Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
koditten

Default Tundra bumper start

Wanted something a bit more durable than what came from the factory. This is what I have so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumpertirerack 012.jpg (149.4 KB, 1063 views)
koditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
kartracer55

Default Re: Tundra bumper start

Look's good!

But I think what you are doing is pretty stupid. Bumpers are designed for safety in an accident, not just for you but forever you hit. You might be opening yourself up to some nasty lawsuits.

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
GirlnAgarage

Bumper is off to a good start. What size plate are you using?

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
lotsoftools

Looks good. Don't worry about what kartracer said, it will be fine.
lotsoftools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
koditten

I'm not worried about it, but appreciate it.

I decided to go with 10 gauge, actually a bit thinner than what the aftermarket units are using. Basicly, I'm just trying to minimize any deer colision damages. Around here it is not uncommon to have 3 encounters a year. And I don't mean in a good way.

I have other pics but the website keeps telling me to choose a file and upload fail. Guess you have to be happy with what I submitted previously.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
jorhay

Looks like a nice start
jorhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
I'm not worried about it, but appreciate it.

I decided to go with 10 gauge, actually a bit thinner than what the aftermarket units are using. Basicly, I'm just trying to minimize any deer colision damages. Around here it is not uncommon to have 3 encounters a year. And I don't mean in a good way.

I have other pics but the website keeps telling me to choose a file and upload fail. Guess you have to be happy with what I submitted previously.

Yep, deer can bang things up pretty good. Will you be adding a gill guard of any kind? I'm thinking about the body of a deer being tall enough to knock out things above the protected area of the bumper.

Looking forward to the rest

Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Interex

Looking forward to seeing the final product. I was thinking of going with an ARB on my '07 Tundra d-cab.
Interex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
koditten

I looked at all the common aftermarket bumpers that I could find out there on the "net". I took a bit from all of them and incorperated what I think I am going to like. The one thing that really bothered me was they all were over a grand for prices. I think I might have 250 in steel. Of course my labor is free. I have about 6 hours into what you see here

I still have to think about the bar across the top, havn't totally made up my mind. In most cases around here, we know that the deer are in the area. We are already going slow, we just don't want to take out the radiator.

I will need to cut some slots in the middle yet. the toyota radiator actually extends to the bottom of the bumper. To get full cooling I will have to remove some iron.

I wish I knew what was going on with posting of pictures. I have tried for the last 2 day on different machines and am having no luck. If anyone has and clues, bring them on.

Thank you for the compliments

Kirk
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
IndyGarage

Don't write off what Kartracer says so quickly. He's 100% right.

When you replace the front bumper of a vehicle, or even add a brush guard, you are interfering with carefully engineered safety systems - which you paid a bunch of money for, and might have to save yours or your passengers lives someday.

Do you know the difference between a crash implulse of a 10 mph parking lot fender bender and a 30mph head on looks like? I bet you could spot the difference if I showed them to you. However I bet you couldn't see a bit of difference if I showed you the first 15 milliseconds - which is when the computer needs to decide to blow the airbags or not.

When you alter the front of the vehicle, you alter that first 15 milliseconds significantly.

Your choice, of course, but you ought to at least be aware of the chance you are taking.
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
koditten

Yep. those are all important things to take into account. Thats why I have insurance. You, or I can not control all aspects of our entire lives.

If I worried about every bit of risk in my life, I could never even get out of bed. Please don't make this an argument. I acknowledged you and kartracer.

Besides that, what do I need to make it look better. Thats the only reason I posted the picks.

Thanks

Kirk
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
IndyGarage

Please take this as educated advice - not arguing. You have made your choice and it is yours to make - others looking at this thread may not understand the facts.

It looked like lotsoftools was blowing this off as insignificant, which it is not.

Traffic deaths in the United States have dropped in half since airbags were implemented in vehicles starting in the early 90's. While the number of drivers, vehicles, miles and speed limits have all gone up. The fact is they work - and yes, I know there are other factors in that figure too - but the death rate didn't go down until airbags were common.

By altering your vehicle you may be doubling or tripling your chance of dying in an accident. Now tripling a small chance makes it still small - but not zero.

This is one aspect of your life that you do have a choice over - I agree there are many you don't.
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
GirlnAgarage

I've got a Frontier Gear full replacement on my truck.

Features I like:

- fog light holes - I was able to keep my stock fog/driving lights. I use them all the time.

- gap for airflow - with an intercooler, radiator, tranny cooler and condensor, front incoming airflow is a must. The bumper is gapped enough for airflow at the bottom of the hood. The gap between the bumper and the crossbar on the grill guard matches up to that. I do have a little vertical adjustment of the bumper due to the bumper bracket between the frame and the bumper.

- cut out for tow hooks - let me keep my stock tow hooks. This slot also provides a foot hold for climbing up onto the front of the truck. It's tall, I'm short. The bumper adds a foot of horizontal reach. I climb up and sit on the grill guard while doing any maintenance.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
koditten

I just looked up you Fronteer gear bumper. Holy shit that is too cool. I was close to using treadplate, but opted for the smooth look. I am now starting to maybe regret my descision.

GiaG, Do you have a Tundra? I havn't decided if I want yellow fog lights as well as the driving lights. The only time I can ever remember using the yellow fog lights was during a mini blizzard and that was years ago.

I need to get these next decisions made before I start cutting out holes for lights.

I do like the idea of a bar to mount some serious off road lights. Were I routinly travel to and from work, I could actually use them because there is no one else on the road.

Edit: You mention an intercooler, must run a diesel. I'm pretty sure Toyota doesn't have one for the Tundra yet
Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
GirlnAgarage

No, Dodge Cummins. Giving you my likes and dislikes on the bumper itself.

My fogs are clears so I guess they're considered more like driving lights. They do great at lighting up the corner angles off the front of the truck. I like the more light the better when driving, especially rural at night. I hardly use high beams because I prefer the light pattern of lows + fogs.

Maybe tonight I'll get some pictures of the light patterns after dark.

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 06-24-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
toolmaker1

Nice looking bumper, the deer here are terrible as well. On the subject of airbags, are they normally triggered by an accelerometer or by actual force on a mechanical plunger? I can see the point if it is the latter but if it is triggered by an accelerometer I can't see how the bumper would affect it at all? Also with the multitudes of aftermarket bumpers of this style out there I would think if it was a major concern that all the sue happy lawyers would have litigated them out of existence by now
toolmaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
koditten

I never took a sensor apart. They seem to be sealed units. I do know that all the air bag sensors for the front are located on the core support, not the bumper it's self. I have removed the ECM for the air bags, that is located under the dash. I am sure there must be accelorometer incorperated with it. It has to do the job to detect side impacts as well. Thankfully that tested as good. That part alone was around 800 bucks.

The vehicle was previously in a wreck, because of that fact, I got it cheap. Of course when you buy a wrecked vehicle, you can never really trust that all the safety gear will work. And you know there is no way to test it without wrecking the vehicle again

I just wear my seatbelt and hope for the best, just like any normal person would.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Hopefully this pic posting thing gets resolved and I can have some progress pics later this weekend.

Kirk
Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
I never took a sensor apart. They seem to be sealed units. I do know that all the air bag sensors for the front are located on the core support, not the bumper it's self. I have removed the ECM for the air bags, that is located under the dash. I am sure there must be accelorometer incorperated with it. It has to do the job to detect side impacts as well. Thankfully that tested as good. That part alone was around 800 bucks.

The vehicle was previously in a wreck, because of that fact, I got it cheap. Of course when you buy a wrecked vehicle, you can never really trust that all the safety gear will work. And you know there is no way to test it without wrecking the vehicle again

I just wear my seatbelt and hope for the best, just like any normal person would.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Hopefully this pic posting thing gets resolved and I can have some progress pics later this weekend.

Kirk

Go to the 'Site Suggestions' subforum and there should be a sticky about how to post pics. That's probably better than me not explaining it very clear

Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
BD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGarage View Post
Please take this as educated advice - not arguing. You have made your choice and it is yours to make - others looking at this thread may not understand the facts.

It looked like lotsoftools was blowing this off as insignificant, which it is not.

Traffic deaths in the United States have dropped in half since airbags were implemented in vehicles starting in the early 90's. While the number of drivers, vehicles, miles and speed limits have all gone up. The fact is they work - and yes, I know there are other factors in that figure too - but the death rate didn't go down until airbags were common.

By altering your vehicle you may be doubling or tripling your chance of dying in an accident. Now tripling a small chance makes it still small - but not zero.

This is one aspect of your life that you do have a choice over - I agree there are many you don't.
Hi, good valid points, BUT, what do the companies do that sell after market bumpers etc ?? Won't they be liable too then ??? I do not remember seeing anything written about bumper modification law suits anywhere. Tough call.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
koditten

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnAgarage View Post
Go to the 'Site Suggestions' subforum and there should be a sticky about how to post pics. That's probably better than me not explaining it very clear
Just got done spending some time reviewing, no luck. How did I get the initial picture up, but nothing afterwards?

I was able to go to another forum and had zero issue with posting several pictures of the same bumper.

As for after market bumpers, I was thinking that as well. They are out there and people are buying them. I see no reason why I can't build my own.

Thanks

Kirk