Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
lowcountrygamecock

Default Homemade septic tank/Field lines

Wasnt sure where to ask this. Say a man was to want to build a home made septic tank and field lines for a small shop bathroom. Something that theoretically did not have to be built to code. How would he go about doing that? He wants to do it as close to code ad possible without going through dhec and without spending a fortune. Any thoughts? Theoretically of course.
lowcountrygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
theoldwizard1

Default Re: Homemade septic tank/Field lines

If you have sandy, well draining soil and a low water table (you do know what "low country" means, don't you ?) and we are talking one toilet and sink (no tub or shower), you can do it the old fashioned way.

Dig a pit about 8-10' deep. Lay about 1' of 3/4" gravel in the bottom. Put a 55 gallon drum in the pit. In the upper half of the barrel, drill a bunch of 3/4-1" holes. Make a hole in the top to receive the waste. Back fill the pit with 3/4" gravel up to the top of the barrel. Fill the rest with the dirt you removed. You want the top of the barrel to be at least 3-4' under the ground.

If you want to install a shower, do the same on the opposite side of the building.

As long as the volume is low (no jello wrestling that will require 10-15 people to shower) you will be fine. If you are going to have a well, I would make certain that it is about 40-50' away.

This does work ! My BIL has a some property where he camps. The wife wanted a "real" bathroom, not an out house. His only problem is refilling the water tank that is used to flush the toilet.

Last edited by theoldwizard1; 02-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
mad57

There was a small local business were we sold stuff from and they had problems with there septic after the man who rented it turned food vendor, well after digging it up it was a 55 gallon drum with holes from half way up to top surrounded by 3/4 clean rock with a pipe coming out the 3/4 area of the top of the barrel and into a broken up cinder block drain field, whick had layers of tar paper over it than reg dirt fill, worked great for many years until the restaurant guy came and washed tons of stuff all day long. should work great for you as well, if you add the septic helper it will work real good it in a small packet to help generate bacteria.

Iam also vice president of my car club: Wickedridesnj.com check it out!!!!
mad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
larry4406

My father in law's cottage in Canada has the system mad57 described, except that river rock was used instead of cinder block. He plumbed the toilet only to this system. The sink and the shower drain out on the ground.
larry4406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
sailcat

Try this site. I installed this system except I used 10 inch gravelless pipe for the drain field. I have not used it yet because the shop is not completed yet. http://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System
sailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
lowcountrygamecock

Thanks guys. That's why I love this forum.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
TommyK

I would recommend using at least 1 1/4" stone. The voids in the 3/4" will clog quicker. Line the hole with filter fabric and top the stone with it as well before backfilling. Theoretically.
TommyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
lowcountrygamecock

Does it have to be rock? They used chopped up rubber tires in my house system. Definitely easier for me to haul if that would work.