut hair for 30 years. I can't go to the younger hairdressers, I just want a haircut I don't care about style and I don't understand all the fancy words. If I go to the younger hairdresser and ask for a haircut they are lost they only know their fancy things.
William Payne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
walrus

My wife cuts mine, good or bad I don't say shit about it
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

no metrosexual zone
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
pcgold

My hairstylist's name is Jill. Last name Lette. I've been using her for about a decade now. Not once has she let me down. Once in a while she cuts me, but I put up with it. She's not much of a conversationalist. In fact she can get quite dull sometimes. On the other hand, she does have a razor sharp wit.
pcgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
lotsoftools

I'm going to start going to the community college hair salon. It's just down the hall from my welding class, and they only charge $3
lotsoftools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
hdshinn

Haircut? Waste of time and money. Jest keeps growin' back, another trip to town to mow it back, .....

Life gets tedgious, don't it?

Cheers
Dennis
hdshinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
koditten

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Yeah, mine too. I effed up and married my hair cutter. Guess who tells me when I need a hair cut and how short I can get it? It ain't me.

I happen to be the only male in my family that has his "original" hair or isn't bald. The irony of the thing is I wish I was bald or was allowed a brush cut or shave. It is a royal pain wearing a hard hat all day with longish hair.

The wife thinks if I get it cut short, it may not grow back. Is it really that bad being bald?

The shit I do, I could care less about a good or bad haircut. I just want it short! Maybe when I get to my 50's I will go bald.
koditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
wintermute

Here's one for you. Mike Shank (team owner, Michael Shank Racing) bet AJ Almendinger that if they won the Rolex 24, he would shave AJ's logo into his hair.

They won, and a bet's a bet.

"Anything that's worth building is worth overbuilding." — Jack Olsen

"A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first."

My Carport Conversion Thread | The Coffee Table Racing Seat Build
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
nehog

I too cut my own hair...

Oh, wait, I don't have any hair!

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

http://www.peterhipson.com

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
vhol5

Same girl's been doin mine for a few years now. Once, when she was having a bad day, (going though a divorce), and butchered my hair. She apologized profusely, but I didn't mind any. SHE'S HOT!
vhol5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
slip knot

Wife cuts my hair. Always lokks good on saturday when we cut it but sometimes when we sober up on Sunday it kinda like WTF was she thinking? I wear a ball cap or hard hat all the time so it really doesn't matter.

Went to a fasmily reunion some years back with a less than good cut and the inlaws got to kiddin me about it. I told them she was practicing on me before trimming the dog's hair!!
slip knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #29
american lockpicker
Banned

I have a good barber but usually I have my mother do it. I keep it 1/4 inch so its easy to maintain.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
I cut my own hair, with one of those trimmers to which you can add attachments to determine the length of hair, up to 1".

It's good enough for me, and by my calculations has saved me around $1500 since I started doing it.
Same here. In about 5 cuts it'd paid for itself.

Does the same job as the barber was doing before, but at no cost.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
Gregishome

Remember the "Flowbies" tool sold to cut ones own hair with a power clippers/vacuum rig ?
Gregishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
Rickster

Just wait until the hair starts growing out of your ears... you'll really freak out the first time she starts cutting there!

My Tool Sale Thread and My eBay Sales

Mustang Project

Ricksters Seller Feedback
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #33
Toolhorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagmandave View Post
I'm with NitroPress, if I find someone who does a good job, I try to follow him, and I always overtip to make sure he remembers me. I've had the same guy for over 5 years now, and guess where he's always worked? Yep, Great Clips.

However, on the odd occasion when I let someone else cut it, it came out horribly! Learned my lesson there....

Now I always call and make sure he's there before I go. One evening I walked in and the place was pretty crowded, there were about 9 people waiting and guess what - they all were waiting for my guy - the other stylists were NOT happy either.

He stayed late to finish up everyone and as I was the last one I gave him an extra $20 - worth it to me.......
That's funny I have a little old Vietnamese lady that's been doing my hair for several years and she works at Great Clips. I do the same thing. I know her schedule and they know I only get my cuts from her. She usually has waiters too. I try to tip her good, last time I went in I told her that if I ever win the lottery or get rich I'll just move her to my mansion and have her live there and she can do my family's hair and I'll take care of her.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #34
DYNA BILL
Banned

[IMG][/IMG]
DYNA BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
KermitFrog

Oh the days of the Korean haircuts... :wink:

Now I just do the technical college haircut - $5, no tip. That's that. Not out to impress anyone besides #1. The wife knows I look good no matter what haircut I have as long as I don't shave it again.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #36
OccupantRJ

I have been getting my hair cut at the same old school barber shop for 20 years, at first by my favorite barber, then when he retired, by his partner. Since I have moved from that town, I drive 45 minutes one way to get there. When ddawg16 was in the area, he asked me to recommend a barber, so I sent him there also. This is a man's man barber shop, as they use compressed air to blow the loose hair off.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
bigbubba

I shave my head now so no need for a barber.When i was young and single i used to go to this hot older redheaded barber(Only cut men's hair)She would give me a nice flat top and most times would end up sitting on my lap cutting my hair.Sadly she married a rich guy from up north and leftSure glad the place was her's cause we got caught in the tanning bed once"checking the bulbs"

John F. Kennedy

If you absolutely have to fight, punch first and punch hard.

My Grandpa Rusty

call me what ever you like. if i get offended then i shouldn't be online
bigbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #38
Toolhorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupantRJ View Post
I have been getting my hair cut at the same old school barber shop for 20 years, at first by my favorite barber, then when he retired, by his partner. Since I have moved from that town, I drive 45 minutes one way to get there. When ddawg16 was in the area, he asked me to recommend a barber, so I sent him there also. This is a man's man barber shop, as they use compressed air to blow the loose hair off.
Reminds me of the place my dad used to take me as a kid. You got to pick whatever style you wanted as long as it was a flat top. The guys were all vets and they used to hang out like it was a bar or something. Old school shop. I miss it now though although as a kid I hated that place.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #39
jhelrey

#1... buzzed... no screw ups possible
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #40
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelrey View Post
#1... buzzed... no screw ups possible
Ya, exactly. I don't even need to look in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stanley Hooker
One stroke to produce power and three strokes to wear it out.
A_Pmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
jvitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubba View Post
I shave my head now so no need for a barber.When i was young and single i used to go to this hot older redheaded barber(Only cut men's hair)She would give me a nice flat top and most times would end up sitting on my lap cutting my hair.Sadly she married a rich guy from up north and leftSure glad the place was her's cause we got caught in the tanning bed once"checking the bulbs"
Now that's funny right there!

There's more humour in this thread than I've read on GJ in ages.

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
Rudyjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupantRJ View Post
My dad took me to his barber shop that he had gone to for years for my first hair cut. The shop owners nephew had just immigrated from Italy and was the new guy cutting hair, so they let him cut mine. That was in 1958 and the same fine gentleman cut my hair my entire life until he became to ill to continue working, he passed away last year. He turned out to be probably one of the best barbers in Columbus Ohio and was known by about everyone in town. Many fond memories of the conversations that took place in his shop through the years, he was like a second father to me as a kid. Always a perfect hair cut, and he never had to ask a customer what they wanted he always remebered. Franco Policaro was a great guy.
Rudyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #43
OccupantRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyjr View Post
My dad took me to his barber shop that he had gone to for years for my first hair cut. The shop owners nephew had just immigrated from Italy and was the new guy cutting hair, so they let him cut mine. That was in 1958 and the same fine gentleman cut my hair my entire life until he became to ill to continue working, he passed away last year. He turned out to be probably one of the best barbers in Columbus Ohio and was known by about everyone in town. Many fond memories of the conversations that took place in his shop through the years, he was like a second father to me as a kid. Always a perfect hair cut, and he never had to ask a customer what they wanted he always remebered. Franco Policaro was a great guy.
Memories like this one are priceless.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #44
crewchief888

if and when i get my hair cut it all comes off
1/4"-1/2" long

usually just a couple times a year, spring and fall.

back in my teens, a friend of my moms used to come by the house to cut my hair.

mid 30's, blonde, big cans, always in a miniskirt and heels.

ah the memories !!!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #45
LAROKE

I whack my own off, Whack is the correct word because I just grab a fist full of ponytail and sissor thru it. Looks like hell but it costs nothing and my boss doesn't ask me to sit in any meetings. I know it's time when I find myself walking around my shop with a creeper hanging off my back.
LAROKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #46
jwillis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestus29 View Post

Give it another twenty years- one day you'll be sitting there wondering how you accumulated all the patience that you obtained with age and then it will dawn on you- you just don't give a $hit anymore...........
jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #47
Floorsweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
X2, we're smart guys (not saying anything)!
Floorsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote